Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Is it too late to change Agent Blaise?

I wonder if FFG is able to change him or if his pose is LOCKED IN at this point?   Everyone who has commented on it, has reacted negatively to him.  The Box Art AND his card show a scout trooper with helmet on, yet his miniature has the helmet removed and arguably the worst posed miniature of all time. 

swi26_spread.png

Why make a miniature that looks nothing like the art?   Can they change it?   Please? 

Well it may be possible to carve out the helmet and use it to replace his head but it would require some green stuff and a whole lot of patience to make it look good.

The short answer is "no". The lead time on minis sculpting is too great and these may already be in production.

Although just a small tweak to his right arm pose would do wonders. The helmet-less look is great, it's just the arm pose of frustration that really hurts the overall look.

I wonder if the same sculptor works on all the Imperial Assault stuff, as aesthetically this figure does look very different from what we've seen in the past.

My vote is green stuff a middle finger on that hand or cut off the arm and use another one.

Edited by Hawkman2000

I like it too... The challenge for them is making each figure unique enough that you don't confuse a bunch of gray miniatures on the board. The painters are lucky in that they can personalize their figures... but I can't... I have neither the skill nor the funds to do so...

Truly, it is among the worst poses I could possibly imagine.

At least I can take the guns off Weiss.

This guy? Well, let's hope someone gets an alternate sculpt on on Shapeways soon.

Edited by Tvayumat

Its most likely too late to change since they're most likely making these even before they show us anything of the expansion(s).

The only reason I see him having this pose is because the (future) scouttroopers or storm commandos will be using long rifles, so they wanted to prevent confusion amongst figures. That said, they could've just done something like one is crouching, another is standing, another is running etc.

In the amazing artwork, I think, or at least I hope, it's a truncheon that he is holding in his right hand. Maybe a torch/flashlight. In the sculpt, I think he is holding an imaginary truncheon.

I think the sculpt is fantastic. The detail looks great. All of it. The weapon, helmet, facial expression, cloth, armour. All the things you might want if you are to paint him.

His pose leaves me thinking something I'm not supposed to think about in the heat of battle.

I wonder if the same sculptor works on all the Imperial Assault stuff, as aesthetically this figure does look very different from what we've seen in the past.

My guess would be no, I reckon they have a new sculptor working on this wave, or at least they're trying something new. All the figures, particularly the faces on Blaise and the infiltrators, and the whole figure for the Ithorian character, look a lot more stylised than we've seen before. I like the detail (I agree Blaise's pose is a bit odd, but I don't *hate* it) and overall they're a nice looking set of sculpts, but it definitely feels like a slightly different design ethic.

I'm going to buy this guy and mod him into a grumpy old man.

I'll shave the hair off, turn the gun into a cane.

Maybe I'll turn the helmet into a whisky jug.

Paint job will be mostly denim blue for the clothes and tan boots.

Maybe I'll mod the armor into a white muscle shirt.

A lot to work with...

Plastic miniature tooling is the longest part of the entire production process. Blaise's sculpt had to be locked in and finalized to go into mouldmaking probably well before the design team even had a solid idea of what his rules and stats in-game would be. So short answer would be: yes, it's definately too late.

I'm in the 'actually, I like him' camp. I don't mind the pose. Helmet off and pointing/waving a fist in the air is universal miniature wargame speak for 'I'm the leader of this bunch', and that makes him have a certain charm, in a wink-and-nod-to-a-classic-trope kind of way.

Plastic miniature tooling is the longest part of the entire production process. Blaise's sculpt had to be locked in and finalized to go into mouldmaking probably well before the design team even had a solid idea of what his rules and stats in-game would be. So short answer would be: yes, it's definately too late.

I'm in the 'actually, I like him' camp. I don't mind the pose. Helmet off and pointing/waving a fist in the air is universal miniature wargame speak for 'I'm the leader of this bunch', and that makes him have a certain charm, in a wink-and-nod-to-a-classic-trope kind of way.

I was a little disappointed with Kayne Somos script, because honestly he just looks like another Stormtrooper.  This guy has a little variety, along with the ISB guys.  So sick of normal stormtroopers.

I'm going to buy this guy and mod him into a grumpy old man.

I'll shave the hair off, turn the gun into a cane.

Maybe I'll turn the helmet into a whisky jug.

Paint job will be mostly denim blue for the clothes and tan boots.

Maybe I'll mod the armor into a white muscle shirt.

A lot to work with...

Everyone sees him as shaking his fist.  I see him as clenching his fist more in a special ops 'attack' type gesture.  Not the best pose, but I'm okay with it.  It would be a little better if he had a detonator or something in the fist.

I was a little disappointed with Kayne Somos script, because honestly he just looks like another Stormtrooper.  This guy has a little variety, along with the ISB guys.  So sick of normal stormtroopers.

Kayn looks exactly like he should.

He looks like a Stormtrooper commander. The sort of soldier who knows to wear his **** helmet, giving a clear order to the troopers around him in a classic "Go that way" military gesture.

This dude looks ridiculous, like he stopped in the middle of combat to pop his helmet off, is using his rifle as a walking stick, and shaking his fist like Dr. Claw insisting that he'll "Get you next time, Gadget"

Kayn looks exactly like he should.

He looks like a Stormtrooper commander. The sort of soldier who knows to wear his **** helmet, giving a clear order to the troopers around him in a classic "Go that way" military gesture.

This dude looks ridiculous, like he stopped in the middle of combat to pop his helmet off, is using his rifle as a walking stick, and shaking his fist like Dr. Claw insisting that he'll "Get you next time, Gadget"

Hmmm.  You know, I bet he was checking a text on his little wrist phone/watch thingy and couldn't see a darn thing through that helmet (who can?) so he took it off.  Then when he saw his wife was making PB&Js for dinner instead of Enchiladas he was really pissed.

Totally understandable.

That's the real backstory of the figure.

I'm sick of normal Stormtroopers too, man! What I could really go for is some of those Imperial army guys I've been hearing about...

(DUCKS AND COVERS, LOL)