Sign in to follow this  
MindHoney

A flying ship

So to be more specific, what are the restrictions on the spell flight? From the path of air. Page 136 in the book the spell says

"This spell grants targets the ability to move with a flight value of 4. ....." The rest of the spell is just on powering it up.

It says no restrictions on it, I was wondering if anyone had seen any or know of any that could apply?

I'll keep this short and sweet, mostly because I'm not 100% on what you're asking, but...

In Core Exxet (the Spanish revision of the Core with all the updates, still not released in English), there's a clarification of one thing which may help. Page 147 says "Otorga al afectado la capacidad de moverse con un Tipo de Vuelo místico determinado por el grado del conjuro." For those that don't speak Spanish, the important part to take from this is that you obtain a "mystical flight value."

Mystical Flight is defined on page 291 of the English Core, which says it's the same as Natural Flight, but it doesn't require space for wings, doesn't fall if it suffers criticals, etc., etc.

I hope this answers your question. If not though, please let me know.

Ahhh, fair enough from the title of the thread. I'd just thought you were being clever.

Well, this is going to depend a lot on the GM. By default, the spell works just as described, and can affect any being or object without regards to Presence or otherwise. That being said, granting something a Flight Value is not the same as saying it can fly. The problem comes in the interpretation of whether or not granting something a Flight Value is enough to have it use said Flight Value, or if something must trigger the activation of the power of flight.

Or, put another way, just because you turn a ball into rubber, does that mean it starts bouncing?

For the most part, I'd rule no. The ship has a Flight Value of 12, and that would be really cool if it decided to fly, but most ships don't decide to fly.

Of course, I base this decision off of many things like Flight being a low-level spell (Level 30), the spell mentioning nothing about forcing movement (say you pushed someone off a cliff after casting the spell, the person isn't obligated to start flying... unless they want to live), and the lack of flying fortresses ruling the skies of Gaia. Hell, airships are only a very recent invention (or reinvention, rather).

Besides that, there are spells more directly tailored to what you're asking, like Air Control (Air 56, though it would be a tricky way to go about it), Superior Psychokinesis (Air 86), and Levitation Sphere (Free Access 70-80). There are, of course, ways to do it without magic as well, but I decided to keep it within the spheres of the question, at least. There may be other spells I've missed, or Rituals as well. I'll admit to not having looked for every way to get a ship off the ground but, regardless, I'd argue the Flight spell isn't one of them unless you've got a willing sentient ship.

Your mileage may vary, however, and you should talk to your GM to see if they disagree. ^_^ Hope this answers your question a little better but, again, if it does not then let me know.

I just had a thought to offer. You can use it on the ship, but to make it actually fly would be a check on the captains relevant secondary ability. I don't have a sheet on me, but Navigation sounds right.

The difficulty would be relatively high as well. Let's go with 240.

Beat it by 50 or less, you can control it for five turns, then roll again.

51-100, an hour, then roll again.

100+, you can control it just fine.

Miss by 50 or less, nothing happens.

51-100, the ship teeters and you have to make an acrobatics check at 80 to remain on board. (STR 12 if holding on)

100+, the ship bucks like a horse, acrobatics 180, STR 16.

That's just how I see it possibly working. Yes, the ship -can- fly, but can you control when/if it does?

I just had a thought to offer. You can use it on the ship, but to make it actually fly would be a check on the captains relevant secondary ability. I don't have a sheet on me, but Navigation sounds right.

That's just how I see it possibly working. Yes, the ship -can- fly, but can you control when/if it does?

The Piloting secondary is probably also appropriate, considering it's meant for flying vehicles, while Navigation is more sea-based.

The problem comes in that most ships have no way to steer up or down, only left and right, so without inhuman or zen results you'd only really be able to stay at an even altitude unless something was rigged to direct the ship up and down ("Alright, now everybody run to the front of the ship so we can descend!"). It can certainly be done, but it would require some knowledge of how to build a ship in order to modify one appropriately.

As to the last question, that's the whole reason I wouldn't let anyone fly a ship without a different spell. The spell makes no mention of being able to control when the target flies, only that it grants the target a Flight Value. So... that's my take. Your system isn't bad though if you're going for player freedom, which some people like to do. ^_^

I think Navigation would be more relevant than Piloting, since you're attempting to control a vessel that was originally sea-based. The controls would still be for a ship so, knowledge of how to control a glider or other flying vehicle wouldn't translate correctly.

I think Navigation would be more relevant than Piloting, since you're attempting to control a vessel that was originally sea-based. The controls would still be for a ship so, knowledge of how to control a glider or other flying vehicle wouldn't translate correctly.

Sorry, but this is a little like saying that controlling a car underwater would depend on the same skills you use for driving it on land. Or a hovercar, which have always proven to be an incredible challenge to drive for most people who've been driving most of their lives.

To some extent, you're right. Knowing how to actually steer the ship, open the sails, etc. would be useful, but the differences between doing that in the water and doing it in the air are pretty drastic for a number of reasons, not the least of which would be that the ship is under magical influences. Resistance of water vs air, combined effects of air and water currents vs just air currents, altitude effects, etc. I'm not saying Navigation would be entirely useless, or even wholly inappropriate, but, again, without modifications to the ship the ability to fly it in any way except for straight, left, right, and then whatever direction the wind took you would be Inhuman, which is an inconvenient level to need for something so necessary to useful flight. And with those modifications the vessel is much less a sea-faring ship than it is a sky-faring ship. And with it being a sky-faring ship, Piloting is more appropriate.

The controls might be similar but adding another axis always complicates matters (not to mention everything else I listed), and Anima has a specific skill that represents that complication. I'm not saying Piloting is the only way, which is why I used "probably also appropriate" in my recommendation, but I do think it's a valid secondary for this purpose, assuming you're allowing such things in the first place.