Sign in to follow this  
Teokrata

Greedo

Hello

I have rules question about x-wing crew card GREEDO:

"The first time you attack each round and the first time you defend each round, the first Damage card dealt is dealt faceup."

When I don't get any dmg in FIRST defense in a round, but get dmg card the SECOND time I defended - Greedo triggers or not?

I ask becouse of "the first time You defend" text and in example it is first time when ship with Greedo is dealt dmg but the second time when it defend.

Waiting for answer

When I don't get any dmg in FIRST defense in a round, but get dmg card the SECOND time I defended - Greedo triggers or not?

If you take damage or not doesn't matter. You are defending any time an enemy ship attacks your ship and you roll defense dice.

If you take damage or not doesn't matter. You are defending any time an enemy ship attacks your ship and you roll defense dice.

However, only the first one is the first time you defend each round.

I would say that Greedo only causes the ship he's on to take damage faceup if that damage is applied in the first attack each round that the ship defends against, that seems to be RAW.  He also wouldn't work e.g. on the second attack of cluster missiles, even if the first dealt no damage.

If it was intended the other way it should have said 'the first damage card you receive each round is dealt faceup'.

Edited by thespaceinvader

However, only the first one is the first time you defend each round.

I would say that Greedo only causes the ship he's on to take damage faceup if that damage is applied in the first attack each round that the ship defends against, that seems to be RAW.  He also wouldn't work e.g. on the second attack of cluster missiles, even if the first dealt no damage.

If it was intended the other way it should have said 'the first damage card you receive each round is dealt faceup'.

That's the thing I always playe as 'the first damage card you receive each round is dealt faceup' but now I noticed text "the first time You defend each round" and have doubts about it...

My read on it is...

If the Greedo-equipped ship can make more than one attack in a round, it's only the first time you roll your attack dice that a damage card, if dealt, will be face up regardless if it's a [boom] or [kaboom]

Likewise...

If the Greedo-equipped ship is attacked multiple times in a round, it is only the first time that you roll defense that, if a damage is dealt to you, it will be face-up. Any additional attacks against you will resolve as normal face-down or face-up as appropriate.