Sign in to follow this  
daddystabz

Dawn of Defiance timeline as opposed to this game

I played in a Star Wars Saga edition campaign for Dawn of Defiance when Saga was the official game for SW and played all the way through the campaign to max level with a jedi character, eventually becoming a jedi master.  

Now I am running a FFG Star Wars game locally and I have an NPC in the party who I originally intended to be the son of my original jedi master from Dawn of Defiance but as I got thinking about things today I do not think enough time has passed for that to be feasible.  

Dawn of Defiance takes place between episodes 3 and 4, in the rise of the empire era.  The default time period for FFG Star Wars is right after that, with it being set not long before episode 4.  I'm not sure how long the period of time would be from the conclusion of Dawn of Defiance to the time of FFG Star Wars.  So there would not have been enough time for my original character to have had a son and for him to get to around 18 or 19 years of age it seems.  I don't think my original character would have broken the jedi code and had a love relationship with a child to show for it during the time the jedi were still around hadn't fallen yet.

Do you all have any ideas how I can reconcile this or creative ways I can work this angle somewhat but tweaked to where it would make sense?

Maybe the jedi adopted a force sensitive street orphan & raised/trained him in secret? I'm thinking Dawn of Defiance would be set some time before Rebels in the continuity... maybe 7-10 years BBY.

Did your GM give any dates for the game? The whole campaign could reasonably take place in the space of a year or two...I know there is a point in the middle somewhere were the game assumes that a significant amount of time has passed, but IIRC the actual length of the interlude was left up to the GM.

Since the game kicks off in the wake of the Clone Wars, you could easily have a PC offspring in his late teens, at least.

Since the game kicks off in the wake of the Clone Wars, you could easily have a PC offspring in his late teens, at least.

I agree. If Dawn of Defiance happened in the first year after the fall of the Republic, and Episode IV takes place 19 years after Episode III, then a son could reach the age of majority in that time. 

-Nate

Yeah, I don't think Dawn of Defiance ever had a set time frame as to when it occurred, just the nebulous "between Episode III and Episode IV."

There's no Imperial-class Star Destroyers (that I can remember), but you do have TIE Fighters and Vindicator-class Star Destroyers, so it's certainly some number of years post-RotS.

In the end, I'd say use whatever works best for your story.  Star Wars itself hasn't been afraid to retcon the internal timeline a bit if necessary, so feel free to do the same in regards to having this one NPC by the child of your old character.  So if your new campaign is starting around the same year as ANH, then perhaps the Dawn of Defiance campaign took place a year after RotS, enabling this NPC to be 18.

Of course, what you could also do is simply lower the NPC's age by a couple years, making them 16 instead of 18.  While in the U.S. one doesn't legally become an adult (can vote, get a full driver's license) until they turn 18, that doesn't have to hold entirely true in Star Wars, so it's entirely possible to have this NPC be in their late teens but legally considered an adult and thus able to operate without requiring any sort of adult supervision.

...so it's entirely possible to have this NPC be in their late teens but legally considered an adult and thus able to operate without requiring any sort of adult supervision.

...if only there was some example, somewhere, of an underaged, orphaned, teenaged adventurer in Star Wars between Episodes III and IV. Especially one that trained as a Jedi, or fell in with the fledgling Rebellion. It'd be cool if he was modeled after Disney's Aladdin, you know, the street rat with a heart of gold. Diamond in the rough, and all that. 

But I can't think of anybody like that.