Sign in to follow this  
higgie301

Who thinks X Wing Tournaments are way too long?

Just saw that the Mt. View, California regionals is going to be a two day event. Looks like there is hope that sanity can prevail.

More then a few of the Regionals are going to be two day events. At a certain level of attendance I agree that you need a two day event. But if you think that means you aren't going to be playing 6 or 7 rounds in a single day still, you are likely going to be disappointed.

Two day Regionals are likely going to move the Top Cut to Sunday, so you are still going to be playing the full amount of Swiss rounds on Saturday. Given that your orginal issue was with how long the Swiss portion of the event took, if you still believe that to not be the fault of poor time management from the TO, then a two day Regional fixes nothing for you. You are still going to be playing 6-7 rounds in a day.

At least this is much better I believe. For me personally 6 rounds is about it on the fun scale. But at least you can mentally prepare for a 6-7 round event knowing if you make the cut you get to go get a good night's sleep and come back refreshed for the top 16 the next day.

I honestly think vassal is the future of tournaments. Played on your schedule and your own time frame. I honestly don't think I'll play in another tourn er y unless it is the 4 round kind...with no cuts.

But they are starting to change like the Mt. View event. Which is a good thing.

Hyperbole, derived from a Greek word meaning “over-casting” is a figure of speech, which involves an exaggeration of ideas for the sake of emphasis.

Well then we'll just see what the future holds.  Yes your arguments of how things are can't be argued with...popular game growing, early morning final starts after a long and exhausting day happen.  Things change,  there used to be slavery, women couldn't vote...gay people couldn't marry.  But eventually things change for the better.  It looks like it is starting this year with some regionals...swiss one day final cut the next.  So no more moving the goals posts...can we let the future sort itself out?  I am sorry for being so passionate about this...but I honestly will never think a final game starting after midnight is good for the game, or the players.  If that is what the future holds then won't be the game for me or others who feel the way I do and that's ok.

Edited by higgie301

And that's how you completely jump the shark in a discussion about X-wing. You somehow relate it to woman's sufferage, slavery, and the LGBT rights movement.

I'm not sure whether it's funny or just offensive that you make the correlation on any level.

Edited by ScottieATF

And that's how you completely jump the shark in a discussion about X-wing. You somehow relate it to woman's sufferage, slavery, and the LGBT rights movement.

I'm not sure whether it's funny or just offensive that you make the correlation on any level.

I'd vote for funny especially after the whole hyperbole thing...but that is just me.

I'd vote for funny especially after the whole hyperbole thing...but that is just me.

seems like we have found another opinion you are alone in then...

here is a time table for our local Regionals later this year

Round timing should look like this:

Round 1: 9:30am

Round 2: 10:50am

Round 3: 12:10pm

Round 4: 1:30pm

Round 5: 2:50pm

Round 6: 4:10pm

Quarter Finals: 5:30pm

Semi Finals: 6:50pm

Finals: 8:10pm

that's how its done people

Except 9 games in one day is insane and with no dinnerbrakes at all its even worse.

Why do you think some regionals are changing to two day events this year Soontir?  Is there a possibility they feel 6 or 7 rounds of swiss cutting to a top 8 or 16 is too long for one day?  I guess no one shares my opinion.

By some, you mean one? Which is at a convention, so being there multiple days is expected. 

Also, there is a reason they keep adding more.

Edited by Sithborg

X wing is a simple, fun game that doesn't take long to play.

X wing tournaments have become the opposite of this.

An x wing tournament should be simple, fun and end before 12am. The entire tournament structure needs to be redesigned to accommodate the massive growth rate x wing is experiencing.

I personally think the Swiss rounds either need to be the main focus of the event with dropping the elimination rounds, or the entire event needs to be done in double elimination.

My personal opinion aside, the current tournament organization cannot sustain popularity of this magnitude.

Why do you think some regionals are changing to two day events this year Soontir?  Is there a possibility they feel 6 or 7 rounds of swiss cutting to a top 8 or 16 is too long for one day?  I guess no one shares my opinion.

By some, you mean one? Which is at a convention, so being there multiple days is expected. 

There is at least one other regional this year that is going to take place over two days. Also, it is not part of a convention or any other event outside of the tournament itself.

My personal opinion aside, the current tournament organization cannot sustain popularity of this magnitude.

Just need to have TO's who can properly run an event, which includes in part knowing when to put caps in place.

Let's look at the longest an event should last, figure a max of 7 swiss and cut to top 16

That means the most someone would have to do is 7+4 or 11 games. Let's say that normal games take upwards of 90 minutes. That allows for time to move to a new table, and for that final round which can go past time.

That means for the first 10 games you are really looking at a max of 15 hours, figure 15.5 for lunch. That means really the latest an event that huge should be over by 3am or so. But for the vast majority of people the event would be over by 9pm or so.

Is that a long day? Oh hell yes. But that doesn't mean something is flawed with the system, because honestly if you have 150+ people showing up for an event, then it may be time to make it a 2 day event. But there is no need to change the fundamental way that tournaments work.

Edited by VanorDM

But there is a flaw with 2 day events in that many people can do a long 1 day event, but cannot do a 2 day event. I am not going to the Florida regional this year because it is 2 hours from me and swiss will be Saturday and Top 8 will be Sunday. I canot afford to get a hotel room and I am not going to make a 4 hour round trip twice. If it was 1 day even if it went till 3 or 4am I could do it, but can't do 2

Other than your personal opinion, what fact-based and empirical evidence do you have to support this?

There is at least one other regional this year that is going to take place over two days. Also, it is not part of a convention or any other event outside of the tournament itself.

Then the Regional list is flawed. As I only saw one that listed more than one day. 

You may not want to drive 4 hours round-trip twice, but I am sure that some people potentially attending the event you are referencing would rather do that than have to drive a long distance after being awake for 20 hours. There are arguments for both formats.

An x wing tournament should be simple, fun and end before 12am. The entire tournament structure needs to be redesigned to accommodate the massive growth rate x wing is experiencing.

I personally think the Swiss rounds either need to be the main focus of the event with dropping the elimination rounds, or the entire event needs to be done in double elimination.

I agree with you in general: I think the tournament structure for larger events needs to be reoriented. Unfortunately, almost every other tournament structure has some defect that's similarly hard to swallow.

The only easy way to make events shorter is to run straight Swiss until there's only a single undefeated player, but that's pretty demoralizing for players who lose early. And almost every other alternative (including double elimination, which I would otherwise prefer) would actually take even longer.

I agree with you in general: I think the tournament structure for larger events needs to be reoriented. Unfortunately, almost every other tournament structure has some defect that's similarly hard to swallow.

The only easy way to make events shorter is to run straight Swiss until there's only a single undefeated player, but that's pretty demoralizing for players who lose early. And almost every other alternative (including double elimination, which I would otherwise prefer) would actually take even longer.

This is true.  While the current tournament system is terrible in lots of ways, it's by far the least terrible of all the possibilities.

Except for the fact that 1/2 MoV rules don't apply to small or huge ships.  The 1/2 MoV rule should clearly be a universal, not just a large-ship thing.  While it stopped points-lockboxing with large ships, it just moved everyone to points-lockboxing small ships.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

well guys I'm not being entirely serious but one solution would be simple: turn at least some of the tournaments into a league with personal scores updated online by each TO. each time you enter a local SC your score is updated.

do basketball players play the entire league in one or two days, from early morning to past midnight?