Sign in to follow this  
JanB

Idea: Armor Piercing

Hi Folks,

tried to build a deck around Thalin and his Armor Piercing Ability. Modern enemies are tough with high armor and perhaps low hitpoints. So Thalin and his Fellowship should do a good work:

Tri-Sphere - Amarthiul Aragorn Thalin - Armor Piercing
50 Cards, 3 Heroes, Startingthreat: 31

Heroes

1x Amarthiúl (Amarthiúl) (115 AE5 Carn Dúm) 
1x Aragorn (Aragorn) (053 ZB3 Wächter) 
1x Thalin (Thalin) (006 Grundspiel)

Allies

3x Anborn (Anborn) (004 HdR4 Land) 
2x Buchenbein (Beechbone) (118 AE5 Carn Dúm) 
3x Galadhon-Bogenschützin (Galadhon Archer) (087 RM4 Nîn-in-Eilph) 
3x Gandalf (Gandalf) (073 Grundspiel) 
1x Mablung (Mablung) (005 HdR4 Land) 
3x Speerträger Gondors (Gondorian Spearman) (029 Grundspiel) 
2x Spurenleser aus Ithilien (Ithilien Tracker) (015 EvN Númenor) 
1x Vorsteher der Heiler (Warden of Healing) (083 ZB4 Dunkelheit)

Attachments

1x Celebríans Stein (Celebrían's Stone) (027 Grundspiel) 
1x Das geborstene Schwert (Sword that was Broken) (055 ZB3 Wächter) 
2x Falle im Wald (Forest Snare) (069 Grundspiel) 
1x Flügelfuss (Wingfoot) (092 RM4 Nîn-in-Eilph) 
1x Hauptmann von Gondor (Captain of Gondor) (140 RM6 Geweihkrone) 
3x Speer der Veste (Spear of the Citadel) (009 EvN Númenor) 
1x Truchsess von Gondor (Steward of Gondor) (026 Grundspiel) 
3x Waldläuferbogen (Ranger Bow) (088 GdS4 Osgiliath)

Events

1x Ein vorausgeahntes Unglück (Expecting Mischief) (018 KH1 Hobbit 1) 
1x Flinker Hieb (Swift Strike) (037 Grundspiel) 
3x Frische Spuren (Fresh Tracks) (078 ZB4 Dunkelheit) 
3x Orkspalter (Goblin-cleaver) (016 KH1 Hobbit 1) 
3x Ruf der Waldläufer (Ranger Summons) (007 VK Königreich) 
2x Schleichangriff (Sneak Attack) (023 Grundspiel) 
1x Steinhagel (Hail of Stones) (032 ZB2 Bruchtal) 
2x Streit untereinander (Infighting) (058 SdD3 Rhosgobel) 
3x Verfolgung der Feinde (Pursuing the Enemy) (060 RM3 Tharbad)

Edited by JanB

The only permanent way I see to buff Mirkwood Runner are two card combos:

First Rivendell Bow (for ranged), then Bow of the Galadhrim (for +1 attack, +2 not engaged)

First Nor am I Stranger (for Rohan), then Spear of the Mark (for +1 attack, +2 not engaged).

Since the latter cards are restricted, he maxes out at 4 attack, 6 attack if not engaged, three attachments required

If you can stand the discard, the best three-card ally combo would be with Trollshaw scout and another player.

Rivendell Blade, Rivendell Blade, Rivendell Bow.  That gets him to 3/4 attack (can combined with others) with -4 defense per attack for the phase.  For a non-immune boss, you can attack him twice with -8 defense for the second attack.  If he's engaged with both players from staging, you can use Hands Upon the Bow to attack a third time at 6 attack and -12 defense.

I didn't think the same character could attack the same enemy twice in the combat phase without gaining additional attacks through card effects like Quick Strike, even if it was through ranged.

Edited by Slothgodfather

I believe a ranged attacker can both join an attack declared by another player and declare attacks against enemies engaged with other players. It's rare to see because you would normally use all your attackers at once due to the nature of defense.

There's also Narya for boosting attack. You could send your Trollshaw scouts on the quest then ready them up in the combat phase to declare a bunch of attacks.

@Jane I like the concept of a direct damage deck that basically cuts enemies down like a buzz saw before they can do anything. I have never been able to get it to work. The heroes you chose seem odd to me. Why not a ranged hero for hand upon the bow? You then put in the lore Anborn, which seems expensive, with traps (but not Ambush). This mixes themes. Why not put in purple Anborn who also does direct damage? Hail of stones is an amazing direct damage card, but only one copy and not enough allies to make it work. I guess I don't quite see what the deck is trying to do.

I find Haldir, Damrod and Thalin to be a really good pairing for this strategy.  Ambush and Ranger Spikes are pivotal to what you are trying to accomplish.  To get multiple uses out of Haldir, either have a second deck that runs Unexpected Courage and/or use a warhorse.  

Expecting Mischief, Forest Patrol and even Goblin-Cleaver are useful.   Mablung (ally) is good for pushing enemies back into traps, Master of the Forge helps you dig for traps and weapons alike.  Galadhon Archer adds a touch more direct damage as well.

You could use elf-friend to get Anborn into play for cheap, then sword-thain him.    Or if you swap Damrod for a leadership hero like Theodred then you could use sneak attack.

but no, I have not tried that.  I actually haven't used Sword-thain once considering it is basically a unique Resourceful unless you get some other advantage from having a 4th hero. 

Edited by Slothgodfather

Sneak Attack / Anborrn / Sword Thain / Wingfoot .... 4 cards 6 resources. I think given the right deck you get get this by turn 2. That could be pretty fun.

Interesting. So every time an enemy is revealed you can ready Anborn and then use his response to do a damage and raise engagement.

I'm not sure this is a workable solo idea, but if you can get the Anborn combo set up with Thalin and then have a green deck with Ranger bows you could kill every revealed enemy right as it comes out.

Idraen is an excellent target for Ranger Bow (in the paired deck) since you can put two on her and with other location management tools you can get multiple uses out of her easily. 

Seastan - with no chump blockers, I think a feint or two might be required for early game.  or the other quest deck will need to be able to handle itself some early on.  but i do like the idea of adding the 2 extra dmg during defense.  very nice.

The main counter to the early attackers is the low threat rather than feint, but you're right. You could buy a turn before you get your Spear out with Goblin Cleaver in hand. But spending that resource on feint just postpones your ability to play your Spearmen. The idea is no never have to attack or even reveal shadows. It's really hard to say how well it works without testing it out. I think it's more a fun exercise than a power deck.

That is a fair point.   If you paired that deck with Haldir and some weapons, he could finish off any enemies that weren't auto-killed  before they attack.   I'd likely trade the 2x mablung for 2x Errand Riders, to help smooth resources out.   Sam's are nearly useless.

Edited by Slothgodfather

@Jane I like the concept of a direct damage deck that basically cuts enemies down like a buzz saw before they can do anything. I have never been able to get it to work. The heroes you chose seem odd to me. Why not a ranged hero for hand upon the bow? You then put in the lore Anborn, which seems expensive, with traps (but not Ambush). This mixes themes. Why not put in purple Anborn who also does direct damage? Hail of stones is an amazing direct damage card, but only one copy and not enough allies to make it work. I guess I don't quite see what the deck is trying to do.

@Duke: I should have mentioned that the deck is not for Solo .. it's for me in my multiplayer group. As you see "with colors" i used leadership Anborn. The lore vision makes no sense in my deck. As i figured out that i need leadership and lore besides my tactic Thalin i choose Amarthiul because he easily gets the tactics resource icon and aragorn who can use wingfoot, is a sentinel and helps me with out with thread. I mostly run support-decks so the "good" ranged heroes are in other decks. Besides this a good ranged setup requires some cards and this is not my focus.

I find Haldir, Damrod and Thalin to be a really good pairing for this strategy.  Ambush and Ranger Spikes are pivotal to what you are trying to accomplish.  To get multiple uses out of Haldir, either have a second deck that runs Unexpected Courage and/or use a warhorse.  

Then the focus of the deck will be more placing traps and snipe enemies.

Has anyone tried Thalin paired with Leardersip Anborn+Sword Thain+Wingfoot? You could get 2 damage on every enemy right from the start, not to mention giving them all +5 engagement cost.

That was my first idea by building this deck. I think i will make some kind of sideboard with 3 copies of each. I think it is currently one of the best sword-thain-combos.

You could use elf-friend to get Anborn into play for cheap, then sword-thain him.  

How can elf-friend lower the cost of Anborn?

Edited by JanB

That is a fair point.   If you paired that deck with Haldir and some weapons, he could finish off any enemies that weren't auto-killed  before they attack.   I'd likely trade the 2x mablung for 2x Errand Riders, to help smooth resources out.   Sam's are nearly useless.

Yeah Sam and Anborn's resources aren't used much. I liked Mablung in theory because he combos with Anborn - if you didn't manage to kill an enemy you can play down Mablung and use Anborn to finish them off. Then I realized that Anborn would be useless the rest of the round because Wingfoot requires you to commit to the quest to obtain the ready effect.

I liked Mablung in theory because he combos with Anborn - if you didn't manage to kill an enemy you can play down Mablung and use Anborn to finish them off. Then I realized that Anborn would be useless the rest of the round because Wingfoot requires you to commit to the quest to obtain the ready effect.

Cram? Not that that you have lots of flex slots for conditional cards or anything. But in a fun deck like this idea, might be worth a try.

So after implementing some suggestions for my version of the Anoborn/Wingfoot combo (http://seastan.github.io/#/deck/id:AMIw8xkIYL), I took it up against a couple quests paired with a Silvan/Haldir deck and man is it a blast to play. Got the combo out on turn 2 thanks to a Peace and Thought and Tighten our belts, and The Seventh Level didn't know what hit them! On multiple occasions we turned up 2 enemies which both immediately died. Never had to resolve a single shadow for the entire game.

Hey Seastan - Would you post the Silvan/Haldir deck you paired that with?   Did you just try to keep your threat low enough to not engage things and pick everything off?  And typically quest with all 3(4) of your heroes each round?

Hey Seastan - Would you post the Silvan/Haldir deck you paired that with?   Did you just try to keep your threat low enough to not engage things and pick everything off?  And typically quest with all 3(4) of your heroes each round?

The Silvan deck wasn't mine, so I can't post the full list. But it was a Haldir Mirlonde Celeborn deck with all the cards that would make sense in it.

I would quest with all my ready heroes. Sam and Pippin were often preoccupied by being peaceful and thinking deeply.