Sign in to follow this  
player4421

Will there be "Road to Legend" type app for SW:IA?

I just saw the great news today that FGG will be soon releasing an app that will play the role of the Overlord in Descent Second Edition.  This will make solo and coop play possible.

I really hope that FFG has plans to do something similar for Star Wars: Imperial Assault.

Could not agree more. I hope you are listening FFG.

One reason Imperial Assault hasn't hit the table with my group in a while, is because no one (other than me) wants to be the "Overlord"; AND I don't want to do it anymore, because Id like to play the campaign from the other side.

If an app like this was made for Imperial Assault, I would be tempted to actually buy the expansions you keep churning out. (that to this point, I have had no interest in.)

FYI, Mansions of Madness could use one of these apps too.

Edited by broknsword

I said this in the other thread but, is there a feedback form we can link here for everyone to start bugging FFG about this for IA?

I noticed a while back they stopped making the Co-Op quests for Descent and I figured they just weren't popular, but now it appears it is the opposite.  They were so popular that FFG saw a market here and decided to expand it.  I don't see any reason this wouldn't also be true for IA and hopefully they have already started development.

Most of the hard work would be done already, would just need to customize it for IA.

I noticed a while back they stopped making the Co-Op quests for Descent and I figured they just weren't popular, but now it appears it is the opposite.  They were so popular that FFG saw a market here and decided to expand it.

Or it could be that they figure this is a way to goose stagnant Descent sales. If that's the case, I'd imagine that an equivalent IA app wouldn't be coming for a while. But who knows.

Yea for IA it is different, they always have the skirmish side driving their sales as well.. so it would take a lot longer for things to go stagnant.  However, unless FFG does something about their current skirmish purchase model it might be sooner than we think :)

We already can't get PDFs of the RPG, I'd be surprised if we can get this unfortunately.

Can you source that this is the reason why there are no PDFs for the SW RPG? Like an interview with FFG or a post on the forums where they said this? I don't doubt it, but I want to be able to show people who do.

We already can't get PDFs of the RPG, I'd be surprised if we can get this unfortunately.

Can you source that this is the reason why there are no PDFs for the SW RPG? Like an interview with FFG or a post on the forums where they said this? I don't doubt it, but I want to be able to show people who do.

This is the closest to an official answer: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/86143-read-this-first-frequently-asked-questions-about-eote/ 

Given the way FFG sells their other RPG product and the amount of times it still comes up as a question it can only be a licensing thing, otherwise they are leaving money on the table for no reason.

There's a lot of discussion here about this topic here (plugs the thread he started): https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/189938-rulebook-pdfs/

It basically boils down to someone at Lucasarts in the 90s deciding that a pdf rulebook constitutes a digital game.

Probably because the only thing you need to actually play an rpg is the printed rulebook and some paper and pencil. When you're buying and rpg, all you need to buy is the rulebook, so it doesn't make sense for FFG to put that online for free if that's what they're trying to sell. A free pdf of an rpg rulebook basically becomes free print-and-play.

Board games are different from rpgs, you need the tiles and models and dice and chits in addition to the rulebook to play the game.

It's still definitely a gray area and digital app development is very expensive so I'm sure Descent needed this enough to justify the expense and while Imperial assault probably doesn't. For now, the RAEV on bgg is a good alternative.

Probably because the only thing you need to actually play an rpg is the printed rulebook and some paper and pencil. When you're buying and rpg, all you need to buy is the rulebook, so it doesn't make sense for FFG to put that online for free if that's what they're trying to sell. A free pdf of an rpg rulebook basically becomes free print-and-play.

No one has asked for a free PDF (though a comp one when purchasing the book would be nice).  Plenty of people have asked for the alternative of purchasing PDFs instead of physical books.

No one has asked for a free PDF (though a comp one when purchasing the book would be nice).  Plenty of people have asked for the alternative of purchasing PDFs instead of physical books.

Interesting sidebar here: WotC don't seem to offer pdf versions of the 5th edition players handbook etc. presumably they don't have a licensing issue stopping it so it was a business descision in that case.

I dont follow. Converting your book to PDF is something I could go understand doing for convenience. Then taking that scanned book and torrenting it to 10k total strangers is not something a person does for personal convenience.

Converting your copy to a different format isn't piracy. Your not suggesting that those 10k strangers are just poor folks without a scanner and have already purchased the book?

Edited by Sam Tomahawk

I dont follow. Converting your book to PDF is something I could go understand doing for convenience. Then taking that scanned book and torrenting it to 10k total strangers is not something a person does for personal convenience.

Converting your copy to a different format isn't piracy. Your not suggesting that those 10k strangers are just poor folks without a scanner and have already purchased the book?

I'm not talking about the person who uploads it. I'm talking about the people who download it.

Speaking for myself I can't find a physical copy of the force and destiny core (which I want) in stores or "local" online retailers (that is those I don't have to pay overseas shipping for). If there existed a legal PDF version I would have bought it (and possibly multiple other books in the line).

Also PDF's can be stored in multiples on a laptop or tablet as opposed to having 1 book and it taking up the same space, even better, they have bookmarking and searches (well, those made as a product do, scanned ones don't).

Could not agree more. I hope you are listening FFG.

One reason Imperial Assault hasn't hit the table with my group in a while, is because no one (other than me) wants to be the "Overlord"; AND I don't want to do it anymore, because Id like to play the campaign from the other side.

If an app like this was made for Imperial Assault, I would be tempted to actually buy the expansions you keep churning out. (that to this point, I have had no interest in.)

FYI, Mansions of Madness could use one of these apps too.

I only own the core and wave 1. After getting halfway through the campaign, my group quit out. I think a road to legend app for IA would bring the game back to the table, and give me a reason to pursue expansions.

Road to Legend already has me buying Descent expansions I would not have bought otherwise.