Sign in to follow this  
pokeyg23

I'm excited about Wave 3 and think it's brilliant!

I'm excited about Wave 3.  I think Fleet Support upgrade is going to be huge.  It's like adding Mini-Admirals to your fleet.  Furthermore, with the flotillas being inexpensive units, you can add multiples to your fleet, making a tremendous number of different possible combinations.

Speaking of them being cheap, this now brings a whole new dimension to Activation advantages.  Are people going to bring floods of flotillas to force the other player to deploy and move first?  There could be a concern for slowing down the game, but with only one dice for attacks, these should be VERY fast activations.

And it increases the number of strategic choices in the game.  Do you use one of your ship's attacks against a flotilla to try and reduce your opponent’s Fleet Supports?  Do you use your attacks against larger targets worth more points and ignore the flotillas?  What about maneuvering and trying to run over your opponent's flotillas?  Or using your own flotillas in a suicide run to block other ships?  (FFG, please have a self-destruct upgrade!)

Additionally, if you choose to attack flotillas, for the first time with a ship, you now have to deal with a Scatter defense.  "Oh, you rolled enough damage to one-shot the flotilla?  Scatter."  Accuracies just gained some significant importance, and flotillas are going to just ignore black dice that don't have some kind of help.

Was I expecting more?  Sure.  We only have one large and medium ship per faction.  But these two little additions are going to add a LOT of options for Fleet Building and Strategy.  Giving us four additional ships that just fired X number of dice out of arcs wouldn't have affected the game anywhere NEAR as much as these two units.

I'm very happy with this announcement.

The big thing to bear in mind, too, is that this probably isn't all of Wave III. The picture was titled "revised_armada-wave3-title-image.jpg", so what did they revise?

But I agree with you. Even if this was it for the wave, it's a cheap thing to add on and adds a ton of diversity to fleet building. I'm thinking my Tarkin triple VSD list could morph into a 2 VSD, 2 Gozanti list with those Bomber Command Centers. Rhymer is off laughing maniacally somewhere.

And yeah, Demolisher is going to hate those flotillas. A flotilla could suck up a last/first Demolisher activation and suffer zero damage, so you could always use them to screen against that little bugger.

Really, a mass of Assault Carriers pushing forward an even more massive wave of Bombers with Tarkin passing out tokens like candy would be hilarious.

Another thread about Wave 3! Why you couldn't add to the other ones is beyond me! At least you aren't pulling an Admiral Nelson :P

Accuracies aren't that hard to get. And I don't think these flotillas will like being shot at by even a Cr90. The rebel player in me would rather take some Cr90s over GR-75s, but that is just my opinion. 

Another thread about Wave 3! Why you couldn't add to the other ones is beyond me! At least you aren't pulling an Admiral Nelson :P

Dang. I was just about to start a new thread called " Wave III - Bringing New Hope to the galaxy once more" but since everyone is clearly against the idea of anyone mentioning Star wars Armada ever ever again I may as well quit this forum with immediate effect. :)

I guess I'll just " See you in hell" :D

Agreed.  While we all want more ships for flexibility in list design, these little guys add more depth to list design.  This game is still very young -- I think broadening the categories of ships is more important than the number of ships within each category for the time being. 

And yes, I think we'll still see another ship each with this wave anyway.  Looking forward to these!

Agreed.  While we all want more ships for flexibility in list design, these little guys add more depth to list design.  This game is still very young -- I think broadening the categories of ships is more important than the number of ships within each category for the time being. 

And yes, I think we'll still see another ship each with this wave anyway.  Looking forward to these!

That's something I was discussing with my friends after the announcement. Truthfully, almost all of the "iconic" OT ships and aces are already in the game (except, of course, for Piett and the Executor). Adding new ships from (somewhere) for the sake of doing it won't give the game depth. New ways to use those ships (flotillas, new upgrade cards to shake up the meta) are how you add additional depth to the game more so than "Hey look another angry space triangle!"

I would have loved to see more, because more is usually better, but the more I think about it the more my wallet and I are perfectly happy with the announcement thus far. 

Yeah, I know. All the other threads seem to be informational or full of hate, though. I wanted to throw ONE out there with some actual love for the new Wave!

I too am looking forward to this wave, mostly because I have tried getting the support element into my lists but even a Neb-b is a very expensive ship to just use as support. These new ships are made for the purpose, and that makes me all warm inside.

The fact that the Endor battle fleet jumping in actually makes sense to me now.... that is a wonderful thing!

Concentrate all firepower on that super star destroyer!

So many answers still. Will motti/ tarkin and ackbar effect flotilla? Can a flotilla really block a mc80 from moving? What upgrades do they get?

I be really upset if flotilla could block medium or large base ships from moving. Yes the capital ship doesnt take dmg, but it could slow it down enough for other to break it or prevent it from getting it best shots off.

So many answers still. Will motti/ tarkin and ackbar effect flotilla? Can a flotilla really block a mc80 from moving? What upgrades do they get?

I be really upset if flotilla could block medium or large base ships from moving. Yes the capital ship doesnt take dmg, but it could slow it down enough for other to break it or prevent it from getting it best shots off.

Takin will affect them. They are ships after all. The question is if they are considered small ships or a new category

And Ackbar will do nothing for them. Ackbar is an "add" effect. You have to have a dice pool to begin with in order to add dice, so therefore the Rebel transport will gain no benefit. I'm almost positive Ackbar is the entire reason they have no side armament. On the plus side, there is a good chance they'll be cheaper than your Imperial counterpart as a result.

The fact that the Endor battle fleet jumping in actually makes sense to me now.... that is a wonderful thing!

I completely agree. I was dreading the day they tried to shoehorn the Rebel transport into Armada. I couldn't see any benefit of doing so. Now, not only am I excited to have them, but FFG has retroactively made the Battle of Endor more awesome.

And Ackbar will do nothing for them. Ackbar is an "add" effect. You have to have a dice pool to begin with in order to add dice, so therefore the Rebel transport will gain no benefit. I'm almost positive Ackbar is the entire reason they have no side armament. On the plus side, there is a good chance they'll be cheaper than your Imperial counterpart as a result.

Correct, page 2 of the FAQ under Attack.

I completely agree. I was dreading the day they tried to shoehorn the Rebel transport into Armada. I couldn't see any benefit of doing so. Now, not only am I excited to have them, but FFG has retroactively made the Battle of Endor more awesome.

I have posted it everywhere. Just missing the Interdictor for this which I expect will have a fleet support slot now.

https://youtu.be/PN_CP4SuoTU

That's something I was discussing with my friends after the announcement. Truthfully, almost all of the "iconic" OT ships and aces are already in the game (except, of course, for Piett and the Executor). Adding new ships from (somewhere) for the sake of doing it won't give the game depth. New ways to use those ships (flotillas, new upgrade cards to shake up the meta) are how you add additional depth to the game more so than "Hey look another angry space triangle!"

I would have loved to see more, because more is usually better, but the more I think about it the more my wallet and I are perfectly happy with the announcement thus far.

While I agree, there is at least one other "iconic" ship we need from RotJ*, and three other not so "iconic" ships from the same.

*The MC80 Liberty*

MC80A

BraTok Gun Ship

Tector-class Star Destroyer (though, I fully get the "that is a made up thing" hate some people feel for this one.)

Plenty of time though.

Honestly, I was hoping the Empire would get an extra ship to even out the options, but I still have hope.

I have posted it everywhere. Just missing the Interdictor for this which I expect will have a fleet support slot now.

I watch it every time it gets posted. It's everything Armada is trying to be.

I watch it every time it gets posted. It's everything Armada is trying to be.

About a year ago, I watched that animated short.  About an hour later, I impulse bought Armada.  True story.

Dear FFG: Please give Paul Johnson a cookie or something.  I'm sure he's driving sales somehow.

I was seriously considering making a fel, rhymer, and howlrunner "alt art" card featuring the Tie Fighter pilots.  I think the blonde admiral seems to be a good screed equivalent as well, seeing as how he gets his NK-7 ions to respond at his command!