Sign in to follow this  
Hobojebus

40K no longer the top dog.

ICv2's "Internal Correspondence" #89 is out (the ones that does the "top 5 non-collectible miniatures games" list for US retailers) and the top five list is now:

1. X-Wing

2. 40k

3. Armada

4. Warmachine

5. Attack Wing

If right that's pretty great for ffg and down right terrible for GW.

Yeah, Armarda is the big surprise in that list. I was under the impression imperial assault was way ahead of Armarda in sales

Imperial Assault is placed under Board Games and not under "top 5 non-collectible miniatures games"

See: http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32098/top-10-board-games-spring-2015

Also for sprint 2015 it shows 40k on top still.

Yup the Spring 2015 list:

1 Warhammer 40k - Games Workshop

2 Star Wars X-Wing - Fantasy Flight Games

3 Star Wars - Armada Fantasy Flight Games

4 Warmachine - Privateer Press

5 Hordes - Privateer Press

For Attack Wing to climb back to the fifth spot is a surprise.

Yeah, Armarda is the big surprise in that list. I was under the impression imperial assault was way ahead of Armarda in sales

Imperial Assault is placed under Board Games and not under "top 5 non-collectible miniatures games"

See: 

http://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/32098/top-10-board-games-spring-2015

Beat me to it. Imperial Assault is #3 in board game category. I wish there was an actual comparison figure because I imagine board games in general exceed miniatures.

This would be for fall of 2015' if true. And it would be pretty shocking if so even if xwing had more releases.

Ffg had the release of the core set, 2 movie expansions, imperial carrier, and maybe wave 7.

Wh40k only had tau Codex release and the rest of the fall was dominated by age of sigmar and a massive selling of betrayal of Calth which is a boxed game and 30k.

More sales on Armada than Warmachine ???? Hard to believe

Armada has been beating warmachine for since its release which is odd I agree since we don't have many people who play armada in my area either.

I've seen battle reports of 40k games and the game seems appealing to me, but the extreme cost, time, and skill needed to paint them well and purchase them is just too much. If it coated like, half the amount it currently does I could see myself getting into it.

It's injection molded plastic. They only have to make the molds once.

I've seen battle reports of 40k games and the game seems appealing to me, but the extreme cost, time, and skill needed to paint them well and purchase them is just too much. If it coated like, half the amount it currently does I could see myself getting into it.

Without turn it this I to a 40k hate thread, it isn't even the cos lt that puts me off, it's the constant pee-peeing around with the rules. When I bought sixth edition (prob about £150 in source material; rulebook, codexes ect) I managed to get ten games in before they released the next edition, complete with all new rule books and codexes. That's about the point I found x-wings rules were available FOR FREE online. I can't believe that one company could expect me to pay so much per year for rules when another is happy to give them to me for free!! Since that day, I haven't even picked up a 40k model, and I'm guessing I am not the only one who's had enough of GE policies, hence the (long overdue) dethroning of the GW empire

Supposedly, the molds break quite frequently, actually. Or at least get damaged to the point they don't meat GW's standards (What that means exactly, I dunno). Edited by Squark

Supposedly, the molds break quite frequently, actually. Or at least get damaged to the point they don't meat GW's standards (What that means exactly, I dunno).

Ah yes, that explains why you used to be able to get 20 Cadians for $20 and now can get 10 of the exact same models for $29.

If lining up and just throwing dice at one another appeals to you in a Who's Line is it Anyway style game where the "Rules are made up, and the points don't matter", maybe you can find some stuff second hand for cheap.

But given how much issue you have with X-Wings game design, your head might explode if you tried 40k.

Supposedly, the molds break quite frequently, actually. Or at least get damaged to the point they don't meat GW's standards (What that means exactly, I dunno).

First, molds are very expensive.  Especially hardened steel molds.  Its cheaper to go with a soft steel/aluminum mold, but they don't last.  The automotive industry uses these for prototype parts because the molds are about a tenth of the cost of a production mold.  So it could be that GW has decided that it'll be cheaper in the long run to make a second (or 3rd) set of "prototype" molds instead of paying the cost for the production mold once and not having to worry about it anymore.

An injection mold machine works by heating the plastic up to several hundred degrees (well over the melting point - you don't want it solidifying until it is in place).  Then, it is force fed through tiny nozzles into the mold.  To keep everything in place, the mold has several thousand pounds of pressure (rule of thumb is 3 tons per square inch - so for a battle tank that is 4''x6'', you're looking at 150,000lbs of pressure) squeezing the two halves together.  Finally, to control how the plastic cools, the mold has water jackets routing water through the mold.  As for what "breaks," the answer is really nothing.  However, the hollow section of the mold (which produces the figure) starts to deform.  Eventually it deforms enough that it does not pass quality checks anymore.  At this point, you may be able to modify the mold to reshape it.  However, that requires removing additional material to a section that is already weak.  So you may not be able to do that (I'm not familiar with "fixing" prototype tools).  Even if you can do this once or twice, eventually you'll run into the point that the cost to adjust the tool does not support the time the tool will last.  At which point you need a new tool.