Sign in to follow this  
Boris_the_Dwarf

12 pts. for 1 attack die?

So I have been trying to understand the logic of the decision to make the Punishing One title card 12 points. Frankly, I can't figure it out - especially when I look at the Inquistor card versus his counterparts. He gets to attack as though he is at range 1 but his cost does not jump 12 points over the other pilots in the pack. What's more, he takes away a target's defense die at range 3. Am I missing something here?

Yes, if the Jumpmaster gets into range 1, it's throwing FOUR dice, the TAP only gets three, regardless of range, plus, with possible TL, you can reroll all of them, if necessary, and if you add gunner, you can save your TL, and use it on the gunner attack if your first attack misses. Wacky combos like that are why the title costs 12 points.

So I have been trying to understand the logic of the decision to make the Punishing One title card 12 points. Frankly, I can't figure it out - especially when I look at the Inquistor card versus his counterparts. He gets to attack as though he is at range 1 but his cost does not jump 12 points over the other pilots in the pack. What's more, he takes away a target's defense die at range 3. Am I missing something here?

The final cost of 12 in this case would have been determined after extensive play testing.

I think the biggest thing you need to do is compare a Jumpmaster 5000 with 12 point Punishing One title equipped to another 3 attack PWT such as the Falcon, Decimator, or even a cannon equipped Outrider. Determine if their costs are similar and then take into account small differences for abilities and acces to certain things within a faction.

Yes, on the surface 12 points may seem like a lot but when you view the totals in the appropriate context it isn't going to look crazy. If anything it may show you the value in a generic Jumpmaster sans title.

Basically, the Jumpmaster can make better use of that die than the Inquisitor. Between general survivability and the ability to shoot out of arc, that red die is going to be a lot more useful on the JM. It's sorta like how a Stealth Device is much better on Soontir than on a generic TIE; Soontir is better able to capitalize on that bonus die.

Edited by Ailowynn

It is specific to the ship as it is a title, and I think it is worth the cost. If it were a title on a hawk adding one red dice it would be worth far, far less.

Some of the generic mods (like the stealth device mentioned above) have to have one cost placed on them, and the value of that mod will differ from ship to ship. Titles are specific and should be pretty accurate as to the value it holds to the ship. If 12 points is overcosted we will not see the title being used, and it is my opinion that we indeed will see people using it.

Unless 12 points can get you a TIE fighter.  Being Scum, it can not.

And if you pick Dengar, and someone just happens to be in your firing arc attacking you, you get to shoot that 12 point add-on twice. 

No, but 12 points for S&V can get you a PS2 Z95 Pirate...

People felt the same way for a 11 point damage bump on the outrider, yes it did bump the attack up to 4, but at the same time it made a range one whole where you couldn't attack at all.

Oh and how often do you see Dash without having his title and HLC?

Dash comes WITHOUT the title and HLC?

Dr Zoidberg, on 20 Mar 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

When you look at what natural 3 PWT ships cost (e.g. Decimator, Falcon), it makes sense.  FFG has clearly decided that a 3 PWT should be priced in 40 points range.

And this is why the TLT Y-wing is almost twice as cheap as it should be ;)

3 Attack dice primary turret weapons have to be expensive.

Only because they made the card so expensive they could make the cost of the platform ship carring it so cheap. Compare it to the decimator of the falcon. Not a small in arc ships like the Inquisitor.

Also to be noted is that the card was designed with the synergy of Punishing One title in mind.  That is, it's +1 attack dice on a PWT which could potentially be attacking twice in a given round (if Dengar conditions met).