Sign in to follow this  
WWPDSteven

WAVE III ANNOUNCEMENT

completely agree with the fleet feel. People are worried though that if FFG spent the last year only coming up with this for armada then there may be cause to worry. With the thought that the amount of resources put into these two expansions comparatively isn't much

I totally agree. I love the idea of being able to run heaps of GR75s outfitted as support ships, just like we saw at Endor. And use them for special missions like the obvious convoy attacks and blockade runs.

And frankly. what canon stuff is there left to release?

The winged MC80, the Interdictor and Arquitens... Maybe the Finalizer? Maybe? I personally have no desire to see K wings and TIE Phantoms and other EU ships in the squadron stuff, but I guess they could release those too.

Personally, I think FFG are being smart about this.

The game is a good game with good balance, both within and across factions. The Demolisher is the one thing that seems to be a stand-out must-take option, but there are only a small handful of not-so-good options and none of them are complete garbage. Pretty much every ship that's been released has a niche and see's plenty of use.

FFG don't need to add to this. They don't need to constantly spam new units into the game. The game works, and already has all (or most, anyway) of the iconic Star Wars ships in it.

But the fans always want new stuff, and some of the big sooks will spit their dummies if they don't get new toys. Like somehow the game becomes less fun if there's no new toys. So FFG is staggering their releases: Flotillas now, the winged MC80, Interdictor and Arquitens to come, and then hopefully a couple of new and different ships in Rogue One and the Han Solo anthology, and some new stuff in Episode VIII. Hopefully a couple of capital ships for each side so we can get a proper 'new' Star Wars wave with ships for each side.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm happy with the game at the moment. If they announced tomorrow that they were ceasing all Armada support and not releasing any more ships, then apart from some panic buying on the book depository to fill any future needs I might have, I'd be totally happy. The game has almost all the OT ships, has a couple of neat EU ships and doesn't NEED any more releases.

The Demolisher is the one thing that seems to be a stand-out must-take option, but there are only a small handful of not-so-good options and none of them are complete garbage.

Oddly I think that Flotillas go some ways towards Demolisher stand out less, as do some of the cards that work quite well with Bombers and Squadrons in general.

I really loved The Force Awakens, but I would rather they hadn't added the TFA stuff to X-Wing, and I hope they don't add the Finalizer to Armada.

I want to play in the OT era, which (IMO) could easily accommodate some old junkers from the Clone War era, but I don't like things going backwards in time. That's just too Trek for me.

Anyway, I'm excited about the new wave, even if it's just the flotillas.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

[...]

FFG don't need to add to this. They don't need to constantly spam new units into the game. The game works, and already has all (or most, anyway) of the iconic Star Wars ships in it.

FFG is a company that sells miniatures for living. Most of the people I play with have already bought their share of wave I+II stuff, and only a few are that heavy into armada to buy some additional duplicates of anything to create one or more of the specialized fleets - corvette swarms, clonisher and such. With 400 points games and four to five individual capital ships per faction even people that play and buy both factions have by now easily reached that point at which it gets more and more difficult to justify any further purchases. It makes you wonder how much revenue FFG is expecting from SWA the next months, with only one "flotilla" per side that is probably costed within the 20-30 bugs range. 

Leaves some options from my point of view:

a) The revenue has been exceptionally good, FFG is releasing a small wave III as an in-between and planning ahead for further waves.

b) Revenue has been good, but just adding a ton of capital ships alone would not help to keep it up. FFG is releasing a small wave III to "buy time" while considering the further development of the game and game size.

c) Revenue has been average or less, and the small wave III is used as an "extender" for the game as it is, to see how sales develop in the long run. 

TL:DR /the lack of news has caused a severe decrease in my local community that killed my local armada group, it is in fact a problem.

This is a quote from one of the better known players of this game. Yet has stated plays most games online because of a lack of following in his area with the nearest reliable LGS 1.5 hours away. People have even said that this is his own fault for not creating a better community.

that's why YOU need to make sure people keep playing. Don't rely on the game company to keep people interested.

No, it is NOT the responsibility of individuals and condumers to maintain interest on behalf of a company. That is the job of the company's marketing department, highly paid people that apparently dont know their jobs to well! I'd say they've failed quite miserably if this loss of community is widespread. It's happened in my own, in Clontroper5 and from what I've read a number of others from the forums as well. Remember, not everyone who plays/played this game is on the forums. So you should expect this is happening often enough in enough communities that FFG should take notice of the problem.

This wave announcement was a slap in the collective face of everyone whether you think it was or not, with all the previous issues this game has encountered they needed gold here. They got ****.

Before people pounce on the missing SKU numbers, yes, I expect this wave to increase in size and become larger. Personally, I think it will be larger than 4 releases (and those who applaud the small release are lying to themselves and others, brings depth to the game? busy exploring previous waves tactics to be concerned with new ones? This ain't chess, quit kidding yourself, and none of us are Admirals... Unless you are a real Admiral, then ignore that.) That said, they needed to include in this teaser either more info, such as a hint that a bigger reveal is around the corner, but we'll have to wait for :enter reasoning here:, or just the whole release at once. If it is potentially spoiler images then they needed to include more non spoiler models in the release. Perhaps even SAY something to that effect! Everyone KNOWS new movies are inbound, it's not harmful to say that this is the case.

As for the argument that it's the #3 miniatures game on the market. Armada is also the only reliable way to get model ships for kids (and adults such as myself... and don't lie to yourselves, we ALL make ship noises while running around blowing up rebel scum or imperial fascists) to play with unrelated to the game. This is a big boost to sales. Not to mention the free consumer base that is the X-Wing miniatures crowd and Star Wars nerds all over. It's sales are not limited to miniatures gaming, so it would be in FFGs best interest to release further waves at regular intervals to keep constant revenue.

Lastly, people need to lay off those who are disappointed and negative (even a certain one who may have gone off a deep end here...) They have every right to be, and saying "I'll take your models then!" is just acting like a **** and intentionally antagonizing.

Edited by Gadgetron

No, it is NOT the responsibility of individuals and condumers to maintain interest on behalf of a company. 

But it IS our responsibility to build our own gaming groups. Not to get more customers for FFG, but to get more people to game with! It has always been thus, with every game. If we don't work to build our local groups, we won't have anyone to play with no matter HOW well the game is marketed or how good it is.

No, it is NOT the responsibility of individuals and condumers to maintain interest on behalf of a company. 

But it IS our responsibility to build our own gaming groups. Not to get more customers for FFG, but to get more people to game with! It has always been thus, with every game. If we don't work to build our local groups, we won't have anyone to play with no matter HOW well the game is marketed or how good it is.

Looks a bit like the Hen/Egg question to me, so what antecedes what? 

Anyway, I am more on Gadgetrons side with this topic. Sure the individual player has a part in growing a healthy community, but this is a game with a fairly high buy-in for new players and nothing you grab on the get-go because some random guy at the LGS suggested it to you. It definitely needs some healthy marketing to attract new players, even more so as a single player might not be willing to buy in on both factions to provide materials for other guys who might want to give it a try. 

TL:DR /the lack of news has caused a severe decrease in my local community that killed my local armada group, it is in fact a problem.

This is a quote from one of the better known players of this game. Yet has stated plays most games online because of a lack of following in his area with the nearest reliable LGS 1.5 hours away. People have even said that this is his own fault for not creating a better community.

that's why YOU need to make sure people keep playing. Don't rely on the game company to keep people interested.

No, it is NOT the responsibility of individuals and condumers to maintain interest on behalf of a company. That is the job of the company's marketing department, highly paid people that apparently dont know their jobs to well! I'd say they've failed quite miserably if this loss of community is widespread. It's happened in my own, in Clontroper5 and from what I've read a number of others from the forums as well. Remember, not everyone who plays/played this game is on the forums. So you should expect this is happening often enough in enough communities that FFG should take notice of the problem.

This wave announcement was a slap in the collective face of everyone whether you think it was or not, with all the previous issues this game has encountered they needed gold here. They got ****.

Before people pounce on the missing SKU numbers, yes, I expect this wave to increase in size and become larger. Personally, I think it will be larger than 4 releases (and those who applaud the small release are lying to themselves and others, brings depth to the game? busy exploring previous waves tactics to be concerned with new ones? This ain't chess, quit kidding yourself, and none of us are Admirals... Unless you are a real Admiral, then ignore that.) That said, they needed to include in this teaser either more info, such as a hint that a bigger reveal is around the corner, but we'll have to wait for :enter reasoning here:, or just the whole release at once. If it is potentially spoiler images then they needed to include more non spoiler models in the release. Perhaps even SAY something to that effect! Everyone KNOWS new movies are inbound, it's not harmful to say that this is the case.

As for the argument that it's the #3 miniatures game on the market. Armada is also the only reliable way to get model ships for kids (and adults such as myself... and don't lie to yourselves, we ALL make ship noises while running around blowing up rebel scum or imperial fascists) to play with unrelated to the game. This is a big boost to sales. Not to mention the free consumer base that is the X-Wing miniatures crowd and Star Wars nerds all over. It's sales are not limited to miniatures gaming, so it would be in FFGs best interest to release further waves at regular intervals to keep constant revenue.

Lastly, people need to lay off those who are disappointed and negative (even a certain one who may have gone off a deep end here...) They have every right to be, and saying "I'll take your models then!" is just acting like a **** and intentionally antagonizing.

except that just simply isn't true in regards to clones area. He never advertised on fb or anything that he was playing those days at those stores. There are venues much closer than 1.5 hours. We are talking 20 minutes. You can't just show up somewhere and not tell anyone you are going and then be sad when there is no one else there to play. it may not be clones responsibility to grow his community but if you don't make good attempts and network you can't complain that nothing is going on. Especially when in fact there is

And I just don't get it.

I am super excited for this wave. Even if the 2 flotillas are the only thing in it they look like they will add so much depth to the game and be hugely fun. Not to mention really providing a "fleet" feel to your forces.

I fall under this category.

There are a lot of tactical and strategic options even with just 2 ships.

I know for me I'm more disappointed only because it's just 2 flotillas and they're not being released till Q3 which is kind of slacking on FFG's end. Almost a whole year (since wave II release) and thats it. I do think it will be awesome to have these little guys, but there definitely should be more for after a full year of R&D. Even if squadrons were announced also that would make me and my group much more happier than if it was just the flotillas. 

This does explain though the remarks at worlds last year that they were 'already working on wave 4'. 

I'm expecting a quicker turnaround between waves now. They probably intentionally put the brakes on things to iron out kinks in the production/distribution process. I'm sure Wave 2 was a difficult experience for them.

I totally agree. I love the idea of being able to run heaps of GR75s outfitted as support ships, just like we saw at Endor. And use them for special missions like the obvious convoy attacks and blockade runs.

And frankly. what canon stuff is there left to release?

The winged MC80, the Interdictor and Arquitens... Maybe the Finalizer? Maybe? I personally have no desire to see K wings and TIE Phantoms and other EU ships in the squadron stuff, but I guess they could release those too.

Personally, I think FFG are being smart about this.

The game is a good game with good balance, both within and across factions. The Demolisher is the one thing that seems to be a stand-out must-take option, but there are only a small handful of not-so-good options and none of them are complete garbage. Pretty much every ship that's been released has a niche and see's plenty of use.

But the fans always want new stuff, and some of the big sooks will spit their dummies if they don't get new toys. Like somehow the game becomes less fun if there's no new toys. So FFG is staggering their releases: Flotillas now, the winged MC80, Interdictor and Arquitens to come, and then hopefully a couple of new and different ships in Rogue One and the Han Solo anthology, and some new stuff in Episode VIII. Hopefully a couple of capital ships for each side so we can get a proper 'new' Star Wars wave with ships for each side.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm happy with the game at the moment. If they announced tomorrow that they were ceasing all Armada support and not releasing any more ships, then apart from some panic buying on the book depository to fill any future needs I might have, I'd be totally happy. The game has almost all the OT ships, has a couple of neat EU ships and doesn't NEED any more releases.

Well said Sir. Careful what you wish for people. Armada is at a very good stage right now and on reflection wave 3 is a smart move by FFG. Do you really want an unbalanced bloated mess? Better they take their time and do things properly.

except that just simply isn't true in regards to clones area. He never advertised on fb or anything that he was playing those days at those stores. There are venues much closer than 1.5 hours. We are talking 20 minutes. You can't just show up somewhere and not tell anyone you are going and then be sad when there is no one else there to play. it may not be clones responsibility to grow his community but if you don't make good attempts and network you can't complain that nothing is going on. Especially when in fact there is
I never advertised on a Facebook because 1, I hate Facebook and 2 ONLY come on days SCHEDULED for Armada!we have 3 store in our area thatt have a WEEKLY time set Aside to play, and that is the only time a go but no one else comes:/

And yea you CAN find That on Facebook or any of the stores online calanders

calm down in not trying to offend or upset anyone, just pointing out the reality of the situation. Sad fact but virtually no one uses the stores individual websites. Yes the local FB page did add a central calendar a few weeks ago, but sadly not enough people use it. Most everyone just communicates on the page itself. I respect your decision to not be on FB, I just find it to valuable for situations like this. Just don't judge or label the community when you are not actively a part of it, and when the greater community did not see or know about your efforts. I'm not saying that you didn't put all of that work and time in, I believe you did and am glad you did. But stating that the game is dead in your area because no one goes to play when your there and no one knew you were going is not accurate. I actually am currently aware of a league for armada being put together in the valley. Dont sulk in a corner come out and help us continue to grow! Also stores need realize that if they have a game scheduled for a specific night and no one goes. It might not be a good night for it.

I never advertised on a Facebook because 1, I hate Facebook and 2 ONLY come on days SCHEDULED for Armada!we have 3 store in our area thatt have a WEEKLY time set Aside to play, and that is the only time a go but no one else comes:/

calm down in not trying to offend or upset anyone, just pointing out the reality of the situation. Sad fact but virtually no one uses the stores individual websites. Yes the local FB page did add a central calendar a few weeks ago, but sadly not enough people use it. Most everyone just communicates on the page itself. I respect your decision to not be on FB, I just find it to valuable for situations like this. Just don't judge or label the community when you are not actively a part of it,

Well as far as I can tell unless I want to take 1.5 hour bus ride (which I don't) there is only 1 other guy that shows up to anything at my LGS and I also know about a dozen player's that know when we meet. What about the Clearly advertised STORE CHIAMPIONSHIP! only 1 other guy showed up. I think I can label the community whatever I want when I'm practically the only one to bother to show up. Also Kyle talks to people on FB all the time but none of them come in spite of commiting.

P.s. don't mean to be blunt but I'm on my phone and typing takes forever

no worries about bluntness I'm in the same boat so right back at ya with that. The issue with the store champ is there were two within a week of each other. Not everyone can dedicate 13 hours a week to armada, hence why there were low numbers at each. And take it from someone whose on FB there is no store that posts about armada all the time. In fact it's hardly at all. This is my point I fully believe the sites are willing but the community, which there is one, must grab the opportunity. You just can't go to"store" nights and expect people to show. Especially when the stores while willing aren't pushing it. And you can't just arbitrarily say 1.5 hours and not mention it's the bus. Every store is within 20-30 of each other by car. It's a great community I and others would be happy to give you a ride. I'm not trying to bicker though man. Lets work together to organize this community more. I can keep you posted about the league of you'd like

Edited by Tirion

I don't want to tell you how to do your thing, but I will suggest that you will have much more success at growing your local scene if you get on facebook. Building a community is largely about networking, but if you're deliberately not using one of the biggest and most powerful networking tools available, you're not going to get the best results you could.

Trust me, just give it a shot.

In our local area, we have two nights a week set aside for gaming at the local shop. Wednesday is for 'fantasy' and DnD and Thursday is for 40K. The delineations are fluid however, and anyone can play just about anything they want on any given night. On some nights, people don't bother to turn up. It's not uncommon to see posts saying "Anyone coming to the store tonight for a game?" and no one replies.

Some nights, there might only be one or two games going.

But despite this, the local gaming group is a strong one. If I wasn't an active part of it, including the use of facebook, if I was just casually dropping every now and then there might be no one there and it might look like there is NO local scene at all. But I know better. I know that Joel and Keith are working late on Thursdays, that Leigh is working strange shifts, that Reuben is having car trouble, that Brad has band practice, and on some nights, the stars all align and no one can make it. Despite having a dedicated games night, it really pays to make an effort to arrange a game before hand. Simply turning up with your stuff and hoping for a game is a last-ditch effort, not the first course of action to get a game.

Seriously, just give facebook a go. You don't have to get stuck in the social networking aspect of it with all the likes, and minion memes and all that other facebook bull, but I find it's an irreplaceable gaming network tool.

I agree that it's hard to organize socially without Facebook. A Facebook group was the first thing I created a few months before the game was released. We'd have been toast as a community without it.

As to the question of 'responsibility', using such a word sounds like someone is making a moral case, which is absurd. If you want people to play with, you can either hope that FFG's marketing just makes it happen (good luck with that), or you can do the work to build your community. If you want it, build it. If you're too busy, lazy, or indignant, then I hope you enjoy watching your models collect dust on the shelf.

Guys, quit it. Clon offered the stores a reliable player. The stores should be able to do the communication work to get others to work. Dont belitte what a contribution it is to turn up week in week out knowing you probably wont get a game.

Now Tirion and Clon can work together here, they both have something to offer their community. Lets just leave it there.

You can't expect your FLGS to do all the organizing for you. They have a financial incentive to get people to come in for regular Armada games but they also have a financial incentive to do myriad other things that are competing for their time as well. Armada is but one of numerous revenue streams and likely not a major one. Therefore it's incumbent upon the community members to do most of the organizing with the cooperation of the FLGS. That's how I'm doing it at my FLGS anyways and thus far we've been successful in growing the community. Facebook and Meetup and the like are absolutely invaluable resources for getting the word out and organizing events, and it's easy to make a group that links up with your FLGS's Facebook page to get your first batch of interested newbies.

there already is a local fb group. It's currently poorly utilized but its there. Also don't think anyone was belittling him. In fact he was applauded. All that was said is you need to let people know when your playing if you want opponents.