Sign in to follow this  
Wildhorn

The 3 Scouts

I have been quite worried about the bumpmaster variant of this list as a Palp-aces player, and finally got to play against it the other day. I wasn't all that impressed with it to be honest. I was largely able to avoid the bumpmaster for two consecutive games, and I found that I now only need to account for two arcs.

In the first game, I was running Echo, Omega Leader and a Yorr/Palpatine shuttle. It was quite easy to avoid the bumpmaster with Echo, and I didn't allow a single torpedo to be fired all game(there was an opportunity to fire a proton torp at OL, but my opponent opted not to because of OL's ability). We discussed it afterward and he still would make that decision, but I would not. The only way to get damage through on OL is through focus fire or throwing lots of dice and hoping for a good roll. Edit: or by using the bumpmaster!

In the second game, my opponent wanted to play against the new standard Palp-aces list: Palp shuttle, OL, Inquisitor, and Wampa. This one was much closer, but I still managed to avoid the bumpmaster for the first half of the game. He eventually got OL a few times to kill it, but by this time I had already erased the proton torp carrier and was one hull away from erasing the plasma carrier (both plasmas were fired this game, but no protons I believe). The Inquisitor had an easy clean up job on the bumpmaster.

I am definitely more worried about the standard triple torpedo U-Boats than the bumpmaster variant as an imperial player. I know others disagree with me, but I feel more threatened by the extra torpedoes.

I'm curious what sort of approach and asteroid setup you used. Did you try to leave things fairly open or make a cluster in the center they had to go around?

I'm curious what sort of approach and asteroid setup you used. Did you try to leave things fairly open or make a cluster in the center they had to go around?
Game 1:

It was mostly clustered in the middle. Opponent spread deployment in opposite corners. Proton torp on its own, plasma and bumpmaster in the opposite corner. I set up on the same side as the proton torp so that the other two had to come through the rocks or take the long way around.

Sent OL one on one against the proton torp carrier, while Echo danced around, pulling the bumpmaster away from OL, but being careful to stay always out of reach, while maintaining shots. I'm a firm believer that Echo is the only standard arc pilot in the game that can accomplish this.

Game 2:

Similar central cluster, and similar deployment. This time I sent everyone after the proton carrier immediately. It allowed the plasma carrier to go attack my shuttle, which wasn't ideal for me. I'd love to see plasmas wasted on my aces. Wampa died first round of combat, and eventually the bumpmaster was able to get OL. The Inquisitor did very good work in this game.

Edited by Criwi Romed

Hmm, interesting! In my few matchups I've seen them all start together which makes me want to cluster rocks in the middle towards their side and then try to either run through places they won't fit or catch them right as they come around, but not sure how it'll all work yet. I'm thinking using the PS2 shuttle to block might help a little? At any rate, he'll have the reinforced deflectors and will be going with Whisper and Omega Leader. Kind of scared though.

The rocks are definitely key! Drag them through as much as you can. I think the deflectors are a good idea for the shuttle, and blocking one of them, then staying stuck there can allow you to maintain shots on another for a bit longer (until it dies!). That's not a bad plan at all. It will certainly take lots of practice, as I found out the first time I faced the wolves!

...Because if you're playing 200 points you can have 2/4 Brobots (assuming your partner has two more!) to go with three Scouts, with enough left over for a decent Guri or cheap YV-666?

I mean, yeah, a strike wing of Scouts is a fine notion, but with Epic you're not limited to a one-note tactic.

So. Imperials have no shortage of options for fighting both against Rebel and Scum lists, and Scum have various U-boat builds, but what does Rebels have that does the job against those other two options?

I've only had one match with it so far, against a Rebel build, but the deflectors were clutch. I recovered 3 shields, and it could really help delay crits getting through on the shuttle against 4 hit torpedo shots. It looks like the timing also happens after plasmas, so because the plasma player is active first it would check for remaining shields, not do a damage if they're gone, and then the shuttle would regenerate one. 

For the rebels, I think the ghost is a sleeper that can be built to handle both imperial aces, as well as U-Boats. It needs engine to sneak into range one of the boats, ABT for aces, I would go FCS over AC. Choose pilot based on play style, and based on support. I think it's a mistake to dock an attack shuttle though. I'm not sure you get the points out of it if it's too expensive, but if you just throw in a naked Zeb phantom, it's useless in the end game.

I've only had one match with it so far, against a Rebel build, but the deflectors were clutch. I recovered 3 shields, and it could really help delay crits getting through on the shuttle against 4 hit torpedo shots. It looks like the timing also happens after plasmas, so because the plasma player is active first it would check for remaining shields, not do a damage if they're gone, and then the shuttle would regenerate one.

It depends upon who has initiative. So the Plasma torpedo player can just hand the Ghost player initiative to make him regen the shield and immediately take it away. :D

CS with Proton Torpedoes, EM, Deadeye, Chips, R4 Agromech, Boba Crew

2x CS with Plasmas, EM, Deadeye, Chips, Overclocked R4

99 points.