Sign in to follow this  
EpicBubbleSA

New Descent App Allows for full CO-OP, do you think this should/will come to IA

Anyone else hoping for a army builder build in ? :P

And do you guys think there is a chance we get info on this or other stuff and may 4th ?

We will get something just might not be IA, if I am not sure last time they announced the starwars X wing force awakens stuff.

I think with Asohka now turning up in the RPG, or at least a variation of her, IA and Armada are the only games left without any type of Rebels content.  It is our turn!  It fits so close with the timeline we are currently playing in.

I think with Asohka now turning up in the RPG, or at least a variation of her, IA and Armada are the only games left without any type of Rebels content. It is our turn! It fits so close with the timeline we are currently playing in.

Armada is getting a Gonzati pack now too...

Edited by ThatJakeGuy

I have everything for descent 2e except for two or three LT packs and will be buying this app. That said there are things I would like for IA.

1. Mission editor to create our own missions and custom campaigns

2. Skirmish map consolidator (works with #3&4)

3. Inventory to keep track of all cards and figures combined with a wish list for product

4. Generic layout of maps i.e. 2a goes to 6a kind of a pictorial diagram with map numbers instead of what picture they have on them

5. Squad tracker to go into a tournament app they should develop for lots of the competitive games to make a sanctioned event run more smoothly and less paperwork (in theory)

I would pay top dollar for this and once the frame work is in place I see no reason why they could release one for xwing, armada, even the lcg's just another market that is all 3rd party which I use but I haven't found one that does it all for me.

PS. This is a wish list not a rant about why oh why don't you (ffg) do this. If I had any skill in programming I would try to I just tend to break computers

An app like this would be fantastic for IA, but it definitely can take a year or more of development to create, so there's no reason to get disappointed because it isn't out right now. Hopefully, we will see it by this time next year.

I'd really like to see a consolidated skirmish map encyclopedia within the app, with integrated squad building and tracking features, too.

Also, the tile reveal as-u-go mechanic would be fantastic in IA. I'd love to see that brought to IA in an expansion, regardless of the app status.

Edited by Arttemis

I downloaded the app today and tested it out. You don't need codes or anything to add components to your collection within the app. You simply select what you have. The app simply dictates the tiles, location of items, monster spawn points, and monsters. It has predetermined action lists for monsters that players then follow. Overall the app is useless with out the physical game. Personally after testing it I would absolutely love this for IA. Because much of the game mechanics are the same it should hopefully just be a graphical switch with minor tweaks. This would make AI so much more interesting for me and my friends because then we can play with less guys, and all together. Its a great app, its free and if you have descent just became a must have for the game. I really hope the sly answers we got at GAMA do mean we will see this for AI.

I think it would also introduce solo play, for people who have a hard time finding others to play with. At minimum, you need two people, but with an app you can have someone to play against as a rebel team on your own.

Jacob

Edited by jkokura

I downloaded the app today and tested it out. You don't need codes or anything to add components to your collection within the app. You simply select what you have. The app simply dictates the tiles, location of items, monster spawn points, and monsters. It has predetermined action lists for monsters that players then follow. Overall the app is useless with out the physical game. Personally after testing it I would absolutely love this for IA. Because much of the game mechanics are the same it should hopefully just be a graphical switch with minor tweaks. This would make AI so much more interesting for me and my friends because then we can play with less guys, and all together. Its a great app, its free and if you have descent just became a must have for the game. I really hope the sly answers we got at GAMA do mean we will see this for AI.

It can also give the monsters special powers depending on the scenario. I love it. Not only can I easily play a campaign solo, but it makes things interesting with how it pulls in open groups and Lts. It is neat how it can build stuff from your collection. One of the big complaints in Descent is that very few expansions use stuff introduced in the last expansion or build off it, because of the philosophy of the expansions being able to be playable with only the core + expansion. So, monsters can get new status to inflict. I am just curious how much the campaigns will be and how long they will be. Because the first campaign isn't very long. 

This would absolutely rock for Imperial Assault. I would hope they bring in all the existing campaigns, though, and not just a single side mission per expansion.

Have to start small, I guess, but I'd love to see this get the full treatment. I'd pay a few bucks if it had all the missions.

This would absolutely rock for Imperial Assault. I would hope they bring in all the existing campaigns, though, and not just a single side mission per expansion.

Have to start small, I guess, but I'd love to see this get the full treatment. I'd pay a few bucks if it had all the missions.

I don't think it can work. The current campaigns and missions are set up for the Imperial player vs Rebel players, not co-op. There are certain things that have to be changed to work in a co-op set up. 

And to be blunt about the reality, that isn't where the money is. In the Descent app, we get one free campaign, that with the tutorial is 5 adventures max, with the tutorial mission. It doesn't add the side quests we can get for owning the actual expansions (not the LT packs or Hero & Monster packs). It has the next campaign advertised, but until we know the cost and length of the campaign (lack of Act II support is somewhat worrisome about length), it is a bit early to have a final opinion on the app. 

Personally, I really like it, as it is new campaigns, that I can play on my own. And it randomizes some effects to make things work differently from last you played. 

Cost is 10 dollars, they already stated that in a previous article.

98% of the people on the Descent board are pumped about this and are loving it, 2% haters trying to spread doubt. 

Edited by FrogTrigger

Whether it's the app or an expansion mechanic, there's definitely room for Imperial Assault to introduce the unveiling tile progression in campaign mode. Anticipating the next area using that method would make the modular tile system so much more engaging, and add tension to the co-operative campaign.

And to be blunt about the reality, that isn't where the money is.

I ... disagree quite heavily. The LotR LCG has shown that coop experiences are something that is currently under-served by the industry. It's quite an old game that continues to grow, despite already having a pretty big barrier to entry. Add that to the fact that in the poll created and posted yesterday, 2/3 of the players actually prefer campaign. Also the biggest gripe in the campaign seems to be the snowball effect (where one side seems destined to win in the last few missions, poisoning the fun for the other side). And if that's not enough, RAEV (a solo/coop conversion for IA) continues to gather a significant following over at BGG with people already creating dedicated mobile apps.

With all that in mind, I can see a coop experience for IA being in high demand.

I can not see how the community would not be all over a Road to Legends style app for IA.

i will admit, some of my hesitation is just my general distrust of the pay schemes apps can have. So I am a bit hesitant to see how much the $10 gets me for the new campaign. 

Something like Road to Legend would be great for Imperial Assault. I'm loving what little I have. But, I would not expect it to use the missions/campaigns that you can find in the expansions. Road to Legend uses completely new quests. And you only get new ones if you have the expansions, not the Hero & Monster packs, which do come with a new quest. But it really does irritate the completionist itch. 

Having just reached the half-way mark of our group's first IA campaign (and loving it!**), I've started to wonder whether a Road to Legend-esque app for IA would be thematically appropriate. With Descent being a dungeon crawler, part of the app's charm is that you explore, laying down the tiles as you search new areas. In this way, the app adds an element that Descent-in-the-box was sorely missing. That said, I'm not sure that this same kind of exploration would be appropriate to an IA equivalent app. I suppose you could take out the tile-by-tile exploration in favour of the whole map being revealed, but then that's one key element of the app that (IMHO) makes it such an engaging experience. Perhaps rebel players could "explore" the Imperial base they're assaulting, but I like the idea that they have the intel and know the layout.

That said, an IA app would remove the issue of the Imperial player potentially feeling guilty for beating on the rebels so much.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, I just think it suits Descent a lot more.

**In the week we've had IA, we've already played it more than Descent in the couple of years we've had that. The rule tweaks just seem to make the game faster and a little more tactical, more urgent. Skirmish is great too! Really enjoying it so far!

Edited by Pac_Man3D

Well, I think with the automated system, it is more free for the Overlord to be a bit more mean. Because the app will break group limits, which is a balancing factor when you have a player Overlord. With a human player, you sort of have to keep the rules balanced for the Overlord. With the computer, not quite so much. 

It would be a pretty different game, no doubt. 

Let me be crystal clear: I currently own solely the base Core Set of Imperial Assault. It's a fun game, we're almost through the main campaign (playing once every two months or something like that because of player availability). Although they look intriguing, I have no real incentive to get Twin Shadows, Return to Hoth or Bespin Gambit (after all: not done yet with the main one!).

If a companion app was to be published, I would INSTANTLY BUY ALL THE OTHER BOXES (present and future) WITHOUT A MOMENT'S HESITATION.

That is my message to you, FFG. :)

And that was basically the response in the Descent thread, so many people who have had the game sitting on their shelf OR had been sitting on the fence about expanding their collection picked it up and caught up on all the expansions for release of the app.  The ability to play it with their spouse, kids, friends or even solo without having to make it a me vs them game has proven to be vastly popular.  As other very successful Kick Starter games have shown us (Swords and Sorcery is one example).

I don't think it is a question of IF this app comes out for IA, just when.  All FFG has to do is show Disney their sales spike from Descent in relation to the app.  Disney will always find a way if there is money to be made.

As for me, well I enjoy playing as the OL I think it is a lot of fun and challenges me.  But that being said I would love to be able to play it on the same side as my friends, or maybe even be able to convince my wife.  The best part about this app is that it would be completely optional, don't like it? Don't play it!  But you are missing out.  It essentially just expands the content using existing pieces you already own, what is not to love about that?  A full additional campaign that can be core box only for $10, that is a deal.  There really is no reason to be against it and when you have an idea that is so good it has no down sides then you really should be putting it through.

Edited by FrogTrigger

That, and you don't get upset at your friend when the Overlord/Imperial player decides to start being an evil jerk. I swear, some of the things the app has done to my party is just evil. And I apparently haven't even seen the worst. 

If you putz around to long, the app will insta kill your party. 

And that was basically the response in the Descent thread, so many people who have had the game sitting on their shelf OR had been sitting on the fence about expanding their collection picked it up and caught up on all the expansions for release of the app.  The ability to play it with their spouse, kids, friends or even solo without having to make it a me vs them game has proven to be vastly popular.  As other very successful Kick Starter games have shown us (Swords and Sorcery is one example).

I don't think it is a question of IF this app comes out for IA, just when.  All FFG has to do is show Disney their sales spike from Descent in relation to the app.  Disney will always find a way if there is money to be made.

As for me, well I enjoy playing as the OL I think it is a lot of fun and challenges me.  But that being said I would love to be able to play it on the same side as my friends, or maybe even be able to convince my wife.  The best part about this app is that it would be completely optional, don't like it? Don't play it!  But you are missing out.  It essentially just expands the content using existing pieces you already own, what is not to love about that?  A full additional campaign that can be core box only for $10, that is a deal.  There really is no reason to be against it and when you have an idea that is so good it has no down sides then you really should be putting it through.

I have played more Descent 2.0 in the past 2 weeks than I have in the past 3 years because of this app.

Did a Google search about Imperial Assault App and came here.

Really glad to hear about the 'sly' comment at GAMA as it seems to say a lot without committing to anything.

Agree that if the app makes a ton of money they will have to give the IA a look as it has only been played once since day one and would play the heck out of it on the app.  Human overlord just causes too many problems in my group.

At $9.95 I think it will be a smash hit and they won't be able to release content fast enough.  I have seen so many posts that people are buying the game and expansions JUST because of this app and I am one of them.

Please FFG take our money and make an IA app.

Great points, glad to hear you are enjoying the game.  I've loved the app, in fact my group has decided after our next play through here of Twin Shadows we are jumping ship to Descent for the Kindred Fire campaign.  Haven't even got to Hoth or Bespin yet but the way they have set this app up is just way to much fun to not play it.

Anyone who is on the fence or even considering picking up Descent go right now, it is a very similar value to the IA core (without the skirmish, but it is also cheaper) and a traditional dungeon crawl, fantasy adventure game in every way.  FFG deserves an award for their flawless execution of this new style of play.