Sign in to follow this  
Wildhorn

The 3 Scouts

Also, you can't do a 4K when you deploy the Phantom. The way deploy works is that you select a maneuver on your dial, then use that template, BUT you put the REAR guides of the ship into the template. So basically, you only choose a maneuver to select a template, you do not actually perform the exact maneuver.

We got an email clarification for that one: you can do a 4K while undocking (or any K-Turn/Sloop coming out of the Gonzati). The RRG uses the same wording of "rear guides", but in both cases the wording on the K-Turn/Sloop supercedes it and instructs you to insert the front guides. RAW (but from multiple entries in the RRG) and RAI you can K-Turn out of docking.

Ok good, so my mate did everything right :)

So I played against the triple scout again a few more times and against a variety of people and it honestly isn't as scary as people make it out to be.

When they don't have a focus action/have you in arc/outside of range 1 they are three TIE Fighters that really struggle to sink damage through. Additionally, this happens, a lot:

BUMPMASTER 5k uses deadeye to activate Proton Torps, triggers R4 Agro for a target lock. Rolls crit, hit, focus, blank. Uses Proton to convert the focus to a crit and then guidance chips the blank to hit. Player then smirks at the seriously amount of cheddar he just threw down the table. So, Crit, Crit, Hit, Hit at range 3.

The Inquistor rolls: Evade, blank, blank.

Imperial player activates autothrusters for range 3, spends the evade token and then uses Palpatine to convert a blank into an evade. Total of four evades.

The cheese just got grated.

Next turn the BUMP player managed to get all three in arc of The Inquis and Omega Leader. Palp and Wamba are there but out of arc. However one is at range one of both the ships whilst the other two are range 2 and 3 respectively.

Quis and Omega fire at the range 1 JM5K as the range 3 one is obstructed. Scum player takes a pounding and suffers five damage, refusing to spend his focus token knowing that without it, his dice won't be enough. Wamba manages to luckily roll a crit and sinks a face down card through.

Range 1 JM5K fires and only manages two hits which gets evaded by Inquisy due to a lucky roll. Range 2 fires torps at Quisy, same combo as before for four hits. Quisy rolls evade, evade, blank .Spends the evade token and loses a shield. Range 3 5K fires at Quisy as well, same again, 4 hits. This time Quisy rolls evade, focus, blank, blank. (obstructed). Autothrusters kicks in as does palp. He spends his focus token and avoids all damage.

So two turns, three torp shots and only managed a single shield whilst in return they have a ship on half health and now in really bad positions for any more torp shots.

Not so scary when you break it down like that. Unfortunately, the JM DO run out of missiles or chances to use them. Once that gap is closed the bumps begin and the 2k sloop gets REALLY obvious and easy to block. I can't tell you how many times I have had a JM5k desperate to get arc and having to fire its two dice primary at a three agility/focus/evade/autothruster ship. It is the epitome of an up hill battle.

On the other hand though, I have also seen two JM5K clear out a Y wing a turn when facing Quad TLT. I have seen three remove Bossk from the table in a single turn and I have also seen them blow away Dash in a single turn.

So I played against the triple scout again a few more times and against a variety of people and it honestly isn't as scary as people make it out to be.

When they don't have a focus action/have you in arc/outside of range 1 they are three TIE Fighters that really struggle to sink damage through. Additionally, this happens, a lot:

BUMPMASTER 5k uses deadeye to activate Proton Torps, triggers R4 Agro for a target lock. Rolls crit, hit, focus, blank. Uses Proton to convert the focus to a crit and then guidance chips the blank to hit. Player then smirks at the seriously amount of cheddar he just threw down the table. So, Crit, Crit, Hit, Hit at range 3.

Imperial player activates autothrusters for range 3, spends the evade token and then uses Palpatine to convert a blank into an evade. Total of four evades.

Next turn the BUMP player managed to get all three in arc of The Inquis and Omega Leader. Palp and Wamba are there but out of arc. However one is at range one of both the ships whilst the other two are range 2 and 3 respectively.

Quis and Omega fire at the range 1 JM5K as the range 3 one is obstructed. Scum player takes a pounding and suffers five damage, refusing to spend his focus token knowing that without it, his dice won't be enough. Wamba manages to luckily roll a crit and sinks a face down card through.

Range 1 JM5K fires and only manages two hits which gets evaded by Inquisy due to a lucky roll. Range 2 fires torps at Quisy, same combo as before for four hits. Quisy rolls evade, evade, blank .Spends the evade token and loses a shield. Range 3 5K fires at Quisy as well, same again, 4 hits. This time Quisy rolls evade, focus, blank, blank. (obstructed). Autothrusters kicks in as does palp. He spends his focus token and avoids all damage.

So two turns, three torp shots and only managed a single shield whilst in return they have a ship on half health and now in really bad positions for any more torp shots.

Not so scary when you break it down like that. Unfortunately, the JM DO run out of missiles or chances to use them. Once that gap is closed the bumps begin and the 2k sloop gets REALLY obvious and easy to block. I can't tell you how many times I have had a JM5k desperate to get arc and having to fire its two dice primary at a three agility/focus/evade/autothruster ship. It is the epitome of an up hill battle.

On the other hand though, I have also seen two JM5K clear out a Y wing a turn when facing Quad TLT. I have seen three remove Bossk from the table in a single turn and I have also seen them blow away Dash in a single turn.

This is nice example but it is very list specific. I don't like jumpys because my rebel lists can't avoid certain doom in the way you just described. My ships woukd be space dust

This is nice example but it is very list specific. I don't like jumpys because my rebel lists can't avoid certain doom in the way you just described. My ships woukd be space dust

A friend of mine managed to beat them comfortably by ramming them with Chopper/Zeb and Miranda. Chopper had AC/Autoblaster, Recon Spec and Jan Ors I think.

Basically just rams into one, hurls 4 to 5 dice at the other one which on a good roll will burn the focus token and then just absorb the four dice from the third. Miranda deals a nice consistent two damage to what either the Ghost was going to shoot at.

Next turn, rinse and repeat. If you ever find yourself at range one of something, you roll the autoblaster and then roll it again in the end phase. Even JM5k don't like four auto hits plus another two from Miranda.

Its a lovely battle of attrition. :)

It's still scary because it requires you to be exceedingly careful with how you fly. Of course, you should be anyways, but a single mistake can absolutely cost you the game, which is something Palp Aces, for example, can generally recover from (oh, did you mis-manage your actions, Vader? Don't worry, Palpy's got your back!).

But, yeah, Palp Aces is a good example of a list that isn't especially weak to the Trip Scouts.

... But do we really want to see more Palp Aces?

(I don't mind, of course, because I like Acewing vs. Acewing, but I know enough folks complain about Palp Aces as is.)

I played a couple of games now with the evolved list including a bumpmaster and I must say I'm rather disappointed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it I missed the 2 Torpedos from the 3rd JM5K

The only TRUE bumpmaster is Manaroo

By reading this, I can only say: The player using the jumpmaster is very inexperimented. Everybody knows that you do not try to shoot at an Ace when Palpatine is still alive.

Palpatine is the first target to be taken down. While the 2 U-Boats take it down, the Bumpmaster annoyes the Ace and try to get him bumped or be in R1. If this happens, the Ace will either get hit by APL and/or Feedback Array.

Edited by Wildhorn

I played a couple of games now with the evolved list including a bumpmaster and I must say I'm rather disappointed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it I missed the 2 Torpedos from the 3rd JM5K

The only TRUE bumpmaster is Manaroo

Manaroo is more of a mastermind than a bumpmaster, though she's equally capable as the later

she's there to oversee the operation and make sure the job gets done while the other scouts are busy bumbling around

12938272_10156683401365142_3277547282694

good thing too, because without her there'd be a whole lot of unused torps :P

Intimidation Scout also serves as a true bumpmaster

Edited by ficklegreendice

I'm not very impressed with the bumping variation of the list. I feel like you lose a large benefit of the list in being more capable of taking out a ship in the first round, for a little bit more utility. Even if you do have 3 JM5Ks loaded up, you can still block effectively. They are so large and take up so much real estate, I don't feel like intel agent is a huge benefit, and APL or ion proj are so inconsistent, I'd rather just throw more effective torps out.

Wtf why in the world would the jump master player spend the first two rounds trying to kill the inqusitor (or fel) ar range 3 with auto thruster and palp. Those are the worst possible targets. Shoot anyone else preferably chase down the shuttle and kill the emp. You can shoot 4 atk dice modified at those targets all day and still lose that match. It sounds like your opponent played exactly to your game plan

I'm not very impressed with the bumping variation of the list. I feel like you lose a large benefit of the list in being more capable of taking out a ship in the first round, for a little bit more utility. Even if you do have 3 JM5Ks loaded up, you can still block effectively. They are so large and take up so much real estate, I don't feel like intel agent is a huge benefit, and APL or ion proj are so inconsistent, I'd rather just throw more effective torps out.

Intel is huge (when you remember it) because you have 3 large base b-rolls at the same pilot skill

not only can you b-roll into blocks, you can block yourself so long as it leaves you in a position to block the opponent.

agreed about the 50/50 mods; too much dice. Feedback is a far better, more reliable use of points, and the points saved on APL can go to the sexy new 1 point crew on the torp boats

Intel is huge (when you remember it) because you have 3 large base b-rolls at the same pilot skill

not only can you b-roll into blocks, you can block yourself so long as it leaves you in a position to block the opponent.

agreed about the 50/50 mods; too much dice. Feedback is a far better, more reliable use of points, and the points saved on APL can go to the sexy new 1 point crew on the torp boats

I understand how intel is used, but I just feel like if I am throwing 3 large base ships with barrel roll on the table anyways, it really shouldn't be THAT hard to block something I really want to block. And it's not so much that I think Intel is bad as much as I think going all in on a blocker doesn't benefit the list as much as a 3rd torp boat. But this could just be pilot preference.

Feedback array is a decent option and I think I also prefer that over APL. I guess where APL gets decent is in combo with Feedback, as you have the possibility of 2 unavoidable damage with a single block, but still not sure I would spend the points there.

Wtf why in the world would the jump master player spend the first two rounds trying to kill the inqusitor (or fel) ar range 3 with auto thruster and palp. Those are the worst possible targets. Shoot anyone else preferably chase down the shuttle and kill the emp. You can shoot 4 atk dice modified at those targets all day and still lose that match. It sounds like your opponent played exactly to your game plan

Simple - the Emperor will help you only once, and their token will only last forever. Fire 3 torpedoes into him and he can completely evade only the first one and will eat at least one hit from no. 2 and 3 each. Going after the shuttle is playing into the aces player hand.

Simple - the Emperor will help you only once, and their token will only last forever. Fire 3 torpedoes into him and he can completely evade only the first one and will eat at least one hit from no. 2 and 3 each. Going after the shuttle is playing into the aces player hand.

This. ESPECIALLY since my shuttle is rocking a sensor jammer, and you've (likely) spent your focus to use the ordinance.

Admittedly, I fared TERRIBLY in my first match, but that was due to mistakes mostly made during setup (did not split my forces, gave the quality scout player a perfect line-up) -- I'd be more than happy to offer the shuttle as bait for all three scouts, while the Aces swing in from behind/flank.

Everytime I see someone go after the shuttle 1st forget it they already lost to that list.  Vader, or Soontir then the shuttle.

I think the saving grace that stops the triple U-boat list being truly broken is they can't take RecSpecs as well. 

RecSpecs are amazing on jumpmasters. They are great for torpedoes, for mitigating damage, just 3 points well spent and magnify the effect of the ships. That's why I think we're going to see a shift to either two torpedo boats and a bumpmaster or just two torpedo boats and something else. My favourite right now is N'Dru with clusters to load up more alpha strike. 

This. ESPECIALLY since my shuttle is rocking a sensor jammer, and you've (likely) spent your focus to use the ordinance.

Admittedly, I fared TERRIBLY in my first match, but that was due to mistakes mostly made during setup (did not split my forces, gave the quality scout player a perfect line-up) -- I'd be more than happy to offer the shuttle as bait for all three scouts, while the Aces swing in from behind/flank.

Thanks to turn a hit into a eye, so my Proton Torpedoes can turn it into a crit :)

That's why I think we're going to see a shift to either two torpedo boats and a bumpmaster or just two torpedo boats and something else. My favourite right now is N'Dru with clusters to load up more alpha strike. 

Yeah, the 3 Plasma UBoats have some weakness. Shifting to 2 Proton UBoats with something else is really the key. You might lose some alpha-strike, but usually, the 3rd ship will bring a tons of utility to deal with the counters of 3 UBoats.

Will the real BumpMaster please stand up? That's a torpedo boat masquerading as a BumpMaster, and it's not even doing an effective job at it.

Scenario:

Inquisitor, Omega Leader, Wampa, Palpmobile 

vs

Scout + deadeye + GC + EM + Proton Torp + R4 + Boba Fett

Scout + deadeye + GC + EM + Plasma Torp + OCR4

Scout + Intimidation + Intel Agent + Anti-Pursuit Lasers + Feedback Array

First round of shots fired:

1. BumpMaster zooms forward, and barrel rolls to get in position to block Omega Leader.
  2. Torpedo boats slide in behind the BumpMaster.
  3. TIEs move. Wampa evades. Omega Leader Bumps and takes a damage from APL. Inquisitor flanks from the side and TL/F/E.
  4. Inquisitor shoots and rolls 2 damage onto OCR4, who evades it with evade + eyeball. OCR4 spends focus, gains it back via stress.
  5. Omega Leader's 2 dice primary at range 2 do nothing.
  6. Wampa does nothing.
  7. Plasma Torp boat gains a 2nd stress to fire 4 dice plasma at range 2 w/ focus on Omega. 4 hits. Omega rolls 2 dice (Intimidation) and gets two non-evades. Palp changes one to an evade, spends token, Omega takes 2 damage and has 1 hull left.
  8. Proton boat one-shots Wampa.
  9. BumpMaster uses Feedback Array to kill Omega Leader.

The rest of the game is spent blocking the Inquisitor who has nowhere to go, and has a visible dial every turn.

That's how you fly the BumpMaster.

[edit] This was my round 5 game (4-0 vs 4-0) at last weekend's 36 player store championship.

Edited by MajorJuggler

[edit] This was my round 5 game (4-0 vs 4-0) at last weekend's 36 player store championship.

I don't understand why they just let that happen to themselves. I'm sure you flew well but it sounds like they flew like a paper bag or just couldn't puzzle out the (fairly obvious) point of your list. If there's 1 big ship on the enemy side and it has a barrel roll and is clearly purpose built for blocking and messing a blocked nerd up I think the only ship you want to think about touching that with is the shuttle. Aces should split up a bit then let the shuttle lead off and bump/tank the alpha while they come in from various obtuse angles. Allowing the gameplan of 'block 1, blow up that and another ace' to go that smoothly seems like a large error unless you've greatly simplified how hard you worked to trap and bump him.

I don't understand why they just let that happen to themselves. I'm sure you flew well but it sounds like they flew like a paper bag or just couldn't puzzle out the (fairly obvious) point of your list. If there's 1 big ship on the enemy side and it has a barrel roll and is clearly purpose built for blocking and messing a blocked nerd up I think the only ship you want to think about touching that with is the shuttle. Aces should split up a bit then let the shuttle lead off and bump/tank the alpha while they come in from various obtuse angles. Allowing the gameplan of 'block 1, blow up that and another ace' to go that smoothly seems like a large error unless you've greatly simplified how hard you worked to trap and bump him.

I found myself wondering why it was 100 points to 71 and what in the world the shuttle was doing during all this! ;)