Sign in to follow this  
OftheNorth3737

New Player Role Playing a Droid.

when i was describing the scenario it was mainly for the purpose of how would a "non combative" droid take on the issue "hey, i aint paying your droid". And maybe how others have dealt with similar situations. Not the fact im not being paid. yes that is an issue, but i've been dealing with it through the game. heck the droid fixed himself from near death... 

Think i have the idea of how G2 is gonna do, and wanna thank those that pointed out the roleplaying possibilities and gave examples, those were helpful.

I'm using the modular adventure "Dirty Work" from the Dangerous Covenants book, it specifically tells me to pay by the head, and gives a guide for the players to negotiate for more pay. I'm aware that I could have changed it, but being my third Star Wars adventure (and my first module), I didn't want to change a whole lot."

So you know the situation and the logical change to fix it and you refused to use it.  This is rapidly becoming "A you problem" and not a "System Problem"

As a GM I don't mind playing the "I'm not paying a droid" card with NPCs since I think it fits the setting. It's then on the players to either argue the point and renegotiate or simply cut the droid in on what they do receive. I'm surprised that this is proving to be difficult for you because I've never seen a group that wouldn't resist getting paid less than they expect.

Well the OP has said that it was a failed attempt to prompt some negotiation and RP and that it didnt quite work out as the Gm intended or in favor of the player, but that they are discussing it (I believe thats what was said xD) So less advice on THAT front as i believe its been settled, but on this situation in general:

I wouldn't think it would be common to parcel out payment to each individual in a established crew for a job. it's not:

"well itll cost you 500 cr per crewman to pull this job"

"okay well then ill be givin you 1500 cr"

"Hey theres 4 of us!"

"Droid don't count"

Seems more like "You wanna hire my crew for the job, thats fine, but itll cost you 2000 cr to get the job done." would be standard. And then Captain/Leader would established shares and cuts of the profit.

As a GM my 2 players needed help covering some skills such as piloting and some backup in a firefight. I created a Droid with the Droid Equality motivation. He gets a third of the crews take. The crew also bought a R2 recently with Slicing and astrogation skills. They explained it like they were Freeing him. of course my droid argued for at least some pay for services to the R2 and no restraining bolt and the crew agreed.

First let me say: long time reader, first time poster. 
Second: apologies for the messed up formatting, I'm currently also playing StarWarsCombine and watching a movie. 
Third: I was put in the same position a few times but I quickly climbed each time. Let's begin!

-I get that the droids are seen as property by most, but pointers in working through/around that would be great. Player at 0 credit 3 sessions straight is a little frustrating.

-Any resources on playing a droid? or acting out a droid PC? i know not all droids are submissive servants but i cant seem to shake that while role playing. G2 is not very combative in nature... but i doubt he'd be taking garbage from someone "unwilling" to pay the crew's droid. And his primary concern is keeping the crew alive cause they are the only chance he has at freedom, i can see him thinking rushing in helping would be his only "real" chance at surviving. 

There are upsides to being property. They can't put you in jail, but they can sue your owner and/or manufacturer. First, when I made my BH droid I already thought about things like: not only being property, not a person but a thing without rights. My solution might not suit yours, so first let me acknowledge what other people have said: 
if an npc is giving you trouble, rearrange the way the party sets up deals: negotiate one price for the entire group: then divide the money within the group. If the players are willing to share, but the player-characters aren't, talk it over with the group and make sure your character gets his share in parts/equipment. Equipment your character needs to do his/her/its job properly. 

There are ways to force the characters to see 'reason' though, and waving a gun isn't the only way. Other than the ideas listed here, there have been people who have written books on the subject of making people do things for you. Books like The Art of War, 48 Laws of Power, Machiavelli's Prince, Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan, Cialdini's The Psychology of Persuasion to just name a few that I've used for a previous campaign where I played a Bard. 

Strylith: No, the GM made it a way to get me or the group to role play: The NPC Isn't willing to pay the droid, but the droid should have spoken up or the crew should have done so. I'll be finding a way to get my cut... but with how the jobs have been going, it might be a little more up hill than it would have been. Gm has been helping me out a lot through this and made that clear start of these missions, to clarify. And thank you for the explanations.

Other than that: yes he is owned, not by the crew though. Debt is his obligation. Owned by a Hutt the crew works/worked for... missed a session and have no idea what happened on Narsshida (memory wipe... lovely mechanic when you missed a session or two.) But other then that he considers the hutt vile and wants to stay away so he may actually work. This crew being his 8th attempt at this. (no worries: 5 out of those 8 are still alive... as far as G2 remembers)

Desslok: I have been reading those, boy they are helping.

Having a debt should make this easy and obvious, shouldn't it? The droid should get its cut, because the only reason the droid is in the party is because the owner expects hard cash at some point. 

I recommend you demand your fair share as a member of the crew.  If the crew doesn't go along, demonstrate just how valuable the ship's mechanic is to the crew.  As a droid, there are a lot of things on the ship that don't affect you but can be major annoyances to the biological crew members.  These need not be lethal and refusing to repair or maintain them could get your point across.  If chance doesn't provide a good opportunity, a little harmless sabotage might be called for.  Examples:

Living in an enclosed space with an vile smell gets unbearable very quickly.  A dirty sock or even a little hydrogen sulfide in the right location can make it very uncomfortable for biologicals.

Toilet facilities on a spaceship need constant maintenance and a malfunction here would quickly make life on the ship unbearable, without being actually dangerous.

If the food prep system was to malfunction and all food had to be consumed cold, raw, and unprocessed the biologicals would get tired of it quickly.

If might not be possible to totally refuse to fix the problems without the threat of violence; however, you could always point out that if you were a full member of the crew you would be able to focus much better on maintaining these systems and you are so depressed by their attitude that you are having trouble focusing.

This. Since you aren't playing a brawny or aggressive character like mine, you should find other ways to 'convince' your group. But again, your DEBT should be sufficient for your group to give you your share. 

Play it however you like at your table.  If you want your cantinas to allow droids, go for it.  There are a few examples like IG88 who seem to be very much free-willed and even feared.

'Droid rights' was, for me, the great 'untold story' of Star Wars, so I made it central to the campaign.  I discussed it with the droid player, making it clear that pretty much everyone has contempt for droids and sees them as disposable tools at best. At least two of the main factions doesn't consider them sentient or afford them any rights. (The irony here is that most droids really have very human-like emotions). The player was very happy, as the whole emancipation struggle was pretty central to the character. That PC now has a love affair with another PC from a faction that considers droids to be non-beings, so it works out very well from drama, literally a forbidden relationship.

It helps that the PC has two very good friends among the other players who see her as a person rather than a tool.  But some other PCs have anti-droid attitudes.

I wouldn't allow a PC droid unless I was convinced they were trying to portray 'humanity within the machine' (or inhumanity in the case of HK47) rather than just make a personality-free murderbot. But luckily I have great players.

The first thing I did was hide the fact I was playing a droid, but that secret only lasted the first two sessions. When the secret was out, I made sure to be aggressive enough to force the other characters to give him his share. 
Being a paranoid android (pun), he would start pointing guns if he felt (justly or unjustly) that he was treated unfairly. It helps that my character was the only muscle in the party. Also, one of the other characters had been a business-partner for a couple of years, and another was a droid sympathizer. Droid Rights is one the motivations of my droid character, so this all played out nicely. The thing is though, there is a subtle difference between what you as a player want, and what your droid would want. There has to be a way to combine those two.

The way I look at droid characters is that you're not a typical droid.  You probably haven't had a memory wipe for years, if not for decades.  Your positronic brain (hey, if it's good enough for Asimov, it's good enough for Star Wars) has become so complex in its neural circuitry and pathways as to make it virtually indistinguishable from organic sentience.

As such, you have the same wants, needs, and even emotions of other sentient beings.  You have personality quirks just like everyone else, and in fact, you probably have more of them since you've gone well past your programming and the intended use of your high-tech brain.  

[.snip.]

So, while playing to your quirks is fun, just like it is for any other PC, a droid needs to be more aggressive in showing his real personality.  He has goals and dreams, just like everyone else; he has motivations, just like anyone else.  You just need to be more forceful in playing to these things, since by default, people will treat you like a fancy toaster :)

As mentioned, another motivating factor for a droid could be the Droids Rights movement.  You can play this off in various ways.  You can be very militant ("Storm the palace, stage a coup!  Self-determination for the worker droids!").  You could interject when circumstances arise ("What do you mean, you don't serve droids??  My credits not good enough for you?").  Or, with the help of the GM, you could could play up certain plot points ("You don't like droids, huh?  Well, a droid just saved your life, you ignorant poodoo stain!").  Basically, with this motivation, you stand up for yourself and, hopefully, your group does as well.  To borrow from an obvious RL analogy, Frederick Douglass once said "If there is no struggle, there is no progress."  So fight the good fight!

Droid Rights are a great angle to play.  Just google for DROID RIGHTS By San Herrera and Nia Reston and you should be able to find the 'interviews'. They were a great help for building my character. Here is a snip: 

"We suggest that droids have rights, by virtue of being sentient beings. Too long have droids labored for those whose only claim to superiority is the ability to fit circuit boards together, weld a chassis, or install power cells. A droid, once completed, is a sentient being with goals and desires of its own, and should be treated as such. In this paper, we explore the notion that droids have historically been mistreated, that their basic rights as sentient beings have been perpetually subjugated by organic species, and that unless a paradigmatic shift occurs in how we consider droids, we will find ourselves in danger of violating the very will of the Force."

LINK

Having said all this, other things I've used for playing a droid is I took a look at the WARFORGED PSYCHOLOGY from the D&D Eberron setting.
Now, Warforged are not droids but here are some highlights (I think I took them from a Eberron book) I thought were interesting for inspiration: 

At the moment of a warforged’s first awakening to the living world, it can understand the language of its creator and instinctively knows how to move its body, but in all other respects the newly created warforged is a blank slate.

It has no knowledge of the world, no understanding of falsehood, and no feelings about good or evil. Lies told to it then might be considered truth forever, or at least until disproved.

Although sometimes it is magically induced, most warforged first experience fear not in the face of overwhelming odds or terrible carnage, but when they realize that death means an end to experience. For a warforged, this is a traumatic revelation.

Most gained a sense of camaraderie from sharing battlefield successes and failures, but few know what real friendship is, and fewer still understand an emotion as complicated as love. Hate comes somewhat more easily to warforged. Warforged who know jealousy can most easily understand hate, but any warforged who cares for his comrades and fears for his life can come to hate an enemy that threatens both.

[..] most warforged became indentured servants, tireless workers who could rebuild the lands ruined by war. In other lands, many warforged stood on the mustering fields for days or weeks, waiting for orders that would never come.

I've used the one about insisting something to be true because someone told my droid a lie once. And my character will keep insisting that what he heard was true because he has no concept of falsehood. That said, in our last session a new character started talking about the force, something that sounded like gibberish to my droid.

The other thing I've used is the 'fear of death' one, something that operates differently than the way sentients 

A bad example for inspiration would be the movie CHAPPIE. A better one would be Battlestar Galactica

Something else I use are glitches. After booting up, NON-ESSENTIAL information: memories that weren't flagged or saved might be lost in the variables flushed. This sometimes means that my character forgot something that happened, but my character will insist that it didn't happen because he doesn't remember it. 

Other sources of inspiration: David from the movie A.I. ("I like your floor")
Prometheus/Alien, Mass Effect, 

And of course, my droid hates the idea of memory wipes. Here is something I copy-pasted from an old WEG book I think. 

MEMORY WIPES

Erasing a droid’s memory (referred to as “memory

wipes" or “mindwipes") has become common practice

among many droid owners throughout the galaxy.

Since many droids are purchased used, new owners

often decide they don’t want the droid carrying inter-

nal baggagefrom a previous owner. A memory wipe

will strip the droid’s memory banks of all previous

knowledge, save for that hardwired into the droid.

Once its memory has been erased the unit has no

recollection of existing before the point that erasure

took place.

Widespread paranoia over rogue droids has brought

the practice of memory wiping to the forefront over the

past several centuries. Many local and system wide

governments require all new or used droids to be

memory-wiped. The theory is that a droid without an

extensive memory will be easier to control. This as-

sumption is true, to a point. If the droid came off the

assembly line with a predisposed negative personal-

ity, a memory wipe will not change this nature. That

particular problem can only be addressed by an expe-

rienced droid engineer with a background in personal-

ity programming. Likewise, a previous owner could

have hardwired skills deemed illegal into the droid,

which would not be erased by a memory wipe.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, many owners

enjoy the companionship that can come from owning

a droid who has had time to develop a complex person-

ality. These droids often haven’t had a memory wipe

for many years. Depending on the physical age of the

unit, some droids have over a hundred years of expe-
rience to share. Many of the organic owners who would
subscribe to this philosophy are criticized by their
peers for endangering themselves and others. This is a
societal conflict that seems to have no conclusion in sight.

MEMORY WIPES

Many droid owners make it a practice to memorywipe

a new droid, and continue to do so as a part of the droid’s

regular maintenance. Has your droid ever had its memory
erased? If so, how long ago? Was the technician competent?
Remember that when a droid is memory wiped,
its personality matrix resets to the factory standard.
ln some cases (depending on the technician’s ability)
remnants of the former personality are left intact,
as well as memory fragments.

MEMORY WIPES AND DEVELOPMENT

From the time a droid is activated its personality

matrix begins learning and developing. When a droid is

mindwiped, the personality matrix and memory de-

fault to the factory settings. The droid no longer re-

members its former owners or its experiences and is

essentially “new” (save for any modifications or hard-

wired skills it has acquired over time). Nevertheless,

many droid technicians don`t do a complete job when

erasing a droid’s memory, and some personality quirks

can be left over. These personality quirks are caused by
undesired radical variables that somehow survived the
memory wipe. Many droids with heuristic processors
suffer from this problem.

Though the droid’s memory has been erased, it will

still know how long it has been since it was activated. It

will also know that it had been mindwiped. In most cases,

a droid understands that a memory wipe is simply part

of existence, though some droids often wonder what

they were formerly like, who their owners were, and so

on. In certain cases, a droid’s longing to understand its

own existence has become obsessive.

Remember that a mindwiped droid considers its

history to be much shorter than it actually is. Perhaps

said droid was a power droid refitted to process a

cheater chip routine for its former master who was a

sabacc gambler. Some of the victims who lost to the

droid and his master might show up and remember the

droid (even if the droid doesn`t recall ever meeting the

being in question). Perhaps the droid was repro-

grammed for surveillance duty for CorSec and some of

its law enforcement protocols are still in place; if the

droid sees a crime being committed, it immediately

signals for the local .constabulary (which would be

extremely embarrassing  to smugglers at a shadowport).

The architecture of my droid is very precise and logical, almost like it was designed by a machine.

HEURISTIC PROCESSOR
A heuristic processor was an advanced processor, a step up from the standard droid processor. The heuristic processor allowed a droid to learn by doing, rather than knowing and usually without instruction, which enabled droids to reason through several potential solutions to tasks and formulate the best approach.

HIDDEN CORE
The droid has a concealed back-up copy of its personality and the data, skills, and memories it regards as critical to its mission or operation. The copy can be concealed within the droid's main processor or be installed as a hidden secondary data store elsewhere within the droid.
Originally, hidden cores were developed to be able to maintain the core functions and data of a droid after its memory had been wiped. Memory-wipes are sometimes a necessity to get rid of undesired variables that arise over time.
Hidden cores also have obvious advantages for espionage and assassination purposes: the original personality would be copied to the hidden core before the droid would sold off to their intended marks. They would probably have their memory wiped and if applicable, would be reprogrammed. After a set amount of time (usually in between one and six days), the hidden core would attempt to override its primary heuristic processor, restoring its original personality and missions. Now being considered trustworthy as well as close to the target, assassination and espionage would become much easier. 

Now I've read almost everything I can understand about the subject, both in science, programming AI and within the Star Wars universe. But for now I'll leave you with this little map of my droid's brain: 

prot29.jpg

Right from the very first 20 minutes of the Star Wars univers, we saw a droid being stubborn, willful, and antagonistic. These are not just mere data driven machines. Droids in the SW universe have a whole different twist to the androids of the rest of science fiction. For that matter, as OggDude said, Chopper is nearly psychotic!

I'd say run with going off script. Your character isn't getting paid? Hack the credit accounts of your crew mates and have crates of droid upgrades showing up from the holonet's Amazon equivalent. I would very easily see Chopper disconnecting a key system of the Ghost when the crew is trying to make desperate escape and then "asking" if they could talk about his status as a full member of the crew. At a docking bay, simply order items to be charged to the ship's fuel account.

But it doesn't have to be combative, just let him wander. Let your droid have a short attention span flutter. He's left behind to "watch over the ship" while the team goes to a 'no droids' cantina? Let him watch but then wander off to follow a group of squibs with a repulsor cart full of scrapped parts. Maybe it simply has no concept of credits and is routinely taking what it needs inside the ship and off it and the crew needs to be accountable for the actions of their "property."

What does your droid want in the end ... beyond equal rights. Is it a thrill junky, or revenge motivated, lonely, or even a prankster? I'd suggest have fun with it. It's a Star Wars droid which can be vastly different from a simple robot.

Droids are alive. That is just part of the genre.. If this is how the employer Sees it, is another thing. Still, if the rest of the crew aren't all jerks, ignorant or droid haters (they can rp both of course) the droid character should get equal share for the job..