Sign in to follow this  
Funk Fu master

A method for enhancing the Neb B - Inspired by the FA X-Wing

So in X-Wing,  the FA T-70 X-Wing comes with an upgrade that says X-Wing Only. Which allows both the original and the T-70 to use it. MkII Ion engines do the same for TIE ships. Not specifying an individual ship, but a class, or design base.

The same could be done for the Neb. They could release another Nebulon series of ship, such as the B2, D or K, which could come with some Nebulon only upgrades.

Such as, oh, I don't know

Reinforced Lateral Projectors

Modification

Nebulon Only

Increase the shield rating of your left and right hull zones by 1

You gain a redirect defence token

Modular Weapons Bay

Nebulon Only

Your upgrade bar gains the (offensive retrofit)

Enhanced Operations Centre

Nebulon Only

Your upgrade bar gains the (weapons team)

Man that would be awesome. The shield an redirect would turn the Neb into a point efficient power house though! They would have to be priced correctly (expensively) but i really like the idea of specific ship only modifications!

The Nebulon with titles is ridiculous. I'll argue that it is the core ship that has the most potential to stick around for several waves of meta owing to its powerful titles.

The CR90a is a close second but will be immediately dropped if a similar cheap long range standoff light cruiser is added for Rebels. The Nebulon has really powerful abilities that are amplified to absurd levels with its upgrade selection.

So it would be great to allow the Nebulon to ignore everything that makes it a Nebulon?

Trolling aside, I think if they did do this (actually I see them doing this as a whole new expansion pack with an alternate paint scheme etc), I think it would be with an entirely new ship card (Nebulon B2ER or something) and with a complete swap out of the upgrade slots. The same could apply to the Victory class.

But a Neb B with access to weapon teams or offensive retrofits would be a serious force. Boosted comms and gunnery teams would be obvious easy picks for it.

So it would be great to allow the Nebulon to ignore everything that makes it a Nebulon?

Trolling aside, I think if they did do this (actually I see them doing this as a whole new expansion pack with an alternate paint scheme etc), I think it would be with an entirely new ship card (Nebulon B2ER or something) and with a complete swap out of the upgrade slots. The same could apply to the Victory class.

But a Neb B with access to weapon teams or offensive retrofits would be a serious force. Boosted comms and gunnery teams would be obvious easy picks for it.

Taking the lore as inspiration, we know that Nebulons were used by both sides and in a wide variety of roles. I think that this would be precisely to reflect what makes a Nebulon a Nebulon.

This would be great, if they introduced an Imperial Nebulon, which is something I'd be more than happy to see. We know both sides used them (in fact, most Rebel Nebulons were stolen from the Imperials), so this would add an interesting element of commonality between the two. Ship-specific upgrades would then make sense - both sides could take advantage.

Another option would be to balance it out with ship-specific upgrades for a pre-existing Imperial. This wouldn't be out of the question, and the Victory would lend itself to this style of modding, being the most widely used ship in the Imperial fleet. Something along these lines:

Carrier overhaul
Modification
Victory Only
The battery armament of each hullzone is reduced by one red dice.
In exchange, you squadron value is increased by two, and your anti-squadron armament is increased by one blue dice.

Hoersch-Kessel Drive Engine upgrade
Modification
Victory Only
Your maximum speed is increased to three.
At this speed, you have the following yaw values:
[ | ]
[ | ]
[ - ]

However, awesome as this would be, I think it unlikely, given that we already have titles for ships that do effectively the same thing.
Edited by ceejlekabeejle

Neb Bs are 2 attack kills when shot at with any average attack roll from a SD it could be 1 attack. 

It only has 6 points of damage getting in to make it go away.

2 braces are nice but with no redirect it dies quickly, and its flanks are very hard to keep out of line of fire

I stand by my initial statements on the matter...

A Nebulon-B with access to an Offensive Retrofit slot is borderline broken as a carrier with Yavaris.

Personally, I think if you're going to have these upgrades - then they have to be in lieu of a Title - because they Synergise in all the right ways to make them fantastic - which I don't believe is what is really wanted...

I've never understood the griping about the Nebulon-B. It's a very cost-effective ship and offensively the Salvation and Yavaris titles in particular are extremely good (Redemption can be defensively good too but requires building around the ability as much as possible). The only downside is Rebels don't otherwise have ships that want to form a gunline with their front arcs (CR90s have superior front arcs, but they're bad choices as ships of the line and should be used as skirmishers). I'm sure over time that will change.

Nebulons are hard to fly, but otherwise are fantastic ships. Salvation and Yavaris are wonderful titles. The upgrades you recommend would make them broken in the hands of players that already know how to fly them. Just imagine Yavaris with Raymus, Flight Controllers, and Boosted Comms.

Edited by Truthiness

I stand by my initial statements on the matter...

A Nebulon-B with access to an Offensive Retrofit slot is borderline broken as a carrier with Yavaris.

Personally, I think if you're going to have these upgrades - then they have to be in lieu of a Title - because they Synergise in all the right ways to make them fantastic - which I don't believe is what is really wanted...

Yeah, this would be silly. Access to EHB and FC on Yavaris means you're double-tapping four (Raymus) A-wings at 4 dice each, or X-wings at 5. Or, hell, why take anything but B-wings if they're gonna throw 8x4 dice anti-squadron anyway? On top of which, you'd be looking at Yavaris+B-wings 1-shotting anything smaller than a Motti ISD.

And Salvation with Gunnery Teams? Seriously? That would be as broken as putting four black dice in one arc on a ship and giving it the ability to shoot after moving or something.

Neb Bs are 2 attack kills when shot at with any average attack roll from a SD it could be 1 attack.

So is any other ship that costs 51/57 points. In fact, neither the Raider nor the CR90 is remotely as survivable against few big shots like that as the Neb, even into the side arc. Even if it weren't, are you seriously complaining that a 120-point ship can 2-shot a poorly flown 57-point one?

Some of you guys seriously need to learn to normalize your comparisons to point cost, not to number of ships.

Edited by Ardaedhel

"It could be one" means a Minimum of 6 Damage being Dealt...  Which means a Fresh shot into the Side Arc, and one of the following outcomes:

You Deal 14+ Damage in one long/medium Range salvo, have 2 Damage Evaded Away, and then Braced Down to 6.

You Deal 12+ Damage and are able to get a Single ACC to Remove the Evade.

You Deal 8+ Damage and are able to get Two ACCs to Remove Both Braces, but Lump the Evade.

I'm sorry, but all of those are in the Possible but unlikely Category.

Add 2 to all of those numbers if you're dealing with its Front Arc, and not an Exposed Side.

To all those saying that these ideas would be broken. Thats why I didn't put a points cost on them. I am not a play tester. If you want these abilities, there will be a cost to them, that should be slightly inefficent to represent that these are a refit, which costs more than intergrating into initial design

Nebulons are hard to fly, but otherwise are fantastic ships. Salvation and Yavaris are wonderful titles. The upgrades you recommend would make them broken in the hands of players that already know how to fly them. Just imagine Yavaris with Raymus, Flight Controllers, and Boosted Comms.

Well...time for new pants...

To all those saying that these ideas would be broken. Thats why I didn't put a points cost on them. I am not a play tester. If you want these abilities, there will be a cost to them, that should be slightly inefficent to represent that these are a refit, which costs more than intergrating into initial design

Well, you mentioned these upgrades in the same breath as the T-65 compared to the T-70. That comparison evokes two things. First, that you think the Nebulon-B is subpar enough to need special help. Second, that help should come at a low cost. After all, that's what the T-70 upgrades did for the T-65. Now if that was not your intention, my apologies. There are some of us that love the hell out of the Nebulon-B as it is. It is a wonderful ship, but it is woefully under appreciated because of how hard it is to use properly. Because of that, we can be protective of the little bugger.

Edited by Truthiness