Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

The model for the GHOST is so big

Here's a shot I took when I got mine, to give you an idea of the various scales.

20160311_150038.jpg

In order that's a T-65 X-Wing, K-Wing, YT-1300, Ghost, GR75, and CR-90.

:( I don't see the picture

This is why external hosting is important. I also can't see it.

Are those cubicles in the background? Is this your OFFICE??

I'm jealous.

Yup, I work at a pretty fun place.  And here's the external host I used for the image, thought they would just hotlink and include from there.

Huh, CR-90 in Rebels seems to be more or less the same size relative to the Ghost as in X-wing

Maybe the screenshots give it the illusion of looking bigger than it is? The CR-90 is some 3 times the length of the Ghost (126.68 m, compared to the Ghost's 43.9 m).

The classic CR-90 figure was 150m - but I think the newcanon downsized it slightly.

It looks like they made the Ghost to where it stands taller than the others to avoid bumps.

That said, in mirror matches (both sides fielding a Ghost or two), tall bases won't help any.

Could someone confirm the model height when its off the base? Someone in another threat mentioned it at 2.25 inches? How does the model height compare to something like the Hound's tooth?

The jaws of my calipers aren't quite long enough to get super accurate but I would say it is very close to 2 1/8 inches. Or about an eighth of an inch too much to fit into my toolbox. Grrr.

Could someone confirm the model height when its off the base? Someone in another threat mentioned it at 2.25 inches? How does the model height compare to something like the Hound's tooth?

The jaws of my calipers aren't quite long enough to get super accurate but I would say it is very close to 2 1/8 inches. Or about an eighth of an inch too much to fit into my toolbox. Grrr.

Reading this I had a flash back to that 80's movie about Nintendo games, were the kid comes over with a case just to hold the Power Glove. I am getting images of people going to SC and Worlds with a large metal case, setting it down on the table and removing the Ghost.

Scale isn't as important as appearance

To you perhaps, but for many of us scale is very much a part of appearance. If the Ghost, Falcon or X-Wing didn't look the proper size on the table next to other ships then that impacts appearance quite a lot.

A Ghost that isn't much bigger than a Falcon isn't a ship I'd be nearly as interested in buying, because it wouldn't look right.

I only started playing because everything was so perfectly in scale

Stayed for the fantastic game but scale matters

Ditto. And lack of scale is the biggest thing keeping me away from Armada.

why all the whining over its size?

its BEAUTIFUL!!

It's a gameplay issue, one thankfully mitigated by its unique flight stand being at a height where even a Large ship on two pegs won't collide, but man...

It is... factually... twice as big as its base in all directions. It's straddling the line between Huge and Large, and was probably only Large because they NEEDED it in their 'main' game rather than in Epic, a format they're not supporting competitively so it gets little attention from the fanatic players.

It annoys me from a design standpoint. In the actual game, the BASE is the only important part of the miniature; realistically we could be playing this with cardboard squares the same size as the bases, labeled appropriately. A ship that exceeds the size of their base unfairly extends the gameplay area of that model and requires the removal of the miniature to make it playable (Which kinda kills the whole POINT of the beautiful minis!)

Therefore, the minis should be sized to fit on the bases to keep the gameplay aspect intact while leaving the minis untouched. Scale isn't as important as appearance; we know what a Falcon looks like because of its circle shape, not because it's exactly 12.87cm long to be a perfect 1/270 scale.

We're not model-makers, we're game-players. Otherwise the Tantive would be over 50cm long (instead of a svelte 32cm).

But... that ship has sailed, and the chance to rate gameplay over minis long gone.

I do know if I ever get a K-Wing, I'm reangling it so that it's banking and can fit on its base.

It could be worse. We could be playing a game system where converting a model can easily result in an in-game advantage...