Sign in to follow this  
Hastatior

Anyone else dissappointed?

If Screed is in this game why not Thrawn? 

Because Screed was part of Droids cartoon, and that is more canon than most parts of the Extended Universe at this time.

Actually, those cartoons like the rest of the EU novels were thrown out all at once. You'll remember that the canon reset only kept the Clone Wars and the movies. The rest, Rebels, new Marvel comics, new novels, has been added on since that time.

Now I suspect, if MSW is right like they usually are, that Thrawn will be back in the canon soon so maybe they are waiting for that to happen to unveil the new version of the character. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Speaking as a fan of the old EU, who was glad to see Droids, the Vong, and other such bad ideas go, I'm hopeful they at least save or reimagine some of the better parts of those old stories, just like they brought the Interdictor back in the new novels and Rebels and just like they adopted a significant portion of the old Star Wars atlas into the Ep 7 visual guide.

Well, the rumour is that Thrawn will be Midway through Rebels Season 3, and they're just about ready to Wrap up Season 2 at the end of the month...

I didn't go through the entire thread, so my apologies if someone else said this.

Would I like more? Of course, I'm a giant Star Wars nerd and FFG fanboy. Am I disappointed? No. If we don't get a liberty or interdictor or something similar in wave 4, then the disappointment may start to settle in. If people here play X-Wing, remember the doom and gloom that surrounded wave 5 being only 2 ships? Between the two variants of every ship (5 for rebels and 4 for imperials), upgrades, 8 different squadrons per faction (and unique variations of the squadrons), you can play a completely different list every week until this wave comes out, add the flotillas to the mix, and play entirely different lists every week until another wave comes out and STILL not play every combination.

Let's look at what we are actually getting in the wave. Granted, wave 5 for X-Wing gave us very impressive ships in that game, and considering scale, this wave is less impressive. However, we have a completely new type of ship, bringing a completely new kind of upgrade (which actually provides the PERFECT upgrade slot for gravity well projectors, btw), and something absolutely incredible:

A ship activation for the price of a squadron. I know that if I had access to an upgrade that let me delay an activation I would take it in a heartbeat. In this game, activations are king, and to get support functions on top of it? Amazing.

Edited by FatherTurin

I am going to answer the question honestly.  I woke up this morning and as usual fired up the tablet and spent 10 minutes drinking a cup of tea and surfing the internet before getting ready for work.  One of my go to websites is FFG to check on any news.  I'm in Hong Kong so any news from the previous day would have happened over night given USA time zone.  I saw the small ships, realised that was the entirety of it and felt a pang of disappointment.  I then got on with the rest of my day since real life seems to take precedence over nerd raging out over plastic toy space ships.

Later in the day i had a chance to look at the flotillas in greater detail and I think it is a fairly cool and, done well, innovative addition to the game.  I certainly didn't see it coming.  Yes, I am still a little disappointed but that is tempered with genuine enthusiasm for the potential of flotilla's to add yet another dimension to what is a truly wonderful game that has given me many hours of enjoyment.    

My initial reaction, when I digested the fact that these two flotillas comprise the whole of the wave was, meh! It's more of a ripple isn't it? Calling it a wave is hyperbole ;)

Further digestion of the news, and I'm disappointed it's taking so long to reach us, but I am excited by how it'll change the game - so conflicted I guess ;) This release feels more like a filler or bonus pack to me, not an entir wave, so I'm hoping, like every one else, that this isn't IT!

I've given it some more thought and I think I pinned down my sense of dissapointment.

Its not the quality of the content, its a combination of the TIME TAKEN between Wave In Hand to Wave In Hand and the quantity of content. It says to me that FFG did not devote resources to Armada. Plain and simple.

I can say pretty definitively from the way the release was worded and displayed on the site that it follows the convention for the announcement of the entire wave, not "here is the first part" or a teaser. This is the entire wave. And by the time it hits stores it will have been almost a year since the last wave hit stores.

If you look at the "upcoming" tab in the website you will see these marked as "in development". WTF were they doing with all the time in between? Ignoring Armada. Sure, they probably have good reason, they only have so many designers and they have been pooping out content like crazy for all their other properties.

You can be complacent all you like but I think the signs are all there that FFG de-emphasised Armada for this cycle in a deliberate and planned way, and THAT is what dissapoints me.

Now, if you recall FFG did say they were working on "wave 3 and wave 4" my suspicion is that wave 4 will come close on the heels of Wave 3, wave 3 is them basically throwing us a bone while they work on other stuff and then get back to Armada. This is totally their perogative and a purely business decision, I did notice that in the stream where they announced wave 3, 2 things struck me like a hammer:

1. The lack of enthusiasm from the FFG guy when he announced it "Yeah we have this other game, Armada, it's new about 2 years old, here's wave 3, lets move on" (paraphrase)

2. The lack of  interest from the store owners. They didn't ask a single question in the open question period about wave 3. This, to me, is telling as to why FFG might have defocused on Armada for now.

I think from a business perspective, FFG wants Armada to grow and maybe felt the cost of entry and to get competitive (which they say time and again is the cornerstone of their model, even in that stream) is too high. They want to give people time to save up and catch up. In the meantime, they put their limited resources elsewhere. As someone who probably has a little too much expendable income and can devote a good portion of it to Armada I can UNDERSTAND the reasoning but I don't LIKE it. I'm disappointed I have to wait a long time for very little prack.

I think from a business perspective, FFG wants Armada to grow and maybe felt the cost of entry and to get competitive (which they say time and again is the cornerstone of their model, even in that stream) is too high. They want to give people time to save up and catch up. In the meantime, they put their limited resources elsewhere. As someone who probably has a little too much expendable income and can devote a good portion of it to Armada I can UNDERSTAND the reasoning but I don't LIKE it.

Honestly the cost of entry to Imperial Assault is bigger then Armada and I don't think it sells as well.

For IA, to play at this year's Regional you have to spend at least $200, and that doesn't include any expansions you want for your list. Because now you must have the Core, Twin Shadows and Return to Hoth, because you need tiles from all 3 boxes. To play at Armada's regional you could get away with a core and a few expansions. So no, the entry cost of Armada isn't that big.

It may be that they only have a few model makers who can make ships and those have to split their time between X-Wing and Armada. But what's most likely is that the two missing catalog numbers are ships they had in the works and couldn't get LFL to sign off on yet. That means they may show up yet as part of wave 3 or may not.

But the thing is, FFG can't just make whatever ship they want, even standard ships like the ISD's or CR-90's have to be approved by LFL before they can make them. So the lack of stuff for Wave 3 may be completely out of FFG's hands.

I've given it some more thought and I think I pinned down my sense of dissapointment.

Its not the quality of the content, its a combination of the TIME TAKEN between Wave In Hand to Wave In Hand and the quantity of content. It says to me that FFG did not devote resources to Armada. Plain and simple.

I can say pretty definitively from the way the release was worded and displayed on the site that it follows the convention for the announcement of the entire wave, not "here is the first part" or a teaser. This is the entire wave. And by the time it hits stores it will have been almost a year since the last wave hit stores.

If you look at the "upcoming" tab in the website you will see these marked as "in development". WTF were they doing with all the time in between? Ignoring Armada. Sure, they probably have good reason, they only have so many designers and they have been pooping out content like crazy for all their other properties.

You can be complacent all you like but I think the signs are all there that FFG de-emphasised Armada for this cycle in a deliberate and planned way, and THAT is what dissapoints me.

Now, if you recall FFG did say they were working on "wave 3 and wave 4" my suspicion is that wave 4 will come close on the heels of Wave 3, wave 3 is them basically throwing us a bone while they work on other stuff and then get back to Armada. This is totally their perogative and a purely business decision, I did notice that in the stream where they announced wave 3, 2 things struck me like a hammer:

1. The lack of enthusiasm from the FFG guy when he announced it "Yeah we have this other game, Armada, it's new about 2 years old, here's wave 3, lets move on" (paraphrase)

2. The lack of  interest from the store owners. They didn't ask a single question in the open question period about wave 3. This, to me, is telling as to why FFG might have defocused on Armada for now.

I think from a business perspective, FFG wants Armada to grow and maybe felt the cost of entry and to get competitive (which they say time and again is the cornerstone of their model, even in that stream) is too high. They want to give people time to save up and catch up. In the meantime, they put their limited resources elsewhere. As someone who probably has a little too much expendable income and can devote a good portion of it to Armada I can UNDERSTAND the reasoning but I don't LIKE it. I'm disappointed I have to wait a long time for very little prack.

Thank you for your calm, considered opinion.  I truly appreciate it and understand it.

I do think my biggest disappointment with the "Wave" is the time aspect.  I also hope Wave 4 comes soon after.

As to the resources...I have no idea.  I haven't the foggiest idea what it takes to make a game of this caliber.  It is well balanced in my opinion and I can't say whether or not they are "simmering" it instead of going full boil.  I still think it would be crazy for them to tank Armada with the amount of sales and interest it seems to get.  But again I have no idea about this.

I do have a selfish opinion though...please keep producing for it...I'm addicted...

Thank you for your well thought-out post. For those of us that feel disappointed, you've summed up and concisely stated what we've been feeling and why.

To expand on what you've said, let's look at some dates and facts:

Core Set - Announced August 8, 2014, released March 27, 2015, ~8 months from announcement to release, three ships, ten squadrons, tokens, dice, templates, rules, etc.

Wave I - Announced November 10, 2014, released May 15, 2015, 6 months from announcement to release, ~2 months after previous release, five ships and two fighter packs
Wave II - Announced April 6, 2015, released November 26, 2015, 7 months from announcement to release, ~6 months after previous release, four ships and one fighter pack
Wave III - Announced March 16, 2016, scheduled for Q3 2016, between 4-7 months from announcement to release, between 8-10 months after previous release, two flotillas (so far)
(and somewhere in there the dice and Maneuver Tool)

If Wave III takes the average 7 months to release (so around October), it's likely we won't see wave IV until at least Q2 2017. So, in all of 2016 we are only getting a single wave that so far is the smallest release yet, even if there are still two product numbers (SWM16 and SWM17) missing. Someone mentioned that this happened in X-Wing and those holes were never filled but I don't follow X-Wing so I can't say if that's true.

For the people overtly joyful that others are complaining and threatening to leave this game over their disappointment of the obvious lack of product planned for this year, please curb your enthusiasm. We should all want more players involved in this game, not less. The point you're completely missing is that these players do want to give Fantasy Flight Games more of their hard-earned money on a game they've thoroughly enjoyed from a company they've supported. While I like the Flotillas and will probably be purchasing at least two of each, I'm disappointed that there's not more especially when there's still so very much to pull from in canon. And now with Episode VII out we've gotten even more (if it made it into X-Wing, it can come to Armada). I don't know if there's another two items yet to be revealed for this wave, or if FFG is waiting for the release of Rogue One, or whatever rumor people are using to excuse the lack of product, but to not help further support a game with more options than two flotillas over the course of an entire year just seems like the incorrect decision. I've been using Wave II for five months now, and in 4-7 months we'll be adding two flotillas, then waiting a further 6-10 months for Wave IV. That's just an unnecessarily long time.
Edited by dbgoldberg323

I would expect them to be in the 25-30 point range, but really I don't see anything but extreme fringe builds that use more than a couple of these.

Remember we haven't seen the movement chart for these, they could be speed 2 movement pigs..

The point being that people are claiming these ships will reduce the barrier of entry, as if getting a 20-point ship for cheap will allow them to play the game (ignoring the price of the starter set). It will in fact be more expensive for new players to field these, since you are only getting 20 points worth of ship for $20, instead of 110 points worth of ship for $50. Edited by Knightcrawler

I am going to answer the question honestly.  I woke up this morning and as usual fired up the tablet and spent 10 minutes drinking a cup of tea and surfing the internet before getting ready for work.  One of my go to websites is FFG to check on any news.  I'm in Hong Kong so any news from the previous day would have happened over night given USA time zone.  I saw the small ships, realised that was the entirety of it and felt a pang of disappointment.  I then got on with the rest of my day since real life seems to take precedence over nerd raging out over plastic toy space ships.

Later in the day i had a chance to look at the flotillas in greater detail and I think it is a fairly cool and, done well, innovative addition to the game.  I certainly didn't see it coming.  Yes, I am still a little disappointed but that is tempered with genuine enthusiasm for the potential of flotilla's to add yet another dimension to what is a truly wonderful game that has given me many hours of enjoyment.    

I truly second that! (apart from being in Hong Kong ;) )

Edited by Darth Veggie

The best part of this wave is I can shout "The first transport is away!"

Other than that, I can see Gonzati waves with Firespray support. Swarm time!

And, well, this fills out the fleet for role players.

Hopefully thy are planning more smaller waves (2 ships every 4 months, as opposed to 4 ships every 8 months). Helps keep things moving.

I had assumed that this was just the tip of the iceberg for the Wave III release.  That is to say that they have more ships planned with the release but they are going to drag it out in drips and drabs to keep us all interested.

I've said it elsewhere.  I can be patient.  I am relearning this game.  I played my first game in 8 months about a week ago.  I don't need a ton of new stuff already.

And that's fine, but there are those of us that have been playing it steadily for those 8 months (and longer, since release in fact) who were looking forward to more than one small release in a single year.

On 3/16/2016 at 5:25 PM, GilmoreDK said:

I would say that i expected much more.. Hammerheads? That carrier from rebels (Quasar?)   Interdictor? Braha`Tok Gunship flotilla ? Pelta Class Corvette?  Arquitens Light Cruiser? 

Well, since the thread is already necro'd, I just want to give a congratulatory shout out to GilmoreDK who pretty much nailed the next 2 waves a year and a half in advance. Just missed the liberty and added that Klingon one.