Sign in to follow this  
biohunter21

Best/Favorite heroes? (Or worst)

Hrmm can Diala's cleave be used in a range sense with dancing weapon?   Like you do your range attack, clearly out of melee range, but can cleave the character near her target like blast would work?

As the Imperial I really hate playing against Fenn, and I especially hate a Fenn + Gideon combination.  As the Rebel player I find that Fenn and Gideon are very powerful, but boring together.  I actually prefer to play Gharkaan with a good cleave weapon.  I forget the name of it but it rolls Green and Red.. then get the ability to replace his focus die with a red die, devastating affects.

Hrmm can Diala's cleave be used in a range sense with dancing weapon?   Like you do your range attack, clearly out of melee range, but can cleave the character near her target like blast would work?

Absolutely. Cleave's rule specify an "eligible target" (not adjacent, as most people assume because of the example), which would be anything she has LOS to and within the range of the accuracy rolled. Dancing Weapon specifically states that she performs a Ranged Attack with her Melee weapon.

"Cleave", RRG, Page 8:

The chosen figure or object must be an eligible target. For example, for a melee attack (without Reach), the chosen figure must be adjacent to the attacker.

Edited by Fizz

That is very interesting, so it is like a nice way for the Rebels to get around spreading figures out to avoid blast.  I could have two Storm Troopers on opposite ends of the map and she could still cleave with LOS.  I guess the thematic side of it is that the blaster deflects off the targets armor, while still doing damage, to shoot across the room and hit another target?  Pretty magical bullet (i cant help but think of the second shooter Seinfeld episode here) but I can figure out a way to spin it.. my group is all about the thematics so I always need to figure out how things fit into the story and the laws of the world we are playing in.

It costs 2 strain, so it isn't exactly a cheap ability, but still powerful.

Diala and it's entirely for Force Adept.  Giving the entire team a reroll ability has turned an awful lot of poor rolls into lethal ones.  The randomness of the dice can be pretty frustrating, with Diala, that frustration is all put on the Imperials.

Edited by Union

Worst is Biv, in my opinion. All of his abilities are focused around his Up Close and Personal action, and they're not worth it. His endurance of 4 means he rarely has enough strain to do what he needs to, and most of his class cards induce strain. He's too hard to be effective with.

Saska and Biv both seem really underwhelming to me. I'd probably rate them as the worst 2 out of all of them.

Diala has amazing utility, but I'd probably put her at #2 behind Fenn. Tactical Movement is just insanely useful for a mere 1xp, and the rest of his deck is also solid. If he gets the new Blast attachment for Blast 2 early in the campaign, he's borderline overpowered.

Verena and Loku also rank pretty highly for me -- Verena is a beast at wiping out larger numbers of weaker units even when they spread out to play around Fenn's blast, and Loku's mark can add up to very significant bonus damage over the course of many attacks against a harder target.

Gideon rounds out my top 5. He's not particularly fun to play, but since he barely needs any credit investment whatsoever (just maybe some armor at some point), his Masterstroke is an enormously useful force-multiplier for the Rebels' limited cash resources.

Worst is Biv, in my opinion. All of his abilities are focused around his Up Close and Personal action, and they're not worth it. His endurance of 4 means he rarely has enough strain to do what he needs to, and most of his class cards induce strain. He's too hard to be effective with.

The Biv player is quite effective in my campaign. Build him to get stuck in, with some defense bonuses and he's a monster. With CAP, the melee attack rolls a surge you cannot spend 67% of the time (until he gets the Bayonet Upgrade), so the Biv player should be spending that to recover a strain. Most players forget that.

As far as favorite, I *love playing Gideon. I get to sit at the table, feel the movement of the pieces, and then then hand out an action wherever its most effective, usually to the surprise of the player I tap. There's less glory than playing, say, Fenn, but when you catch the eye of the imperial across the table and he realizes you're playing the same sort of game he is, its absolutely priceless.

Gideon is the most powerful hero currently. He effectively functions as a placeholder for any hero and thus is even better than playing 3 heroes (where you can't activate 2 times twice in a row). Also his action advantage is amazing in late campaigns. With a single action he can generate 2 actions for other heroes and move 4 spaces. with the remaining action, he can either rest or just move again. You don't even neet to buy him anything, because of the easy availability of rest means he can't easily be turned and since he's not attacking, he doesn't need a weapon.

Weakest hero I would say is Saska. She doesn't have good action advantage and her skills max out in usefulness in the mid campaign. Afterwards she is dead weight imho.

Gideon is great but he drops fast with that black die and low health.  Getting him Laminate armor asap is a must.  If I want to in a mission I can generally focus him down within the first few rounds, then it makes it a lot harder to use Command with the lower endurance.  You will really hold the Rebels up if you are resting every single turn.

I usually back off and spread my damage to start and see how easy or hard the mission is going to be for the Rebels, then I decide if I want him dead or not.

I usually back off and spread my damage to start and see how easy or hard the mission is going to be for the Rebels, then I decide if I want him dead or not.

Great choice, me too. It also depends if I want to be kind or not and let the Rebels win. I have to wound Gaarkhan (with +3 health armor), MHD-19 (with +2 health reward armor) and Diala (no armor yet). Jyn isn't bad, but her Trick/Cheap Shots and such, make it difficult for regular Troopers to do so without getting one shotted. As soon as she's strained out, I go full scale attack on her. Even harder now that she has the gun that's GGY. But it makes it fun now (more challenging for me) :)

~D

I have played through 6 campaigns, 5 as the imperial and one as the rebel. I would have to say that as the rebel I loved being Gideon. His abilities make escape missions or anything having to do with capturing something extremely easy. As the imp, I can say that Fenn is for sure the most difficult to deal with while Jyn is the most pathetic. Any good imp player can move their pieces in an effective order that nullifies Jyn's interrupt ability which I think is what makes her so potentially good. There were plenty of missions during which I was both the rebel and imp player where Jyn never had a chance to do her interrupt because the imp player was smart enough to not let her see the figures at the beginning of their activation. Fen is probably the best character because he has the best tactical upgrades, and while imperial assault can be mistakenly labeled as a combat game, I would argue it is more tactical than straightforward battle.

I have no idea about best, but my favorite is my Walking Carpet. Mind you, when the Ancient Lightsaber comes out, my new favorite could very well be Gideon, Secret Jedi. 

bottom of the list for me is the Mon Cal. And that could very well be completely on me. No, thanks, man. 

Having played mostly as the imperial player I have to say:

From easiest to play agains to highest priority targets:

Saska- she is really just there for tech rolls

Biv- he is only really good at taking down 1 thing at a time......so maybe a Krayt Dragon?

MHD- his ability to support is annoying but not gamebreaking

Mak- haven't played against him in a while but his abilities centre on not having line of sight, he is okay.

Davith- so far, even with his sabre and falling leaf, he is just alright, he gets hit too hard unless he X-mans a lot.

Jyn- she can be really disruptive and sneaky and forces you to alter your move tactics to counter her interrupt.  Easy to flip though.

Murne- the jury is still out a bit but her consolidation abilities are pretty good and the false orders is very annoying

Garkhan- he starts solid with the charge ability and while he doesn't level as starkly as Diala he remains consistently tough and as the campaign goes on you don't want to target him or you risk focusing him, or flipping him and giving him inate bonus damage!

Diala- way of the sarlacc and her ability to force throw are great.  She can support and do damage and is great later on....if she gets her sabre

Verena- at first she was just kind of annoying but she can go on a tear and wipe out full squads on her own when used right.  The ability to move something and then attack it (forget the ability name) also cost me at least 2 mission wins on it's own.

Gideon- seems like the most effective rebel..tactically he lets you choose your most effective attacker to attack...again..but my group has never really played with him!

Loku- that +1 damage breaks the bank most of the time but his ridiculous range (man if he had hidden in Hoth) and if he is armed with the Valken Carbine he destroys just about anything (AT-ST, Tank) in one turn from the other side of the map.

Fenn- tactically I think only Gideon outstrips him but he is the best all around for flexibility, support and damage.  Your troopers lose squad training ability for fear of blast, he can share his move ability with others, and he has built in strain recovery.

Did I forget anyone?

Yeah, people get down on Loku, but having a +1 damage boost on any target for your whole team, without spending an action, from the very beginning of the game, is insane. And then when you can pick up crates without spending an action...

Not sure how he scales, but he starts out great.