Sign in to follow this  
Nightone

Woundlimit and Death

Hi there,

my group of SC came across an very bitchy Bull Rancor... and there it happend for the first time a player had to eat more damage than his woundlimit could take... or better: more then the double of his woundthreshold.(he was already hanig on a string when the attack came in)

Now the problem:

The core book says a player can have up to a maximium of his double WT wounds... but then it´s not declared what happens if that is reached...Does he die? Is he still just passed out?

Since the Book only state the Death of a player at a Crit of 141+, it seems unlikely that he would just die, but also its unlikely that nothings happens because then a character with a lower WT would need less time to recover from such an heavy injuri than a player with a higher WT...

In the sake of not losing in an eternal ruledebatte we decided that the player had to handle any point exceeding the doubled WT as viscious +1 for the crit role for going over the WT itself. (rolled a 21 and the Role was overall +50 so he was lucky)

but now I wonder did I overread something? If not how do you handle such situations??

(PS. sorry for spelling and/or gramma mistakes... I´m German ^^)

There's no official RAW for what happens after double. I think the general consensus is you just stop tracking wounds. The only explicit death happens via critical.

Your call was fine, I probably would have just put them at double their WT and left them there until someone revived them. Being out of the action is a pretty nasty penalty already.

I personally haven't encountered this yet, but my current working rule is that you add any ignored damage to the crit roll (similar to what you did). So if you have 15 wounds and you take 35 damage (from a vehicle weapon or some such), you'd take 30 wounds to get you to double, and the 5 ignored add to your crit roll (likely with the +50 from getting hit with a vehicle weapon).

Edited by Absol197

Feel free to correct me, peoples, but I thought:

• If you take wounds beyond your Wound Threshold you are incapacitated - can't act at all and may or may not be unconscious, depending on what the story demands.
  • Every time you take 1 or more wounds beyond your Wound Threshold you suffer an automatic Critical Hit (including the initial hit that put you over, of course).
  • You stop tracking Wounds past double your WT (which unfortunately means high WT guys can end up taking longer to heal, while gaining no benefit over other chaps who are over WT), but you still take additional Critical Hits.
  • As each Critical Hit you suffer adds +10 to your roll you'll eventually die of Critical Hit poisoning.

(I know I'm referencing some stuff that's already been stated, I was just trying to state it all in one place.  ;))

Edited by Col. Orange

Feel free to correct me, peoples, but I thought:

• If you take wounds beyond your Wound Threshold you are incapacitated - can't act at all and may or may not be unconscious, depending on what the story demands.
  • Every time you take 1 or more wounds beyond your Wound Threshold you suffer an automatic Critical Hit (including the initial hit that put you over, of course).
  • You stop tracking Wounds past double your WT (which unfortunately means high WT guys can end up taking longer to heal, while gaining no benefit over other chaps who are over WT), but you still take additional Critical Hits.
  • As each Critical Hit you suffer adds +10 to your roll you'll eventually die of Critical Hit poisoning.

(I know I'm referencing some stuff that's already been stated, I was just trying to state it all in one place.  ;))

Sounds about right to me!

I just kill 'em on one point past double wound threshold. The way I see it is their wound threshold is how much wounds they can handle, double the wounds + 1 you can handle is death in my opinion so that's how I handle it. Death is a natural plot point.

Since the Book only state the Death of a player at a Crit of 141+, it seems unlikely that he would just die, but also its unlikely that nothings happens because then a character with a lower WT would need less time to recover from such an heavy injuri than a player with a higher WT...

That little math conundrum has always bothered me as well.  Seems like sort of Brawn/Resilience check should be used to determine how many Wounds are recovered via natural or Bacta Tank narrative healing imo.

Edited by 2P51

Something like this really needs to be handled on a case by case basis. Yes, technically according to the rules, having a TIE fighter crash on you and explode would only do up to twice your wound threshold - but I think its fair if the GM goes "Yeah, you're dead. Roll up a new character." where - oh, say falling from a 5 story building. People survive that all the time (comparatively speaking).

In this instance, I think you ruled correctly.

Something like this really needs to be handled on a case by case basis. Yes, technically according to the rules, having a TIE fighter crash on you and explode would only do up to twice your wound threshold - but I think its fair if the GM goes "Yeah, you're dead. Roll up a new character." where - oh, say falling from a 5 story building. People survive that all the time (comparatively speaking).

In this instance, I think you ruled correctly.

I agree.  Mostly.  Only I'd have no trouble narrating how a character survives this situation.  :D

If the player wants their character to die in a dramatic way then the rules can take a running jump (perhaps they're piloting that TIE, and they kamikaze for an Inquisitor).  If the player would prefer their character to survive then perhaps Rules As Written is the way to go in any situation where survival is at least an unlikely possibility.

I just kill 'em on one point past double wound threshold. The way I see it is their wound threshold is how much wounds they can handle, double the wounds + 1 you can handle is death in my opinion so that's how I handle it. Death is a natural plot point.

Which isn't RAW. Only rolling 141+ on the crit check results in actual death.

I'm afb, but I don't think there's anything which says you take a crit anytime you take damage when over WT. I think you only take a crit when you go over it.

On topic, i think the only thing RAW is it says (i foget if it states or simply suggests) to stop counting at double WT. Personally, my houserule is if damage would go above 2x WT then they instead are at 2x WT and take a crit at +50 (and no, I don't use the +50 from vehicle weapons since this kinda builds it in).

I don't even wait to kill them. They die every adventure! It's not my fault the players are not as good at this game as I am. They should become better players, then maybe they wouldn't die so much. Besides RAW is just a guideline, as the GM I can do whatever I feel like doing, my rules are the final say, not some stoopid book! 

Um, yes...sarcsim font.

But, yeah, what Col. Orange said.

You just stop counting at double treshold and that number is just there for healing time. You only die at 141+ or when you and your player find it appropriate in the story.
Don`t think of it as "what would happen in real life", but instead "what would happen in a Star Wars story". The mechanics are made to emulate the Space Opera genre that Star Wars is.

You can be knocked silly against the wall by a Rancor and be up on your feet in the next "episode" or even after a "scene" or two, after enough rest.

But if you narrate that the Rancor bites the character`s limbs off*, that will have consequences of course. Narrate it like a fight scene would look in a Star Wars movie!

*Limbs can be lost in combat and replaced with cybernetics in the next scene or later if the player is up for it!:)

The additional crits for wounds suffered after being incapacitated is not RAW. From Sam Stewart:

"To your final question; rules as written a character would not suffer a second critical injury if the character takes more damage and is already incapacitated. However, since the character is incapacitated and cannot defend himself, the GM would be perfectly within his rights to allow the second hit to inflict an automatic critical injury, or any other nasty effects depending on the circumstances. If the character is being shot at point blank range while lying helpless on the ground, for example, the GM could simply skip the critical injuries altogether, and proceed directly to complete, unrecoverable death.

Note, if you are the GM, and it is one of your player characters who is in this situation, do not do this to your player and his character."

Edited by rowdyoctopus

(y)

(y)

This system is about emulating Star Wars and the genre, not about what seems the likely amount of wounds you could take in real life. Wounds are not meant to be taken that literally. Try to capture how combat and "wounds" would be in a Star Wars story, not in the real world.. Or do whatever you and your players want and think is fun.

Edited by RodianClone