Dual Card: S-Foil Position 

1 Point

Locked:

Treat all banks as green

Action: Flip This Card Over

Attack Position:

Treat all range two attacks as if they were at range 1

Action: Flip this Card Over

This would give the X-wing insane versatility on the field as well as improve generics

if you make it so you can't take it with integrated it becomes a choice of offense over defense for the x-wing

also the reason i said all banks is because the TIE thrusters turn all banks green and what is more thematic than the x-wing chasing down a tie fighter

edit: this would also make BB8 wedge even better and give a push the limit X way more versatility

Edit 2: The problem would be most fixes for the t-65 also would help the t-70, but I think Sfoils would be more useful on the t-65 personally since autothrusters are still king

Edit 3 (last one i swear): or maybe locked can allow you to treat all 2 maneuvers as green, idk but i feel like it should help the dial

Dude, this is genius! I seriously hope ffg sees this and includes something like this somehow.

Anyway,

X-Wings could definitely use some help.  Their lack of post-maneuver positioning hurts them, and integrated astromech isn't as much of a boon as many seem to think.

While it's not in the same boat currently as the Defender or non-Corran E-Wings....the fact is this (and it's indisputable) :

The X-Wing is overcosted.  

Combine it's low agility, low survivability, mediocre-at-best dial, and lack of any defensive or repositioning actions...and it's overcosted by at least 2 points.

Now I can (and have) won with X-Wings, even running nothing but X-Wings.  Not recently...as I've been fooling around with scum more often...but they can be powerful.

That said, they still need help to really be competitive.  One unique droid and a modification that makes you lose your astromech for a hull point (which ain't a free upgrade, you're still paying for the astromech) ain't a fix.  It's a band-aid.

Give the X-Wing the ability to either boost or barrel-roll, and do it for free....that'll breathe new life into the old T-65.  

It's been mentioned about how we can add an effect based off the position of the wings. However all ideas replace other effects in the game. All 1-2 maneuvers/banks are green? This is astro mech and Mk II. Add boost or barrel role? This is the T-70. And how do you add these effects to the xwing? Just doesn't fit the theme of a title, needs to be a ship upgrade. This however replace integrated astromech. So I've gone about this thinking strictly of a thematic title that works for the T-65 only. I wanted it to be FOR the xwing only but to work WITH any friendly ship. Ive come up with an idea for a double sided xwing title.

My favorite one being red squadron leader/red squadron pilot (or any appropriately named squadron). The leader will have the black dot by its name, allowing only one to be in use. And this title is restricted to named pilots only. It's effect will read something along the line of "all other friendly ships within range one of you may roll an additional attack die when performing a primary weapon attack against a ship that you have a target lock on." This gives the thematic sensation of a leader coordinating his attack with the squad as well as showing the strength of a squad in formation. I can see Biggs with this title, with etahn abot and a swarm of z95s or a wings. This makes the xwing needed in a squad, but benefits all other rebel ships in the squad. But now to add some love to our generic xwing pilots. "At the start of the combat phase, you may assign one focus or evade token to another friendly ship at range 1 who doesn't have an evade or focus token" Or maybe I can just limit it to evade that way they can have a focus as an action and an evade from a friend. This shows the defensive stance of a squad. And again, the xwing gives these abilities, but any other ships may benefit from it.

And these title shall separate the xwing jouster from the bwing. Bwing has more shields and total hp, and we see BBBBZ quite often. With these xwing titles, I feel the xwings will have more tools at their disposal, but will still be squishier then the b swarm. Kill a bwing, you've still got 3bs and a z coming at you. Kill an xwing, you've either removed their attack boost or their defensive action. So the xwing swarm starts off strong, but can take some more devastating blows when losing a member of the squad. Again, adding a thematic feel to flying a squad of xwings.

Came up with this while at work lol

The thing an X Wing does is fly straight at you and punch you in the face. Turning it into an arc dodger isn't a good idea, IMO. Not everything in the game needs to be a turret or an arc dodger.

Instead, I think the best idea is to make it better at face-punching. Giving it an extra red dice at all ranges, or re-rolls, or SOMETHING to make it's attacks more effective would be a good start.

T-65 Xwing Fix

Modification (or title)

Dual Card: S-Foil Position 

1 Point

Locked:

Treat all banks as green

Action: Flip This Card Over

Attack Position:

Treat all range two attacks as if they were at range 1

Action: Flip this Card Over

This would give the X-wing insane versatility on the field as well as improve generics

if you make it so you can't take it with integrated it becomes a choice of offense over defense for the x-wing

also the reason i said all banks is because the TIE thrusters turn all banks green and what is more thematic than the x-wing chasing down a tie fighter

edit: this would also make BB8 wedge even better and give a push the limit X way more versatility

Edit 2: The problem would be most fixes for the t-65 also would help the t-70, but I think Sfoils would be more useful on the t-65 personally since autothrusters are still king

Edit 3 (last one i swear): or maybe locked can allow you to treat all 2 maneuvers as green, idk but i feel like it should help the dial

Dude, this is genius! I seriously hope ffg sees this and includes something like this somehow.

Thank you kindly but I do prefer my second idea

2 Different Idea then

Dual Card Title

T-65 X-Wing Only 1 point (Actually I think it would be better as a 2 point card)

Rogue Squadron

When Attacking treat all Range 2 shots at Range 1

Wraith Squadron

After Acquiring or Spending a target lock you may take a free Barrel Roll action

Dual Card Title

T-65 X-Wing Only  1 point

Full Throttle

After you perform a straight maneuver you may perform a free boost action

Action: Flip this card over

Attack Position

You do not need to discard focus tokens after you spend them

Action: Flip this card over

a little more because it gives the x-wing more in the jousting area

but

(Haven't read the whole thread but did a search and haven't seen these words yet)

Dual Upgrade Card:

Side 1

Linked Fire (or Quad Fire)

When attacking an enemy with agility of 1 or less, roll an additional attack die.

Side 2

Stutter-Fire

When attacking an enemy with agility of 3 or higher, roll an additional attack die.

Cost?

This is my favorite
2 points I would say.

This can make x-wings a monster to deal with and because its a dual card, it makes them a monster for any list

I'd like to see this as an X-Wing (and others) fix:

Charge Mech:

Astromech - 1 pt

Side A:

Action: Receive a weapons disabled token and flip this card over.

Side B:

Increase your primary weapon value by 1.  After attacking, flip this card over.

(Haven't read the whole thread but did a search and haven't seen these words yet)

Dual Upgrade Card:

Side 1

Linked Fire (or Quad Fire)

When attacking an enemy with agility of 1 or less, roll an additional attack die.

Side 2

Stutter-Fire

When attacking an enemy with agility of 3 or higher, roll an additional attack die.

Cost?

This is my favorite
2 points I would say.

This can make x-wings a monster to deal with and because its a dual card, it makes them a monster for any list

I also like this but i wonder if the X-Wing can't get something that allows it to alternate between offense and defense. Maybe like a flat "+1 Primary Weapon strength" on one side vs a "Recover 1 shield at the end of the combat phase" on the other?

Any X-Wing specific cards aren't going to say "T-65 only", because believe it or not.... not every player knows what a T-65 is.   The original X-Wing card doesn't say T-65 on it, and the rules would require it to have that wording, otherwise a title that says T-65 wouldn't be legal on ANY ship.  More likely it would have to say something like "X-Wing Only.   You may not equip this card if your upgrade bar has the BOOST ability" . or something like that. 

Integrated astromech fixed the x-wing.

It did not need something massive.

It wasn't. It does. They are bad. Goodnight.

Tell that to my regional bye.

That's just 'cause you used your secret chemical weapon known as "Taco Bell" :P

I do eat Taco Bell before each tournament. The time I didn't I ended up 19th of 24.

Any X-Wing specific cards aren't going to say "T-65 only", because believe it or not.... not every player knows what a T-65 is.   The original X-Wing card doesn't say T-65 on it, and the rules would require it to have that wording, otherwise a title that says T-65 wouldn't be legal on ANY ship.  More likely it would have to say something like "X-Wing Only.   You may not equip this card if your upgrade bar has the BOOST ability" . or something like that. 

All they have to do is have a title T65 X-Wing only, note in the description what it is for and FAQ it if they feel it is necessary.  It is their game and can make anything they wish legal. The pen in this case is mightier than the sword.

Edited by librarian101

We have to remember at present the dual card effect only seems to take place at the beginning of the game and again seems that it cannot be changed during the game.  so for most of the fixes to really have their full effect there would have to be a change in the mechanics of how and when the card can be used otherwise you just keep the 1 effect for the whole game.  Not saying that is bad, just limiting.

This does complicate matters as text space is going to be at a premium.  I second the idea of restricting using the Boost icon.  That automatically reduces the chances of making somebody (*cough* Wedge *cough*) ridiculous with say PS 11 boost using Engine Upgrade.

All they have to do is have a title T65 X-Wing only, note in the description what it is for and FAQ it if they feel it is necessary.  It is their game and can make anything they wish legal. The pen in this case is mightier than the sword.

Or just write Rebel Alliance only without having to chance a single rule.

The thing an X Wing does is fly straight at you and punch you in the face. Turning it into an arc dodger isn't a good idea, IMO. Not everything in the game needs to be a turret or an arc dodger.

Instead, I think the best idea is to make it better at face-punching. Giving it an extra red dice at all ranges, or re-rolls, or SOMETHING to make it's attacks more effective would be a good start.

Hmm. Maybe a white K-turn? 

(...) Giving it an extra red dice at all ranges,(...)

Talonbane pays 28pts(!) for that at range 1 (of course including cost for PS 9, and +1defense at range 3, but still). Would pretty much invalidate him.

Most of the fixes proposed here would actually invalidate Khiraxzes.

Edited by Managarmr

Integrated astromech fixed the x-wing.

It did not need something massive.

It wasn't. It does. They are bad. Goodnight.

Tell that to my regional bye.

That's just 'cause you used your secret chemical weapon known as "Taco Bell" :P

I do eat Taco Bell before each tournament. The time I didn't I ended up 19th of 24.

And people say superstitions aren't real!

(...) Giving it an extra red dice at all ranges,(...)

Talonbane pays 28pts(!) for that at range 1 (of course including cost for PS 9, and +1defense at range 3, but still). Would pretty much invalidate him.

Most of the fixes proposed here would actually invalidate Khiraxzes.

True, but just because Talonnbane sucks doesn't mean the X Wing needs to suck as well.

Dual Upgrade Card:

Side 1

Linked Fire (or Quad Fire)

Side 2

Stutter-Fire

Cost?

This is probably my favourite so far. And there's room here for tweaks as well, like instead of adding an additional attack die, you could re-roll one, or subtract a green die, etc.

So far my experiences against X-wings have been of the incredible shield regenerating variety.  This has not been particularly fun for me.  I am not sure why the X-wing seems to be so derided here.  Is it because the shield regenerating X-wings is it's only viable use?  They seemed to do well in the local Store Championship taking second, and that by points being it was 1 of 2 undefeated lists.

Yeah, it seems crazy powerful, I have to pay ~30 points for Jan Ors to get that extra die for Wedge ;)

But you get that die against everything and do not need to decide during setup against whom you want that extra die, on top of that it does intentional not cover agility 2 enemies, and unlike Jan Ors this would only apply to X-Wings and do not come with a a  8 1 2 4 1 ship with a crew slot an elite and a turret. 

In other words you pay for the ability on Jan Ors more like ~3 points and not ~30 points. And buffing T-65 was the whole idea. Doing it with a dual-card which can be used during setup is even more brilliant. 

Point costs for the upgrade? Kind of depends on which slot. As some form of title probably something, if it gets implemented as modifications with Rebel Alliance and X-Wing only probably zero.  

S foils.could be done easily as a mod without the need for a dual card. Just make it a 0 point mod for x wings. "X wing or b wing only. After you resolve a maneuver you may make a free boost or barrel roll action. Then place a weapon disabled token on the ship."

Yeah, it seems crazy powerful, I have to pay ~30 points for Jan Ors to get that extra die for Wedge ;)

But you get that die against everything and do not need to decide during setup against whom you want that extra die, on top of that it does intentional not cover agility 2 enemies, and unlike Jan Ors this would only apply to X-Wings and do not come with a a  8 1 2 4 1 ship with a crew slot an elite and a turret. 

In other words you pay for the ability on Jan Ors more like ~3 points and not ~30 points. And buffing T-65 was the whole idea. Doing it with a dual-card which can be used during setup is even more brilliant. 

Point costs for the upgrade? Kind of depends on which slot. As some form of title probably something, if it gets implemented as modifications with Rebel Alliance and X-Wing only probably zero.

Finding a slot might be tough. Doesn't fit the idea of a title and making it a mod is not ideal.