Sign in to follow this  
biohunter21

Next purchases-Need Input!

Hi all- I have recently gotten and been playing (Practically non-stop) imperial assault. I just would like to some input on my next purchases.

I want to get: Twin shadows+ one corresponding ally or villan pack.

Return to hoth+ one corresponding ally or villan pack.

I play mainly campaign, so in which order and what packs should i buy?

Thanks!

At a sad 4 missions I wouldn't bother getting a pack "for" Twin Shadows.  Instead get Echo Base Troopers for Hoth, and Dengar if you want the figure as he is the most common villain.

Leia would probably be the best choice for a third pack.  Sorin is another Hoth villain to get for the model (as you'll already have the card and token.)

Depends on what you want to add to your campaign. If you are focusing on the campaign, the unique (IG-88, Royal Guard Champion, Han Solo, Chewie, etc...) expansions add only a rebel mission and an imperial agenda set for the campaign, so you're really just buying them for the figures to replace the tokens. Expansions that aren't represented in the box, such as Hired Guns, the upcoming ISB Infiltrators, and the Bantha Rider will add a little more flavor to your campaigns as they can be directly added to the campaign without the need to "unlock" them. Whereas the rebels have to "unlock" the allies such as Wookie Warriors.

If you plan on painting your models, then you should get the packs that you would like most to paint.

If you plan on expanding into skirmish, you will need to have a Core Set, Twin Shadows, Stormtroopers, Hoth and the Leia pack to play in sanctioned tournaments.

If you're mainly interested in campaign...

I'd buy Hired Guns if you don't have them already. Imperials can use them in open groups without having to earn them in a side mission so you'll probably get decent use out of them.

Other than that, just roll with whatever characters you like most.

If you want to play a new campaign, get Return to Hoth, more value for money.  But if you want to replay the original, get Twin Shadows, with the bonus of a mini campaign, and a couple new missions and items and stuff (many of which can be added to any campaign).

I would suggest Hired Guns and Wookiee Warriors for flavour.  Then Leia, cause she's so awesome.  Echo troopers if you get Hoth.  Don't get the Bantha Rider unless you're replaying the original.  You need an agenda to use it in Hoth (mostly snow tiles, Bantha is restricted to maps with at least one sand tile, unless you have a certain once-off agenda).

I would suggest also doing what I've started - since my multiple groups only play campaign, and nobody else in interested in purchasing, I put out a tip jar after every game.  Its helped me afford several figure expansions.  I currently have 1 of everything and 2 of hired guns.  :D

Is the twin shadows mini campaign any good? The main reason I want twin shadows is the heroes and the tiles. The cantina looks awesome! Is boba fett a good purchase? I will definitely get the hired guns.

Don't get the Bantha Rider unless you're replaying the original.  You need an agenda to use it in Hoth (mostly snow tiles, Bantha is restricted to maps with at least one sand tile, unless you have a certain once-off agenda).

A great excuse to paint a snowy bantha. The real question is...where are the Tauntauns?!!?

The mini-campaign is decent. It's only four missions long, with accelerated advancement, no side missions, and can be powered through in a single 8 hour game session. The Boba Fett figure is pretty sweet. Just what you would expect.

The campaign is fun, difficult and can be played in 2 or 3 days. Your mileage may vary with the heroes and imperial class. But the maps are very interesting, and the heavy troopers pack a punch. Haven't played enough with Boba to know if he's good.

We have a great guide just for that:

http://boardwars.eu/ally-and-villain-packs-for-star-wars-imperial-assault/

My personal recommendations would be:

• R2-D2 & C-3PO
  • Leia Organa or Echo Base Troopers

Which hasn't been updated with Wave 4 or Wave 6 details...  :(

Wave 4 is still on the way here in central europe. As soon as I get the cards, I will write those articles.

Wave 6 (is this even Wave 6 and not Wave 7?) placeholders will be added when I write the Wave 4 articles.

Regardless, since he was specifically asking for waves released alongside boxes, all of them are listed and reviewed there. :)

Curious why everyone recommends the Echo Base Troopers?  Not arguing, just curious :)

I would recommend the Droids for TS, the villains are spread pretty evenly between Boba or Kayn for that campaign so you will see a token half the time regardless, but the droids work into I think 4/6 missions and can be won as a reward early on and used by the rebels for the rest of the campaign.

I would buy Kayn absolutely last unless you want the Rule by Fear skirmish upgrade.

I think the TS campaign is a lot of fun, some of the maps can be quite challenging for your Rebels so take it easy as the Imp, but overall it is a great experience because it is littered with known characters.

I would guess people recommend EBT because they appear for free in several RtH missions, so its nice to have their figures instead of the tokens. Also (minor spoiler for the end of the RtH introductory mission):

If the Rebels win the first mission in RtH, they get to deploy the EBTs as allies in any future mission, and they're a pretty decent group who may be worth their cost in many situations, so they're more likely to see regular use.

I would guess people recommend EBT because they appear for free in several RtH missions, so its nice to have their figures instead of the tokens. Also (minor spoiler for the end of the RtH introductory mission):

If the Rebels win the first mission in RtH, they get to deploy the EBTs as allies in any future mission, and they're a pretty decent group who may be worth their cost in many situations, so they're more likely to see regular use.

Also...

Because you can get them in the first mission, if you ALSO play the side mission to get them, you are then allowed to use the ELITE version of them, which is VERY good.

Is the twin shadows mini campaign any good? The main reason I want twin shadows is the heroes and the tiles. The cantina looks awesome! Is boba fett a good purchase? I will definitely get the hired guns.

It's very good, but very short.

Honestly with the latest news for Descent with the cool Co-Op app and FFG's unwillingness to make Skirmish more easily accessible to grow the community, I recommend your next purchase be Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd edition :D

Its going to be mine!!

Honestly with the latest news for Descent with the cool Co-Op app and FFG's unwillingness to make Skirmish more easily accessible to grow the community, I recommend your next purchase be Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2nd edition :D

Its going to be mine!!

Just in time for them to obsolete it all and release a 3rd edition!

Doubt it, the app content is entirely brand new including completely new campaigns, with all those expansions to draw on for map tiles heroes and villains and all they have to do is write up some missions and post it in a PDF, the content is literally endless.

Decent does have two advantages. Its not tied to 40 years of lore, so they can essentially do anything. And it doesn't have a skirmish mode to bog down and distract from the game.

Still, I'm already money sunk in IA and can't really justify buying another very similar game.

Decent does have two advantages. Its not tied to 40 years of lore, so they can essentially do anything. And it doesn't have a skirmish mode to bog down and distract from the game.

Still, I'm already money sunk in IA and can't really justify buying another very similar game.

I like the fact that IA has both modes. i just wish the skirmish mode cards were 100% separate from the campaign mode deployment cards. That way even figures like regular stormtroopers could have a different function in the campaign vs skirmish.

Edited by Fizz

I like the fact that IA has both modes. i just wish the skirmish mode cards were 100% separate from the campaign mode deployment cards. That way even figures like regular stormtroopers could have a different function in the campaign vs skirmish.

I think they will do a better job on this, esp with uniques going forward. Either be balanced better for both modes or just make 2 diff versions which I think we r all good on that.

~D