Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Kaos

Delayed During a Complex Encounter

I just played my first game of Eldritch Horror yesterday so please forgive me for not knowing all the particulars of the card such as their names. Anyway I had a question: what happens if an investigator becomes delayed in the middle of a Complex Encounter? In my game my investigator went into a Gate and drew the "Library of R'yleh" (I think it was called that) and she passed the first part of the card but failed the second part and became delayed. So I wonder what the mechanics are for the next encounter phase. Does she stay on the current encounter during the next encounter phase and try again? Does she have to do the entire Encounter again or just the part she failed? Or does she get booted from the Complex Encounter and have to draw a new one on the next encounter phase? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or the reference guide. I ended up redoing the second part of the encounter on my next encounter phase but drawing a whole new Encounter Card and starting over seemed like a logical thing to do too. Thanks.

(...) what happens if an investigator becomes delayed in the middle of a Complex Encounter? (...)

Below is an excerpt from the Reference Guide. I have highlighted sections that are relevant to your question.

skPRnkL.png

That doesn't really answer my question because they were delayed during the Encounter Phase not the Action Phase. Nothing in those descriptions mentions the Encounter Phase; only the Action Phase. I get that during my next Action Phase I become "not delayed" but what happens during my next Encounter Phase? My main question is what happens to the actual Encounter that I drew? Do I continue it where I left off during my next Encounter Phase? Do I start the whole thing over? Or do I draw another one during the next Encounter Phase?  There's nothing in the rules to say what happens to the Encounter when an investigator becomes delayed during an encounter.

(...) what happens if an investigator becomes delayed in the middle of a Complex Encounter? (...)

Below is an excerpt from the Reference Guide. I have highlighted sections that are relevant to your question.

skPRnkL.png

That doesn't really answer my question because they were delayed during the Encounter Phase not the Action Phase. Nothing in those descriptions mentions the Encounter Phase; only the Action Phase. I get that during my next Action Phase I become "not delayed" but what happens during my next Encounter Phase? My main question is what happens to the actual Encounter that I drew? Do I continue it where I left off during my next Encounter Phase? Do I start the whole thing over? Or do I draw another one during the next Encounter Phase?  There's nothing in the rules to say what happens to the Encounter when an investigator becomes delayed during an encounter.

The referenced rules that were posted and highlighted in red are not for the action phase alone, only the second item refers to the action phase and can be ignored in your situation. If you become delayed in your encounter phase and the card has no further instructions after directing you to become delayed, you lay your investigator on their side, discard the encounter card, and end your turn. During your next action phase you must loose (use) both your actions to right your investigator, at this point, if their are no monsters present* (if a monster is present your must first encounter it), you may encounter the gate again if it was not closed, or you may have any other location encounter that is valid for your current space. Hope this helps clear up any confusion you may have had remaining.

* - A monster may have appeared during the subsequent Mythos phase or may remain on space if certain items, or spells [Mists of Releh] were used before previous encounter

Edited by Devon Greatwolf

skPRnkL.png

The referenced rules that were posted and highlighted in red are not for the action phase alone, only the second item refers to the action phase and can be ignored in your situation. If you become delayed in your encounter phase and the card has no further instructions after directing you to become delayed, you lay your investigator on their side, discard the encounter card, and end your turn. During your next action phase you must loose (use) both your actions to right your investigator, at this point, if their are no monsters present* (if a monster is present your must first encounter it), you may encounter the gate again if it was not closed, or you may have any other location encounter that is valid for your current space. Hope this helps clear up any confusion you may have had remaining.

* - A monster may have appeared during the subsequent Mythos phase or may remain on space if certain items, or spells [Mists of Releh] were used before previous encounter

Thanks. That answers my question completely and is pretty much what I figured would happen.

That doesn't really answer my question because they were delayed during the Encounter Phase not the Action Phase. Nothing in those descriptions mentions the Encounter Phase; only the Action Phase. 

The rules for being delayed don't mention the Encounter Phase, because they don't affect the Encounter Phase.

Edited by tsuma534

Delayed is not to hard once you "get it", but it has always been a hard part for me to get my head around.  Sort of like "lose a turn" but the "turn" point is the end of the action phase!  Ouch, my brain hurts again.

Delayed is not to hard once you "get it", but it has always been a hard part for me to get my head around.  Sort of like "lose a turn" but the "turn" point is the end of the action phase!  Ouch, my brain hurts again.

My take on becoming Delayed, after starting this thread, is that if you receive a Delayed condition your turn immediately ends and whatever you were doing stops. So in my original example of becoming delayed while closing a Gate the investigator is Delayed and they will have to star over if they want to close the gate on their next action turn. So instead of thinking of it as "lose a turn" I started thinking of it as "stop what you're doing, and start over on your next action phase".