Sign in to follow this  
kelpie

Advice for some conflict prop

Hi everyone

i know that's a noob question :)

however i could have underestimated conflict...

i'm running a mini campaign, focused on Operation Shadowpoint adventure with some other adventure (Perlemian Haul and Dead in Water) inserted as "big event seed".

In the group there are a Jedi, and even if we are playing AoR i allowed him to play a Jedi Guardian. Of course i used Morality (in addiction to Duty).

I'm a long time GM from WEG and even if a little rusty (we're not playing since a couple of years ago) i got some experience in putting Jedi "bad situation" and also push them in making critical decision. However, WEG and FaD handle in a very different way dark side; where the former is more a "punish PC if they do something wrong" the latter is more a "put PC in situation where they need to choose between easy way and Jedi way". Also, morality strenght/weakness could be used in play

We played just a couple of session, and one was more an introductive one. However, Jedi earned one or two conflict point per session and now he's more than 60 Morality, so i suppose i need to stop thinkin with my "WEG's mind" and start putting them in situation where he need to get more conflict

i know i should not be concerned about "not getting enough ideas" and "how can i do this thing with this system", 'cause i played for just 2 session and i need to be more confident i will learn how to use the system with just more experience. However, i feel like i'm not giving him the right mood, and don't give him the sensation "being Jedi is an hard but rewarding way of playing"

so... did you get some ideas i can borrow to get him more conflict than the couple he gather from black point while rolling force dice?

i got some ones, like seeing Imperials (or someone else) hitting on an innocent bystander; he could not ignore them even if this will make mission more difficult.

Did you have some other ideas?

I tend to run conflict in a couple of different ways that my players have bought into really well:

• Situations on the "street" like you mentioned.  Seeing bad things happening and choosing not to act to stop them, either because of time or wanting to keep a low profile, etc.  That usually gets them 1-3 conflict depending on the severity of the situation,
  • Using dark side force points, obviously.
  • Being in a situation that causes them to become emotionally conflicted such as looting bodies, using coercion, using further violent actions against enemies that are attempting to leave the fight.
  • Anytime they play into their emotional weakness.  I have a player whose strength is Bravery and weakness is Coldness.  He spotted a man being beaten on the street while the rest of the party was exchanging information for the upcoming mission.  Without saying a word to the rest of the group he took off to go deal with the situation.  He was being brave, but to the point that he was acting on his own and not even allowing his companions to help him, which gave him conflict.

Some of these may seem restrictive, but me and my players agree that there isn't a relative nature to the force.  If you instill fear in another creature intentionally (Coercion) then you are dipping into the dark side.  If you let someone suffer, even if it is for good reasons, you are allowing the dark side to grow.  It both allows and forces them to become creative in how they deal with situations without gaining conflict, while at the same time giving them plenty of opportunities to take the "easier path" and gain conflict. 

I like putting in those situtions where they have the choice of save a villain or letting them die; ie. villian is hanging to a cable over the edge of a bottomless pit, Do you let them slip and fall to their death or do you save them?

Give situtions where innocent bystanders are in danger from falling debris and its with in their power to save them.

Have a NPC goat them on hoping to provoke a fight.

Interrogating a prisoner who insists on not revealing the whereabouts or information that will lead to the death of innocents, torture never sounded so good.

Fear leads to Anger... pg 328 in F&D. Use fear more often, in proper situations of course, and let that difficulty do the work for you. A scary visit from an Inquisitor is worth a nice Fear roll or a brush with Vader.

Also look at the conflict table in the GM section. Print it out. Pay attention to what the character is doing.. did they lie for personal gain? Conflict. Did they knowingly not act when the other players were doing something shady? Conflict. 

And as noted above tough choices... use them. 

Small tests, like "your walking deep into a forest and find a hidden supply cache, but it looks like someone uses it. Do you take something? Everything?" Slowly you up the ante, as the example will give them only 1-3 conflict...

Also look at the conflict table in the GM section. Print it out. Pay attention to what the character is doing.

This is probably the single best piece of advice to any GM that employs the Morality/Conflict system.

For my FaD campaign that's run through Skype, I have an image of the Conflict table up and easily viewed at all times.  I also do the same with any Force user PCs that I'm playing, and frequently will assign my own character Conflict for when they step out of line or opt to do what is easy as opposed to doing what is right.