Sign in to follow this  
Velvetelvis

The model for the GHOST is so big

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

A terrorist ship without any agility should be easy pickings...

Not when it's COATED IN LAYERS OF PLOT ARMOUR

Plot armor is the most effective defense. Batman never leaves the cave without it, and he's frakin' invincible.

Nonono, in Batman case it's all BAT_something

so he has BATarmour.

p.s. a bit about batman offtopic: I swore that if JM5k featured 5 or more 3-speed maneuvers I'd make a tiny unhinged droid, and paint the ship Bat-black with a yellow sign.

pity, but it's not the case, so I'll be making a Punisher-mandalor skull instead xD

Well if you check the first episode of rebels there is clear view of ghost docked to gozanti-class cruiser  and it is more than half of the cruiser long and mostly the same width  so you see the ship is very large, on the verge of being in huge ships category.

I am curious how it looks next to the CR-90 since we see it docked to one in the show and since the FFG one is supposed to be slightly smaller.

Yes if someone has one handy please post a picture.  I'm curious as well.

Don't forget, the scale of the CR90 is smaller than that of the Ghost. The Ghost is the same scale as that of the small ships. You should compare it to the Gozanti which is in the same scale.

I am curious how it looks next to the CR-90 since we see it docked to one in the show and since the FFG one is supposed to be slightly smaller.

Don't forget, the scale of the CR90 is smaller than that of the Ghost. The Ghost is the same scale as that of the small ships. You should compare it to the Gozanti which is in the same scale.

No I didn't forget.  I wanted to see how they appeared together.  Sometimes sliding scale is okay sometimes not.  The GR Transport looks a little dwarfed by some ships that should be smaller than it.  Again I know they are a different scale.

No I didn't forget.  I wanted to see how they appeared together.  Sometimes sliding scale is okay sometimes not.  The GR Transport looks a little dwarfed by some ships that should be smaller than it.  Again I know they are a different scale.

Yeah, I wish they had upped the size of the transport a bit.

why all the whining over its size?

its BEAUTIFUL!!

It's a gameplay issue, one thankfully mitigated by its unique flight stand being at a height where even a Large ship on two pegs won't collide, but man...

It is... factually... twice as big as its base in all directions. It's straddling the line between Huge and Large, and was probably only Large because they NEEDED it in their 'main' game rather than in Epic, a format they're not supporting competitively so it gets little attention from the fanatic players.

It annoys me from a design standpoint. In the actual game, the BASE is the only important part of the miniature; realistically we could be playing this with cardboard squares the same size as the bases, labeled appropriately. A ship that exceeds the size of their base unfairly extends the gameplay area of that model and requires the removal of the miniature to make it playable (Which kinda kills the whole POINT of the beautiful minis!)

Therefore, the minis should be sized to fit on the bases to keep the gameplay aspect intact while leaving the minis untouched. Scale isn't as important as appearance; we know what a Falcon looks like because of its circle shape, not because it's exactly 12.87cm long to be a perfect 1/270 scale.

We're not model-makers, we're game-players. Otherwise the Tantive would be over 50cm long (instead of a svelte 32cm).

But... that ship has sailed, and the chance to rate gameplay over minis long gone.

I do know if I ever get a K-Wing, I'm reangling it so that it's banking and can fit on its base.

Scale isn't as important as appearance

To you perhaps, but for many of us scale is very much a part of appearance. If the Ghost, Falcon or X-Wing didn't look the proper size on the table next to other ships then that impacts appearance quite a lot.

A Ghost that isn't much bigger than a Falcon isn't a ship I'd be nearly as interested in buying, because it wouldn't look right.

To you perhaps, but for many of us scale is very much a part of appearance. If the Ghost, Falcon or X-Wing didn't look the proper size on the table next to other ships then that impacts appearance quite a lot.

A Ghost that isn't much bigger than a Falcon isn't a ship I'd be nearly as interested in buying, because it wouldn't look right.

I only started playing because everything was so perfectly in scale

Stayed for the fantastic game but scale matters

I do know if I ever get a K-Wing, I'm reangling it so that it's banking and can fit on its base.

Good luck with that!

I just tried it, you'd need to put it 5-10 degrees off vertical axis :D

I want to see the Ghost next to a Gozanti. When I first saw them side-by-side in the show, I think the expansion had already been announced. I was stunned at how big it was next to what would be an epic ship for X-Wing.

Here's a shot I took when I got mine, to give you an idea of the various scales.

20160311_150038.jpg

In order that's a T-65 X-Wing, K-Wing, YT-1300, Ghost, GR75, and CR-90.

:( I don't see the picture

This is why external hosting is important. I also can't see it. Edited by Wilhelm Screamer

I guess he wasn't there for the whole A-Wing scale debacle :P

why all the whining over its size?

its BEAUTIFUL!!

It's a gameplay issue, one thankfully mitigated by its unique flight stand being at a height where even a Large ship on two pegs won't collide, but man...

It is... factually... twice as big as its base in all directions. It's straddling the line between Huge and Large, and was probably only Large because they NEEDED it in their 'main' game rather than in Epic, a format they're not supporting competitively so it gets little attention from the fanatic players.

It annoys me from a design standpoint. In the actual game, the BASE is the only important part of the miniature; realistically we could be playing this with cardboard squares the same size as the bases, labeled appropriately. A ship that exceeds the size of their base unfairly extends the gameplay area of that model and requires the removal of the miniature to make it playable (Which kinda kills the whole POINT of the beautiful minis!)

Therefore, the minis should be sized to fit on the bases to keep the gameplay aspect intact while leaving the minis untouched. Scale isn't as important as appearance; we know what a Falcon looks like because of its circle shape, not because it's exactly 12.87cm long to be a perfect 1/270 scale.

We're not model-makers, we're game-players. Otherwise the Tantive would be over 50cm long (instead of a svelte 32cm).

But... that ship has sailed, and the chance to rate gameplay over minis long gone.

You should try the Star Trek version of the game... apparantly they are completely on-board with your view on the matter... ships are completely out of scale to eachother and simply there to vaguely represent the ship.

You should try the Star Trek version of the game... apparantly they are completely on-board with your view on the matter... ships are completely out of scale to eachother and simply there to vaguely represent the ship.

The Tinyprise is the perfect example.  They scale isn't even scaled or a sliding scale.  That ship, the Enterprise, is far smaller than even ships that are suppose to be smaller than it.

Ironically though I first got into X-Wing for the pre-painted and highly detailed miniatures.  I looked at the tinyprise a the bridge being mounted sideways on the Klingon Crusier and decided right then and there.  Nope, not interested.  Then after the special prizes, pay to play, Borg imbalance, etc...  I'm glad I never made the jump.

[Edited for brevity]

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

Here's a shot I took when I got mine, to give you an idea of the various scales.

20160311_150038.jpg

In order that's a T-65 X-Wing, K-Wing, YT-1300, Ghost, GR75, and CR-90.

Are those cubicles in the background? Is this your OFFICE??

I'm jealous.