Sign in to follow this  
Hastatior

Anyone else dissappointed?

Yes. At first.

But if you think about it FFG is being really smart. Instead of getting ahead of themselves there taking the time to do Armada right, at a more sustainable pace. Compared to how x wing does their releases, smaller waves would be much better. That way we get new additions in small doses, and hopefully closer to their original projected release date. Plus all of our wallets can survive.

I'm sure they will release more for wave 8, but I like the new structure idea.

I agree allows smaller barrier to entry.  For instance, if you are new at Netrunner would you dare try to play competitively?  

I'm reserving judgement for the moment. On their own, and for their own merits, I think flotillas make sense, add a new dynamic, and, if the right upgrades are included, could give some useful and interesting options. I'd also not be surprised to see some kind of objectives designed around them.

If this is the entire wave, then yes, it's a little underwhelming. Even the most tactical of us love to see a big gun pulled out, and drool at the thought of an Interdictor or Liberty-Class. But I'd be surprised if this were all there is, and I think that FoaS has made the excellent observation that there are currently two product numbers missing from the FFG line-up (SWM16 & SWM17). Bearing in mind that, I think it's worth keeping calm for the moment.

And this it is all there is, then my wallet will be grateful, even if my heart isn't. These will still be useful additions to any fleet, particularly at low point cost, and let me invest in the ships already out.

*SNORE!*

Of course I am disappointed. The Gozanti was a boring ship when it was revealed in Episode I as a civilian ship. If it was an interesting design, people (someone, anyone) would have latched on back then. I have some Star Wars TCG/CCG cards from back in the day, and one features a Gozanti Cruiser; I love looking at new ships, but that one put me right to sleep. I don't really know why LucasFilm decided to use that thing as the big bad ship in Star Wars: Rebels. As for the GR-75, it's boring, but at least it was a creative design back in the day. It's just a shell that carries a bunch of boxes. It can't even really perform boarding actions. The idea that you can perform ship-to-ship repairs in the middle of a hot fleet engagement is silly. Personally, I imagine each turn in Armada as taking a few minutes, not hours. I know the game already features space stations to repair at, but why make things worse? I might be okay with these ships if they seemed like they offered interesting new gameplay ideas, but they really don't. :-/ As it stands, they're just platforms for upgrade cards. This is just a way for them to recycle art. And I understand that they make a lot of art every year, but looking at this expansion, you would never know it.

And how do these lower the barrier for entry? They're cheap, but you'd have to buy a half dozen of them to even fill up 100 of the 400 points.

Edited by Knightcrawler

Half a dozen? 1/4 fleet flotilla? Right now based on very little info I see x2, to replace the one Raider I run for an activation, as the number I would consider. Extra activation for the same cost and fleet wide upgrades? Yes please. It's a better Cr90 B if you just want the activations/buffs.

*SNORE!*

Of course I am disappointed. The Gozanti was a boring ship when it was revealed in Episode I as a civilian ship. If it was an interesting design, people (someone, anyone) would have latched on back then. I have some Star Wars TCG/CCG cards from back in the day, and one features a Gozanti Cruiser; I love looking at new ships, but that one put me right to sleep. I don't really know why LucasFilm decided to use that thing as the big bad ship in Star Wars: Rebels. As for the GR-75, it's boring, but at least it was a creative design back in the day. It's just a shell that carries a bunch of boxes. It can't even really perform boarding actions. The idea that you can perform ship-to-ship repairs in the middle of a hot fleet engagement is silly. Personally, I imagine each turn in Armada as taking a few minutes, not hours. I know the game already features space stations to repair at, but why make things worse? I might be okay with these ships if they seemed like they offered interesting new gameplay ideas, but they really don't. :-/ As it stands, they're just platforms for upgrade cards. This is just a way for them to recycle art. And I understand that they make a lot of art every year, but looking at this expansion, you would never know it.

And how do these lower the barrier for entry? They're cheap, but you'd have to buy a half dozen of them to even fill up 100 of the 400 points.

I would expect them to be in the 25-30 point range, but really I don't see anything but extreme fringe builds that use more than a couple of these.

Remember we haven't seen the movement chart for these, they could be speed 2 movement pigs..

*SNORE!*

I would expect them to be in the 25-30 point range, but really I don't see anything but extreme fringe builds that use more than a couple of these.

Remember we haven't seen the movement chart for these, they could be speed 2 movement pigs..

We haven't seen the speed, but the speed dials are set to 3 in the pictures. So while certainly anything but definitive, I'd say that's their speed.

I'm willing to bet that as they have Scatter, they are Speed 4 and with 2 yaws on each speed band.

I hope not for the sake of balance. I mean, sure they might want to make them fast enough to keep up with squads but the more conventionally viable you make them the more danger lists will start with the spam. I mean, assuming you can bring  6 gozanti bases to push a full point rhymerball of Tie Bombers (with re-rolls and god knows what else) and still have room for a demolisher (that might also be shedding damage cards as 2 speed 3 gozantis trail right behind it with the repair upgrade)

I guess its all about how much they end up costing in points, too cheap and they might have the best PPH in the game and force you to bring a few or risk being out-activated constantly. Too expensive and they become a liability from their low firepower and fragility.

I mean, if one of these ends up in a demolisher double arc, Ackbar red dice spam or ISD II front arc or focused by a few bombers they will disintigrate.

*SNORE!*

We haven't seen the speed, but the speed dials are set to 3 in the pictures. So while certainly anything but definitive, I'd say that's their speed.

Sounds right to me, and in keeping with past practices.

Pretty underwhelmed by this I must say. My first reaction was Disney must not be letting them use anymore Legends material as these are just about all that's left of canon ships. Note one of the cards is Agent Kallus, a Rebels character. If Screed is in this game why not Thrawn? Oh well. Glad that some are still happy though.

Not disappointed one bit. The announcement is proof that FFG still cares and wants to expand Armada (which I never doubted, but boy did I see too many topics about that), and I firmly believe the Flotilla ships aren't the only ships we're getting in this wave.

Wave 1 had five ships released plus two fighter packs, while Wave 2 had four new ships and one fighter pack. Combine the last two wave releases plus the amount of ships Fantasy Flight likes to put in their X-Wing wave releases leads me to believe that there will definitely be at least one more ship for both sides, as well as a new fighter pack or two in Wave 3.

I think this announcement is just a teaser announcement for Wave 3, and to show off the new class of ship.

Yes. At first.

But if you think about it FFG is being really smart. Instead of getting ahead of themselves there taking the time to do Armada right, at a more sustainable pace. Compared to how x wing does their releases, smaller waves would be much better. That way we get new additions in small doses, and hopefully closer to their original projected release date. Plus all of our wallets can survive.

I'm sure they will release more for wave 8, but I like the new structure idea.

This×1000

Love it. Breaks Tarkin open, Ywings/generic bombers much improved, rebel hero bombers go nuts, Luke/Keyan, repair/tanking fleets, better activations. If what is revealed is it I'm very happy.

Pretty much my thoughts!

I am not disappointed.  Whenever something like this comes out that completely screws with the way the game works, I would imagine the amount of playtesting and tweaking they would have to do in order to not break the game is huge. Figuring out what upgrades a ship should have, what the upgrades could be, how to price it, etc.  I appreciate slower waves so long as it means the game stays balanced.  

It might be worth it to actually break down the press article itself to get a good grip on what exactly is being said. I have a feeling certain parties, here and ranting abroad, might be hearing what they want to hear/don't want to hear and partially ignoring or glossing over the rest. Mind you, this isn't definite and my track record for guesses is preeetty horrendous.

Wave III introduces yet another dimension to your battles. Its two expansions, the Imperial Assault Carriers Expansion Pack and the Rebel Transports Expansion Pack, introduce the "flotilla" to Armada (emphasis mine). Treated like standard ships—with a couple of notable exceptions—flotillas come with a host of inexpensive, highly tactical abilities that allow you to coordinate your fleet more closely than ever! ~Bigger Battles, Better Tactics.

From how I understand this, it is possible that Wave III is comprised of just the pair of flotillas.

But the way in which the article is written does not say that Wave III solely consists of two flotilla vessels. What it says is: Wave III will introduce new elements to the game. Stop. Two expansions in the wave (consisting of the Gozanti and G-75, the 'its' is possessive and denotes 'ownership' of the two successive component elements.) introduce the concept of the flotilla. Stop. These expansion packs have a lot of utility dealies.  Stop.

Flotillas, however, do more than merely introduce a new type of ship; they also introduce a new fleet support role that you can incorporate into your fleet and games. Both of the flotillas in Wave III feature the Fleet Support upgrade icon

The flotillas include more than just the different ship type as they are meant to act as a fleet support. Stop. Wave III only has 2 flotillas, and both include the new Fleet Support upgrade (but it does not also mean that they are the only ships in the perspective wave that include such an upgrade icon).

I would be surprised if this is all we got for the wave, but I'm totally fine if it pans out that way. From a linguistic point of view, FFG appears to have left themselves ample room to add more to the Wave. Introducing these first is just a nice convenient way of introducing the two new 'big concepts' at once and saving more mono-conceptual material for later.

Edited by Vykes

This game is already fantastic. Sure, it would be nice to have more plastic pressed in different molds with cards of the same shape but with some other numbers and texts on them, but that is not the important thing for me. This game is about using what we have to do the best we can. This is not X-Wing that seems to need MOAR shipz to keep up the interest of the players. This far into the game, I can still find new builds to try and definitely new strategies and maneuvers to employ on the battlefield. Do I need more ships in the mix? Naah, not really. If I get something small, I will be happy. Every little thing added to this game will have a large impact.

Chess has 64 spaces and 32 pieces. Imagine if you added just one more piece - would that make a difference? Same with Armada.

It might be worth it to actually break down the press article ...

I said a similar thing elsewhere, 100% on target there.

The tragedy is this has become a rather poor bit of communication and the people that could correct the miscommunication are at GAMA or elsewhere.

My main disappointment is the release date of Q3. I was hoping that FFG would be reducing their announcement-to-release gap to a single quarter, but it's just as long as ever. Gotta assume the 1 quarter slip (as every FFG release has slipped recently) which means a year between releases. Which is just too long and is a detriment to maintaining a healthy player base IMO.

I fully expect a further couple of releases to be added to Wave 3 mind, i don't think it'll just be these 2 expansions.

Edited by MaxTeranous

If Screed is in this game why not Thrawn? 

Because Screed was part of Droids cartoon, and that is more canon than most parts of the Extended Universe at this time.

Actually, those cartoons like the rest of the EU novels were thrown out all at once. You'll remember that the canon reset only kept the Clone Wars and the movies. The rest, Rebels, new Marvel comics, new novels, has been added on since that time.

Now I suspect, if MSW is right like they usually are, that Thrawn will be back in the canon soon so maybe they are waiting for that to happen to unveil the new version of the character. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Speaking as a fan of the old EU, who was glad to see Droids, the Vong, and other such bad ideas go, I'm hopeful they at least save or reimagine some of the better parts of those old stories, just like they brought the Interdictor back in the new novels and Rebels and just like they adopted a significant portion of the old Star Wars atlas into the Ep 7 visual guide.