Sign in to follow this  
EtnasVassal

Wampa's Ability- What's The Timing?

I was recently playing against an opponent who claimed that he could trigger Wampa's ability to cancel his die results after dice and tokens were spent and results were compared. To me it seems that his ability would kick in during the "Modify Attack Dice" step- in particular where "the attacker can resolve any card abilities that allow him to modify attack dice and that he has not already resolved during this attack".

I just want to be sure he was doing this correctly. I lost two of my three ships to him waiting to see what the final results were before scooping up his dice and saying "take a face down card". This seems rather extreme if this was being played correctly...

It looks to me like the timing would be exactly the same as you'd use for Accuracy Correctors.

That's what I would have guessed but the response from FFG gives it the same timing as Crackshot.

It looks to me like the timing would be exactly the same as you'd use for Accuracy Correctors.

That's what I would have guessed but the response from FFG gives it the same timing as Crackshot.

Which is completely stupid.  Crack shot mentions cancelling a Defensive die result and having that happen during the Compare results step isn't too far off but putting Wampa in that same space is nuts.

Personally, I think it makes Wampa extremely powerful having the timing at the start of the Compare Results step, probably over-powered for a measly 14 points. You can wait for the opponent to roll Defence Dice, modify them, spend tokens, and then just wipe all that out. I think it would be better if Wampa has to take a gamble and make the choice during the Modify Attack Dice step.

Personally, I think it makes Wampa extremely powerful having the timing at the start of the Compare Results step, probably over-powered for a measly 14 points. You can wait for the opponent to roll Defence Dice, modify them, spend tokens, and then just wipe all that out. I think it would be better if Wampa has to take a gamble and make the choice during the Modify Attack Dice step.

Agreed.  As it stands, he's a little too much "point and click".  Having to gamble on your opponents evade roll would have balanced him out a little.

If you can wait to see how your opponent's defense works out and what other resources they spend before simply saying "**** you, have a card instead."  Do it during the modify attack phase and the defense doesn't matter but Wampa may be giving up the potential to cause more total damage.

Whoa hold on. I thought Accuracy Corrector happens during the attacker modifies step, while Wampa's ability happens way later. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I understood this as:

Using Accuracy Corrector:

Attacker rolls dice

Defender modifies dice

Attacker modifies dice - initiating Accuracy Corrector and cancelling all dice to add 2 booms

Defender rolls dice

Attacker modifies dice

Defender modifies dice

compare results - meaning it's possible that AC can still be defended against with evade tokens and natural rolls

Attacking with Wampa (and adding Palp for arguments sake to guarantee a kaboom):

Wampa rolls dice

Defender modifies dice

Wampa modifies dice - changing a die to a kaboom

Defender rolls dice

Attacker modifies dice

Defender modifies dice

Wampa cancels all his dice results and hands a dmg card to the defender

If I've got this wrong, I'm dusting off my accurate B's.

Whoa hold on. I thought Accuracy Corrector happens during the attacker modifies step, while Wampa's ability happens way later. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

I understood this as:

Using Accuracy Corrector:

Attacker rolls dice

Defender modifies dice

Attacker modifies dice - initiating Accuracy Corrector and cancelling all dice to add 2 booms

Defender rolls dice

Attacker modifies dice

Defender modifies dice

compare results - meaning it's possible that AC can still be defended against with evade tokens and natural rolls

Attacking with Wampa (and adding Palp for arguments sake to guarantee a kaboom):

Wampa rolls dice

Defender modifies dice

Wampa modifies dice - changing a die to a kaboom

Defender rolls dice

Attacker modifies dice

Defender modifies dice

Wampa cancels all his dice results and hands a dmg card to the defender

If I've got this wrong, I'm dusting off my accurate B's.

You're right; the timing is different from Accuracy Corrector.

In the old rulebook there was a line that said all abilities that involve canceling results happen during Compare Results. So Accuracy Corrector had to be errata'd to happen during Attacker Modifies Attack Dice instead of Compare Results. Since then the new rules have come out, and they didn't have the line about canceling happening during Compare Results, but everything that involves cancellation since then (Crack Shot, Wampa) has been FAQ'd to happen during Compare Results, so we may as well act like that's still in the rules.

Like I said it LOOK like it would be exactly the same as it is for Accuracy Corrector.  Maybe I'm not reading them correctly in a squad builder but don't both say:

"When attacking you may cancel all die results."

It's just what happens after that which is different.

Like I said it LOOK like it would be exactly the same as it is for Accuracy Corrector.  Maybe I'm not reading them correctly in a squad builder but don't both say:

"When attacking you may cancel all die results."

It's just what happens after that which is different.

Per the most-current FAQ (the one just released today), both of those cards have been errata'd to include wording that specifies which step of the Attack sequence they trigger in.

As covered upthread, for AC it's Attacker Modifies Attack Dice and for Wampa it's Compare Results.