Sign in to follow this  
Hexdot

"Real world" markings on x wing ships

A fellow player told me that he is planning to put some WW2 style "Soviet Guards" decals on two Rebel Y wings, simply because it looks good. And certainly there is a link between Il 2 Sturmoviks and Y Wings.

Once I saw a Interceptor with veeeery mini decals related to a soccer team, and a "Cristiano Ronaldo" FS-31. Quite weird, perhaps, but custom and personal.

Red Neck Y-666 out there ? A Kim Kardashian GR 90 ? Or perhaps RAF X Wings?

Personally i really dislike this sort of thing.

Star Wars has such a vibrant Ip that doing 'cross overs' is just really lazy and for me, it ruins the immersion of the game if im playing my imperials against lets say a rebel fleet painted up to be the various teletubbies, or WWII US aircraft.

Its like when people paint 40k tank armies up as WWII german ones... just lazy when you could come up with something new and unique.

I am with you on that one. When I do repaints I always either recreate something from the universe (like turning a Punisher into a First Order ship, giving TIEs bloodstripes, painting the red Y-Wing from ANH) or make up something that fits into it but is unique. The latter is my favourite and it is the reason why I love painting HWKs - no other ship has so much freedom when it comes to individualization. Other Scum ships do come close, though. M3As are also amazing.

I've seen some very well done repaints in WWII colors. I think Gadge did one in the two tone green splinter with yellow markings for a F-31. Really eye catching.

The idea here is to show some creativity and differentiate your ships from everybody else. I'm torn on using squadron markings of "real" ships or squadrons on the minis but I can see an argument for it.

I admit that out of the box the minis look great but when you have a half a dozen rebel ships on the board like in Heros it nice to be able to spot yours right away. A little color never hurts. One thing I'd like to change, at least on the rebel ships, is the amount of wash used to highlight the detail. Regardless of how rag tag the fleet they'd be better maintained. I understand that it's used to make the beautiful engraving stand out but I think it's over done. Especially on the light grey paint.

I have not done any real world schemes in xwing.

All of mine are alternative card art.

Closest i get to 'copy' schemes afaik is my rogue trader imperial guard are done in quite muted 'vietnam us infantry' shades of buff and olive drab and my 'planetary defence force' are sky blue, buff and white like the rebel soldiers on the tantive IV

I used tuny decals on my first x wings...numbers... 1,2,3.

It was OK but always rubbed me the wrong way. Just yesterday I got rid of them and I like the ships so much more now.

I think it's best to keep the markings abstract. Just different patterns of color. It's unique enough for personalisation and doesn't disturb the 'look' of star wars.

Still, just one man's preference. If someone wants Teletubbies...I guess go for it. I'll think it's stupid but keep my thoughts to myself on it.

My imperial fleet has each ship with a dark red aurabesh 'H' on it so that i can tell which ones are mine but its tiny, like small enough to put on a tie fighter and not notice it unless you know its there.

____

__

____

Like that.... as my surname starts with an H

Edited by Gadge

Personally i really dislike this sort of thing.

Star Wars has such a vibrant Ip that doing 'cross overs' is just really lazy and for me, it ruins the immersion of the game if im playing my imperials against lets say a rebel fleet painted up to be the various teletubbies, or WWII US aircraft.

Its like when people paint 40k tank armies up as WWII german ones... just lazy when you could come up with something new and unique.

It's not lazy or unimaginative to do crossover themes. I especially love armies based off real world ones. There was an IG player doing cross-camo paintjobs to show supply shortages and uniform transition dragging, which is exactly what my grunt buddies had to deal with a decade ago. Then he had a wicked urban dazzle pattern for his armor.

I'd paint my TIE's in camouflage, but I never paint and that airbrush my roommate wants to get is simply not feasible with our work time. As it stands I can't even practice drab tones.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I think its lack of imagination to create something new that fits the rich star wars IP.

If you want WWII aircraft play a WWII game, there are enough of them.  Same for superhero stuff.

Perhaps we are too serious about the background in x wing. This is simply a Space Opera setting with a superb merchandising Empire behind a simple idea. If one guy is happy with some WW2 decals on a model, a cow like Lambda with his little bell, or a cammo Decimator, no problem.

And do not forget one detail. The EU we love ( or not ) is gone with the wind, so if in Rogue One we see a cammo Shuttle, perhaps from that moment it is "cannon".

Many players come from the world of.unpainted minis wargame. My Valhalla IG was cannon painted...but my.Shadowsword was Summer Wermach. Simply a game...

I have not done any real world schemes in xwing.

All of mine are alternative card art.

Closest i get to 'copy' schemes afaik is my rogue trader imperial guard are done in quite muted 'vietnam us infantry' shades of buff and olive drab and my 'planetary defence force' are sky blue, buff and white like the rebel soldiers on the tantive IV

My bad. It's Macross VF1 (I think) that did the splinter camo on the Slave.