Sign in to follow this  
neosmagus

Campaign hidden information

I generally brief the rebels on all the information on the first section...  but in many cases they've actually preferred to not be told time limits as it gives them an air of suspense in the mission.   They've found that usually the flavour text already gives hints that you need to be quick or not...

My query extends more to the various events and triggers...

We played the one mission, and there was the section that states "End of each round choose one of the following" with a bunch of options, like doors opening or closing, troopers getting an attack, or the Royal Guard Champion being able to move/attack...  it came with a threat cost.  I can't remember the mission name now.

After I used those abilities a couple times, around about round 3 or 4, the players called foul and said I'd never included these items in the briefing, and that I was abusing the rules.   I stated that these were hidden information, end of round triggers that I gained, just like any other event in a mission...   but they didn't seem to be happy with that.

Did I play that right, keeping it secret and surprising them with it?  Or should I have given warning?   If I trigger an option, do I state what all the new options are, or do I keep silent and just say that the mission is giving me an option to use?

On the matter - when a figure gets an attack - like "End of round, x figure may perform an attack" - does this count as an activation, or not?  One of the rebels was Jyn and she was annoyed that I said she couldn't use her ability that triggers at the start of an enemy's activation, since this was an interupt and not an attack?

Actually, those special interrupt actions such as "take one action after each hero activation" do count as mini-activations for purposes of Quick Draw etc. I asked FFG about this awhile back:

"Breaking Point" states that "instead of activating normally, the Royal Guard Champion performs one action after each hero activation." Can the RGC use his Brutality special action during this mission? And if so, how often? The rules for special actions state that "A figure can perform each special action only once per activation". This could be interpreted at least three ways: * The RGC can never use Brutality on this mission, because he never receives an activation. * The RGC can use Brutality on every action (up to 4 times per round), since that would not involve using it more than "once per activation". * The RGC can use Brutality only once per round, since that is how often he would be able to use it if he did activate normally.

And the response:

When a figure activates in this capacity, each of those actions contains its own separate “start” and “end” of activation and  resets the activation count. So, Jyn can Quick Draw the RGC when it takes one of those actions and it may use Brutality as often as it wishes using those actions.

As to the other question, the campaign guide instructs the Imperial to read out any new triggers as they arise, but *not* to include any other options that were not chosen. So it sounds like you played it correctly by announcing your chosen effect each time, but not announcing what your other options were.

That makes sense for the RGC and Darth Vader, because they both have similar missions where they get to "activate" after each hero activation.  But in this case it was a "end of round, RGC may move"   or "end of round, a group of storm troopers may attack" - does that still count as activations?

Btw, this particular mission was "Drawn In"

Edited by neosmagus

Yes, you played that right. Your rebels are fools for not wanting to know the round limit. While "Drawn In" has no round limit, they are told to act quickly because of the scripted event at the end of round 5.

When mission rules give you several options that you choose from, you only read to the rebels the option you chose, not any of the others.

You can show the rebels page 2 of the campaign guide, under "Mission Events" the first bullet point which details this.

I agree, the Rebels know the mission rules, and get read the rest as it happens.

But we ran into a question in the Hoth campaign where the Rebels hold off an attack. Per mission rules, end of certain rounds this would come up:

>Each hero may move 2 spaces. Then each hero chooses 1 of the following:

-become focused

-move 3 spaces

How about here? Should the Rebels know there is a then before they move their first 2 spaces? What if it was separated by 2 arrows like:

>Each hero moves 2

>Each hero moves 3 or becomes focused

If a list of choices are available:

(Imperial Player): Tells the rebels the choice you made, does not read the other choices.

(Rebel Player): Read the rebel player the available choices, then the rebel chooses.

Our question was about when the Rebels are told they can move 2 spaces, should they also be told before moving that afterwards they will have choices to make? Or are the 2 MPs supposed to be resolved before the Rebels are told of such choices?

I agree; it's an unusual situation, but I'd err on the side of openness and read the Rebels the entire triggered section before making them resolve anything that requires a decision.

As i stated before, you read all the choices to the Rebels. Page 2 of the Campaign guide details the fact that the only information you do not reveal are the choices the Imperial Player does not choose.