Volkren

Road to legend

Hi there,
I must be totally numb, i read twice the rules, but when are we supposed to refresh fatigue, conditions and health ? Is it after ending a quest ? It is puzzling me cause when you travel again to talamir zfter a quest you may suffer fatigue or hearts due to traveling events. I would have guess that you recover health and so on by waiting one week in Talamir (As in Runebound) but it is not explicitly said.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know how you are supposed to apply the "treasure chest" search card? As it doesn't seem to have an option to manually add the item you find from it into your inventory. Unless i missed the instruction to remove that from the deck along with the "nothing" card. Other than that 9yo daughter and I are having great fun, having played the tutorial and just begun exploring the first side quest!

(only caveat is one of my characters is the warden, and literally three of her powers have "no effect", couldn't they just be repurposed to mitigate some of the random events that pop up?)

Edited by 00looper00

Hi there,

I must be totally numb, i read twice the rules, but when are we supposed to refresh fatigue, conditions and health ? Is it after ending a quest ? It is puzzling me cause when you travel again to talamir zfter a quest you may suffer fatigue or hearts due to traveling events. I would have guess that you recover health and so on by waiting one week in Talamir (As in Runebound) but it is not explicitly said.

As far as I remember (I haven't tried it) you can't mark a player as dead AFTER a quest...

So if an effect would harm you (and possible knock a hero out) you would lose morale... which is not possible in the app.

So my guess is you recover everything after a quest and keep the damage from traveling events for the next quest.

EDIT: I just remembered again: the RtL rules say you follow the standard rules except the differences pointed out in the RtL rules... And the standard rules are you discard discard damage/fatigue tokens and conditions at the end of a quest...

And because the RtL app (or it's rules) don't tell you anything different that rule still counts, right?

Edited by Kaisho

Hi there,

As far as I can remember, it said to refresh as you pack up the map tiles etc from previous quest. I would have thought as per Kaisho's post above, that damage from travelling events is held over for the quest you're travelling to. Edited by 00looper00

Hi everyone! Does anyone know how you are supposed to apply the "treasure chest" search card? As it doesn't seem to have an option to manually add the item you find from it into your inventory. Unless i missed the instruction to remove that from the deck along with the "nothing" card. Other than that 9yo daughter and I are having great fun, having played the tutorial and just begun exploring the first side quest!

(only caveat is one of my characters is the warden, and literally three of her powers have "no effect", couldn't they just be repurposed to mitigate some of the random events that pop up?)

Nothing, treasure chest and secret room card should be removed as instructed.

Ah thanks, I misread that as the "nothing" and "secret room" card. It's a shame that you have to replay the tutorial to check this stuff as its not detailed in the downloadable instructions.

Ah thanks, I misread that as the "nothing" and "secret room" card. It's a shame that you have to replay the tutorial to check this stuff as its not detailed in the downloadable instructions.

Pag. 3 on the rules ... :P

So if an effect would harm you (and possible knock a hero out) you would lose morale... which is not possible in the app.

So my guess is you recover everything after a quest and keep the damage from traveling events for the next quest.

EDIT: I just remembered again: the RtL rules say you follow the standard rules except the differences pointed out in the RtL rules... And the standard rules are you discard discard damage/fatigue tokens and conditions at the end of a quest...

And because the RtL app (or it's rules) don't tell you anything different that rule still counts, right?

Ok it makes sense cause as you said there is no possibility to mark the heroes as KO when you re traveling. And you probably have to follow the classic game rules if nothing new about that is written. Nevertheless it feels strange cause after a quest you come back to the map and it seems more that you are nowhere and just trying to decide where to go next. Going back to a base camp would have been thematically  better and more explicit. And to rest in your base camp should definitively cost time.

Ok it makes sense cause as you said there is no possibility to mark the heroes as KO when you re traveling. And you probably have to follow the classic game rules if nothing new about that is written. Nevertheless it feels strange cause after a quest you come back to the map and it seems more that you are nowhere and just trying to decide where to go next. Going back to a base camp would have been thematically  better and more explicit. And to rest in your base camp should definitively cost time.

I think you are right, thematically it would make sense.

But I think a party without a healer would never be able to win that way. (It's already almost impossible as it is right now...)

Maybe FFG should add some effects for a party without a healer or something....

Like they sometimes could find an extra healing potion or something along the line instead of gold.

Sounds as if Peril is a bit OP. If it's the main reason people are losing quests, I'd advise FFG to nerf it. As a GM I will.

I really just want the app to have a difficulty slider and with a lower setting it could just ramp up the damage a little slower.

Hi there,

I believe the tutorial tells you things get refreshed when you finish a quest and are back at the map. Also visiting the town resets your moral if you had fatalities in the quest.

The tutorial also tells you to take out 3 search cards from the deck (nothing, treasure chest, secret room)

Hi there,

As far as I remember (I haven't tried it) you can't mark a player as dead AFTER a quest...

It tells you in the tutorial for the app. Go through the tutorial guys...

Sounds as if Peril is a bit OP. If it's the main reason people are losing quests, I'd advise FFG to nerf it. As a GM I will.

I really just want the app to have a difficulty slider and with a lower setting it could just ramp up the damage a little slower.

Haven't had the chance to experience it all yet. But I've read that the heroes have taken up to 14 damage off of Peril effects. To me that's too much. 14 damage is enough to KO most heroes, regardless of armor. Plus it's a set value with no way to influence it ( either by defense dice rolls or attribute testing). I'm only assuming- but if this is indeed the case on what's occurring, then it's going to be an effect that caters to only one style of play for the heroes to have any chance of winning. That's not going to sit well and I'll make it so it is fair to everyone involved.  

I also answered to your concern in the other thread. :)

However to allay fears about that specific Peril effect: I've played 7 Quests so far and not seen it come to that. I've seen at most 5 damage to each Hero.

As I've said elsewhere, the app forces you to do something that furthers the Quest each round, either defeating a Monster Group/Unique Monster, Opening a Door, interacting with an Objective Token.

You can reasonably safely miss 1 or 2 rounds doing something like that. From 3 onwards it becomes hairy...

Not only, for me at least, does it create a sense of urgency, which brings tension that I like. It also acts as a balancing mechanism, so that Heroes don't spend too much time Resting and Healing between encounters.

So through this first campaign (which I played solo) I found I was getting quite attached to my heroes. And in this starter campaign you don't really get much more than 1 XP growth so they don't develop much.

So, what's the chances of having a set of linked campaigns that would let me take my group, complete with items bought and skills gained, through to the next story and on? I want them to become total badasses in time and have revenge on that last guy!!

Also, it would be great if you could open more side quests before going to the main one, instead of just the two (or did I miss something?)

One major Peril I had that was quite funny was in the sidequest to open the chests, as soon as I picked up the key and the last enemy spawned, Valyndra also spawned right next to that enemy. She also blocked the doorway back towards the objective and I already had a peril tick for 2 damage on all my heroes. Thankfully I just spent any remaining feats I had and piled onto the unique enemy from the quest to end it but those major perils can get painful.

I haven't seen more than 5 damage from perils either yet but it stacks up quite fast especially if you have 8 hp heroes. I was too far away from a door having dealt with a party of giants tailing me and as I walked up to the door I was slapped with 2 then 5 damage. My healer was choking it on 1 hp after that but still standing. 

I've played through the campaign twice now and on the second run through I took a treasure hunter with me and fished for healing potions and passed them around. So if I couldn't get to a door for whatever reason I had a contingency. Also no heroes with less than 4 speed or less than 10 health. I'm hoping they add a difficulty slider to the perils so you can try out tactics you aren't familiar with or heroes you aren't stellar with. A quick fix you can do until then is to make it easier is to ignore any major perils that pop up only taking the effect of minor ones. 

One thing that I am wondering is I played with a geomancer where I blocked doors a lot or made it so enemies had to use both actions walking towards the heroes, around the stones. I was wondering with all the engage/spot/retreat do the familiars count as a hero for those purposes? I'm guessing only if the familiars are the only things around (I made enemies attack as a last resort if there was no other way to get to the heroes) but I'm not so sure. 

The question about the Stones was answered in the latest FAQ with regards to the POD coop quests, and the answer is yes, Monsters can treat them as Heroes.

I would extend that to apply to the app as well.

Remember that Familiars are treated as heroes for Monster Activations and Attacks. They however ignore Peril and do not count towards your Pool of Morale.

You guys are going on with your Bol-Goreths and your Belthirs... get back to me after you have to deal with Trystane Olliven & his pet Ynfarnel Hulk... didn't help I was surrounded by Barghest, Bone Horrors and endless respawns of Fire Imps (Corbin does not like to hear Whispers in The Wind, he does not like to test Knowledge :P) and Cave Spiders.

And I have to say, Belthir's flavor text when he spawns is pretty rad. Trystane's is just awesome. Crackling explosion of green flame... mothafuuu....

Edited by Luijod

So through this first campaign (which I played solo) I found I was getting quite attached to my heroes. And in this starter campaign you don't really get much more than 1 XP growth so they don't develop much.

So, what's the chances of having a set of linked campaigns that would let me take my group, complete with items bought and skills gained, through to the next story and on? I want them to become total badasses in time and have revenge on that last guy!!

Also, it would be great if you could open more side quests before going to the main one, instead of just the two (or did I miss something?)

I think the coming soon campaign that you have to pay for will have alot more side quest options thrown in. The free one is just a taste of how the app works just to get you interested IMO.

Just dropping by to say that after a few hours of play over 2 days and being very near to the end (i think),  I can give this a massive thumbs up, it has bought some new and very welcome elements to the game and we have found that it flows very well and is very intuitive to use.  We have encountered different monsters and different perils on the 2nd playthrough (we restarted) even though we changed no settings so it does have a good randomiser.

The perils are good and increase the difficulty nicely, I can imagine that they would cause problems for a badly set up party which I think is how it should be.  Even the treasure chests are fun and seem to have been thought out well, I won't give spoilers but anyone who has made a start will know what I mean on the first chest :) .

I seem to have had a larger amount of Bilehall things than I might have expected but I guess that is just luck of the draw and you are only going to get them if you have inputted bilehall as part of your collection.

At the moment it looks like we will win but it could still throw up a big surprise.  I hope that the full campaign's are as good/better but most importantly sensibly priced.

I think the coming soon campaign that you have to pay for will have alot more side quest options thrown in. The free one is just a taste of how the app works just to get you interested IMO.

I'm really hoping that Kindred Fire has a lot to offer in the way of treasure cards, secret rooms, and more side quests. 

Remember that Familiars are treated as heroes for Monster Activations and Attacks. They however ignore Peril and do not count towards your Pool of Morale.

I remember seeing the peril but didn't find the treat as heroes bit. Found it now in the appendix.

It does mean though that Challara as a geomancer can really screw with enemy AI leading them back down corridors away from the party. I'm going to try it!

Edited by Davachido