Sign in to follow this  
ViscerothSWG

New Tournament Regulations today

Has anyone done the math on the new "advanced" cut, how many games you need to win, and the effect of intentional draws?

It went back to how it was before they dropped the rounds.  Previously it was always like the "Advanced" structure so if you were (total rounds - 1) wins and 1 loss you were almost guaranteed to make the top cut.  Intentional draws won't do much for this as you still need to win at least (TR-1) rounds to make the cut.

Anyone else notice the rules for "discard"?

"Discarded Upgrade Cards

When a player is instructed to discard an Upgrade card, he or she places it under the Ship card it is attached to instead. Upgrade cards under Ship cards are out of play."

And Tomax Bren says:

"Once per round, after you discard an  Upgrade card, flip that card faceup."

So... not sure what this means but you could argue that Tomax Bren does not work at tournaments.

Dual upgrade cards required a new way to discard as turning them over just exposes the other playable face. Maybe the released version of Tomax will have adjusted text to make perfect sense. Otherwise, we still know what it means.

So, I'm absent-minded, and the handwritten checklist I have "place dial, check PS, check pilot ability, flip dial, clear stress, complete maneuver, do action" would technically be illegal now?

I guess I'll just have to have the rulebook on me at all times open to the summary page.

Oh, and anyone who wants the 'dial sheets' will have to cut and paste the individual dial pictures from each and every pack. Because that IS FFG-provided information...

So I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I'm finally free to destroy my Phantom in the name of it looking like it's cloaked. On the other, this 'outside information' sticks in my craw.

Technicaly your opponent is required to bring the manouver chart for all ships he is using. If they don't enforce that, enforcing a ban on self made cheat sheets is ridiculous.

Wait, where's that?  I haven't kept a single one of those ever.

On the sheet (from the blister) itself:

"Keep this sheet on hand so that players can reference to this table at any time".

When opening up a new ship, I keep the plastic blister for my organizer, and I cut out the maneuver references. (I don't cut up my large ship books, I need to photocopy those to make my maneuver reference collection complete someday)

My oppnents rarely ask for one, but every now and then I get to pull one out so my opponent can see the manuvers.

So, I'm absent-minded, and the handwritten checklist I have "place dial, check PS, check pilot ability, flip dial, clear stress, complete maneuver, do action" would technically be illegal now?

I guess I'll just have to have the rulebook on me at all times open to the summary page.

Oh, and anyone who wants the 'dial sheets' will have to cut and paste the individual dial pictures from each and every pack. Because that IS FFG-provided information...

So I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I'm finally free to destroy my Phantom in the name of it looking like it's cloaked. On the other, this 'outside information' sticks in my craw.

Technicaly your opponent is required to bring the manouver chart for all ships he is using. If they don't enforce that, enforcing a ban on self made cheat sheets is ridiculous.

"Keep this sheet on hand so that players can reference to this table at any time".

But that's not anywhere in the game or tournament rules.  I don't think something written on the back of a blister pack is an enforceable rule.

Because asking your opponent, "Hey do you mind letting me look at the dial of ___ ship at next opportunity? Thanks"  is apparently so far beyond some people that they need sheets of paper. 

if its an interceptor that is stressed, its doing a 2 hard. *protip*

The dial only shows one maneuver at a time. I find the reference cards were much easier to help visualize what a ship is capable of.

Now I rarely use them except for new ships. But for new players, I think they're pretty important references.

But that's not anywhere in the game or tournament rules.  I don't think something written on the back of a blister pack is an enforceable rule.

When that blister is marketed as an expansion pack thats debateable. I wouldn't want anyone to throw a fit over this, but I believe more people should follow this rule just to be a nicer opponent. It does fit into the whole 'fly casual' deal.

When that blister is marketed as an expansion pack thats debateable. I wouldn't want anyone to throw a fit over this, but I believe more people should follow this rule just to be a nicer opponent. It does fit into the whole 'fly casual' deal.

no thanks, ill just look it up on my iphone if I have to. Paper = bad.

I know its unbelievable, but some people don't own a smartphone. I don't.

Well if you have to see the manuevers and i dont have a piece of paper or the dial handy I would be happy to pull it up for you. 

What are you going to pull up? If it's anything other than the FFG rules or FAQ PDF it's probably illegal now. 

Edited by WWHSD

Well if you have to see the manuevers and i dont have a piece of paper or the dial handy I would be happy to pull it up for you. 

What are you going to pull up? If it's anything other than the FFG rules or FAQ PDF it's probably illegal now. 

Thats ok. Its only cheating if someone throws a giant fit to the TO.

I don't mind sharing my dice, just as long as my opponent does not mind that I will put away my regional dice and bring out the plain, dull ones.  It's not that my regional dice are modified or luckier in any way; it's simply that I don't want to be paranoid about where my dice are if they get to move all around the table.  Those things are worth a lot to some people on Ebay and I don't want one accidentally lost in the process.

I hope a few of the common 'non' FFG aids like maneuver cards are cleared up soon.  I like the wallet sized maneuver cards and would hate to have to put them away at the Hoth open on Saturday (4/2) if I make it that far.  Here is hopping that shenanigans from WAAC players don't tarnish Saturday.

Oh, I misunderstood you there. You are right, how you inform your opponent shouldn't matter as long as it is adequate.

Back to only FFG playmats again.  :rolleyes:

I really cant see this being enforced. Unless it´s a FFG arranged/sponsored event I really dont think any TO will provide/insist on people bringing FFG´s mats

So I was using the excellent X-Wing Squadron Builder app and noticed in the tools section links to two web apps, X-Wing AI and Echolocator.  Both are ways of guessing/predicting your opponent's moves based on current positioning, and seem like the kind of thing FFG is talking about when they mention outside resources.

Talk about first world problems. Several people seem to be getting irrationally upset over dials and maneuver references.

Seriously, if you're playing a game and you think that it's somehow a problem to ask to see the dial of a given ship, you're playing that game wrong.

On a related note, when I first started playing, I routinely used a 45 degree triangle to set up my Lambda shuttles in the corners of the board, so that when I banked in either direction on turn 1 then they'd be nicely parallel to the table edge. I guess following that logic someone could also use a piece of cardboard to set up multiple ship formations by marking distance with it. I was just using it to save time - I could have gotten the same result by faffing about with the range rulers and whatnot, and no-one ever implied they had a problem with me doing so. I guess that kind of thing is disallowed now.

On a related note, when I first started playing, I routinely used a 45 degree triangle to set up my Lambda shuttles in the corners of the board, so that when I banked in either direction on turn 1 then they'd be nicely parallel to the table edge. I guess following that logic someone could also use a piece of cardboard to set up multiple ship formations by marking distance with it. I was just using it to save time - I could have gotten the same result by faffing about with the range rulers and whatnot, and no-one ever implied they had a problem with me doing so. I guess that kind of thing is disallowed now.

Not going to lie - I wouldn't be a fan of that. In my opinion, any kind of measuring like that isn't allowed - it should be done by eye. Using an angle item to help you set up is taking away some of the skill and practice required to use the move you want. If you set up incorrectly, that's your fault, and you shouldn't get something to help out with that.

During set up, you should get the range one ruler to show your limit, and work from there.

Modifications to ships are now technically legal! As long as you are clear as to what ship it really is!!! AWESOME

THIS is my favorite part of the new rules ... and I realize it probably seems minor to most players.

I personally hate (and I mean HATE) how the middle cannon on the E-Wing is located directly above the cockpit. I modded both of my E-wings so that the middle cannon is now a "swivel" gun under the nose of the E-wing (sort of like an Apache helicopter or somewhat like the nose gun on an A-10 Thunderbolt II fighter/bomber).

Being somewhat OCD about rules and rule violations, I never bothered to bring a list with E-Wings to a tournament because I altered the physical appearance of those miniatures beyond simply painting them.

Granted, I doubt anyone would have objected to me using my customized E-wings in a tournament before since all I did was move one small part of each miniature to a different location and they are "clearly" the same FFG E-wing miniatures that I purchased ... just with a more logical location for the middle cannon.

Still, I want to follow the rules and I'm glad FFG now allows us to physically modify the official miniatures beyond painting and still use them in competitive play.

Modifications to ships are now technically legal! As long as you are clear as to what ship it really is!!! AWESOME

THIS is my favorite part of the new rules ... and I realize it probably seems minor to most players.

I personally hate (and I mean HATE) how the middle cannon on the E-Wing is located directly above the cockpit. I modded both of my E-wings so that the middle cannon is now a "swivel" gun under the nose of the E-wing (sort of like an Apache helicopter or somewhat like the nose gun on an A-10 Thunderbolt II fighter/bomber).

Being somewhat OCD about rules and rule violations, I never bothered to bring a list with E-Wings to a tournament because I altered the physical appearance of those miniatures beyond simply painting them.

Granted, I doubt anyone would have objected to me using my customized E-wings in a tournament before since all I did was move one small part of each miniature to a different location and they are "clearly" the same FFG E-wing miniatures that I purchased ... just with a more logical location for the middle cannon.

Still, I want to follow the rules and I'm glad FFG now allows us to physically modify the official miniatures beyond painting and still use them in competitive play.

I was hoping to see this changed to what it is now.   I wonder if this has anything to do with the new SW:card game expansion. 

swc31_cardfan.png

The StrongBad mentality of DQ'ing PaintJobs is no more in the SW realm!!!!  All hail that glorious Empire for their generosity to allowing all ships of all colors. 

Took me a while to realize what you're talking about here, since I'm really tired...

My first thought was "but every ship is allowed one modification, what are you talking about?"  :blink:

I was hoping to see this changed to what it is now.   I wonder if this has anything to do with the new SW:card game expansion. 

swc31_cardfan.png

The StrongBad mentality of DQ'ing PaintJobs is no more in the SW realm!!!!  All hail that glorious Empire for their generosity to allowing all ships of all colors. 

Paint was previously legal, modifications to the model itself was not. The above was probably not the reason but the realization that people could be jerks and ruin cool stuff that improves the game.