Sign in to follow this  
Sixter

What´s the verdict on Gonk?

So, on Gonk's card there are two separate actions available.

Does that mean you can use PTL and then use both actions in a turn to get a shield?

PTL doesn't let you use card actions, just action bar actions.  Experimental Interface however........

Oh, I see that now.  Awesomesaucey.

I guess I gotta put that YT-2400 on my list.  So much to buy....

Ex Int + Gonk allows the following four interactions :

• Perform an on-the-bar action, followed by banking a shield token on Gonk
  • Perform an on-the-bar action, followed by recovering a banked shield with Gonk
  • Bank a shield token on Gonk, followed by recovering a banked shield with Gonk
  • Recover a banked shield with Gonk, followed by Banking a shield token on Gonk

Note that options 3 and 4 are basically the same, though there may come a day where the difference matters.

personally, i'm a fan of Gonk. I put him on a super tank tel trevura build

Tel trevura

-r5-p8

-hull upgrade

-gonk

-glitterstim

I tend to throw bodyguard on there too to help the other ships in the list. This ship is the bane of any palp+aces list, since you have so much health. Gonk brings back shields as r5-p8 deals 1... 2... 3 damage to a soontir

The way I figure Gonk might function the most effortlessly is to bank a couple of shield tokens when the game is getting going and you don´t need your action. I figure by mid-game you will often have the option to disengage (since you are PS9 with barrel roll) and recharge a couple of shields. A couple of shields for 2 points and the crew slot might be worth it a lot of times. Besides that I figure Gonk will often provide you with a favorable end-game since that regen will really matter in a 1v1 duel.

The way I figure Gonk might function the most effortlessly is to bank a couple of shield tokens when the game is getting going and you don´t need your action. I figure by mid-game you will often have the option to disengage (since you are PS9 with barrel roll) and recharge a couple of shields. A couple of shields for 2 points and the crew slot might be worth it a lot of times. Besides that I figure Gonk will often provide you with a favorable end-game since that regen will really matter in a 1v1 duel.

An action to regenerate a shield is essentially the Evade action, excepting:

​It's superior to the Evade action vs TLT, Ion, Flechette, and Gunner effects

It's inferior to the Evade action vs On Hit effects, or when at full HP.

Not as good as R2-D2 for the verdict. Taking 2 turns of actions to regen a shield is really slow. You will have to find ways to bank shield tokens then when under fire feed them back to the pilot card. hopefully you will have enough to survive the onslaught but if it is not going well you won't have the opportunity to restock the tokens on gonk.

True, but R2-D2 doesn't work very well (*cough*at all*cough*) with a Scum build...

Yeah lets face it Rebels get all the good stuff and the other factions get to pick through the scraps (Although it should be the Imperials that get first dibs).

Does that mean you can use PTL and then use both actions in a turn to get a shield?

PTL doesn't let you use card actions, just action bar actions.  Experimental Interface however........

• Perform an on-the-bar action, followed by recovering a banked shield with Gonk

Note that options 3 and 4 are basically the same, though there may come a day where the difference matters.

Could I bank a shield, use PTL to do a focus (TL, evade, whatever on the bar), thereby triggering Ex Int to recover a banked shield? (and receiving 2 stress tokens)

Edited by LordTaos

Gonk with EI is very effective in some games, I played an event the other day with Tel running them which was... well... it regenned well at least. Didn't necessarily set the world on fire in terms of effectiveness, of course. I wonder whether there's a potential Hound's Tooth/Gonk/K4/EI/Feedback Array combo that would work well, though.

Could I bank a shield, use PTL to do a focus (TL, evade, whatever on the bar), thereby triggering Ex Int to recover a banked shield? (and receiving 2 stress tokens)

Yes. That's option 2, within a PTL nest off of banking a shield.

__underscore__, on 21 Mar 2016 - 3:56 PM, said:

Gonk with EI is very effective in some games, I played an event the other day with Tel running them which was... well... it regenned well at least. Didn't necessarily set the world on fire in terms of effectiveness, of course. I wonder whether there's a potential Hound's Tooth/Gonk/K4/EI/Feedback Array combo that would work well, though.

Yes that works well.  Highly recommend that hounds tooth build.