Sign in to follow this  
KungFuFerret

Clarify the Stun Glove for me

So i keep reading the stun glove description and I still don't get it. The fluff text makes it sound like it can drop people with 1 activation, but as I understand the rules all it does is 3 strain damage if I burn 3 advantage. This hardly seems that amazing, given what most people have for soak. I feel like I am missing something here. Can someone please explain how this item is useful? Because it doesn't seem to be a good idea to get it.

If you're not in combat rounds, a Skulduggery-powered handshake might be just the ticket to drop someone!

In combat, if your target is prepared, then a strong attack (say Brawn 3, 4 successes...or a couple ranks in Feral Strength...or perhaps the Soft Spot talent) that generates about 7-8 damage will get you almost there. Then, spend 2 Advantage to activate the Stun quality and you're gone be dropping just about any minion with one well-placed hit.

Edited by awayputurwpn

If you're not in combat rounds, a Skulduggery-powered handshake might be just the ticket to drop someone!

In combat, if your target is prepared, then a strong attack (say Brawn 3, 4 successes...or a couple ranks in Feral Strength...or perhaps the Soft Spot talent) that generates about 7-8 damage will get you almost there. Then, spend 2 Advantage to activate the Stun quality and you're gone be dropping just about any minion with one well-placed hit.

So the main benefit is that it is 3 guaranteed strain on top of what you normally do with the attack? Which you can elect to be strain as well? Ok I guess that makes sense. The no bonus damage to the attack made it seem pointless. Thanks Edited by KungFuFerret

So the main benefit is that it is 3 guaranteed strain on top of what you normally do with the attack? Which you can elect to be strain as well? Ok I guess that makes sense. The no bonus damage to the attack made it seem pointless. Thanks

It's also 3 Strain you inflict with a simple successful check and a pair of Advantages or a Triumph.  So even the 98 lbs. weakling can potentially inflict some Strain on the 400 lbs. Wookiee with 10 Soak.

Just don't wear the Shock Glove in the rain.  Trust me.....
Also, one wonders if a tech or tinker could modify the Shock Glove.  Everybody seen Tim Burton's "Batman"?   Yup.

Edited by LugWrench

I think every game I've ever run has had one player who read the fluff of the shock gloves and got very excited that they could use it for some real underhanded dealing and scoundrelry. They all then attempt to use it in combat, and are always disappointed.

I think every game I've ever run has had one player who read the fluff of the shock gloves and got very excited that they could use it for some real underhanded dealing and scoundrelry. They all then attempt to use it in combat, and are always disappointed.

Well if the effect was to say, oh I don't know, stagger the target for a round or two, then I would understand the description more.  It's basically a stun gun, but as a glove.  Gives you a few seconds to either run away, or steal something, or whatever, but otherwise doesn't actually hurt the target.  Seems reasonable to me, and more in line with the actual description, as well as most narrative uses of a "stun" weapon.   With the way the rules about how the effect works, it's not really a "stun" glove, and more a "mildly annoying zot that might knock you out after several attempts, assuming you get enough advantage" glove  :D

The Backhand gloves from Far Horizons have the Concussive quality, that does stagger the opponent if that's what you are going for. It has some drawbacks, however.

If you are trying to maximize your ability to cold-cock an opponent, I might suggest a fully modded Stun Pulse attachment on a Brawl weapon as it provides Stun 5.

The Backhand gloves from Far Horizons have the Concussive quality, that does stagger the opponent if that's what you are going for. It has some drawbacks, however.

If you are trying to maximize your ability to cold-cock an opponent, I might suggest a fully modded Stun Pulse attachment on a Brawl weapon as it provides Stun 5.

Didn't know about that glove, thanks.   And no, I'm not looking to maximize my knock out ability with brawl, it was just no matter how many times I looked at that item, based on my understanding of the rules, I didn't see the usefulness of it at all.  It seemed to be way more effort to use it than what you were actually getting as reward.