Sign in to follow this  
The_Brown_Bomber

The case for autoblaster

With so many imperial ace builds about isn't it time this card saw play?

Does anyone has a competitive list that uses it?

heres one im tinkering with...

Scum (99pts)

boba fett 39

tactician 2

vet instincts 1

engine upgrade 4

autoblaster 5

51pts

syndicate thug 18

TLT 6

24pts

syndicate thug 18

TLT 6

24pts

have also heard of brobots using autoblaster but havent seen an optimal list yet.

thoughts?

Edited by The_Brown_Bomber

Shhh, shhh.

You go VI Imperial Kath with Autoblaster Cannon and Engines with a decent initiative bid to make sure you are moving last. The only cancelable results will be crits. So hit hit crit becomes autohit autohit stress.

Haven't tried it yet, just a concept but it seems like a good ace hunter.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

The problem is most cannon carriers struggle to get into range 1 of those Aces.

Yeah. The kind of ship you want to shoot with Autoblaster is exactly the kind of ship you're least likely to get a shot at. A secondary problem is that if you want to use it effectively, you need something at PS10+ with boost and barrel roll, and once you stack Autoblaster on there, it's too expensive to work against anything that's *not* a hyper-elusive Ace.

PS10 boba is nothing to sneeze at. It will require skill to get the shot away i agree but its doable. with tactician at range2 and autothruster at range1 you have a dangerous threat to soontir fel.

i actually like the scum boba better, imperial boba with unpredictable pilot ability is very hard to get working. imo ur better to just go for ps10 for the endgame. ps11 vader could be an issue tho.

PS10 boba is nothing to sneeze at. It will require skill to get the shot away i agree but its doable. with tactician at range2 and autothruster at range1 you have a dangerous threat to soontir fel.

i actually like the scum boba better, imperial boba with unpredictable pilot ability is very hard to get working. imo ur better to just go for ps10 for the endgame. ps11 vader could be an issue tho.

you just set your dial to any bank without thinking and you're good.  You can decide what to do later.  This list I mentioned (edited) above slaughters a deci/phantom list at least.

I have been looking forward to using the autoblaster with the outrider and zeb from the ghost when it comes out.  i like the idea of a close range bumper boat.

While this is hilarious, Zeb only works when in arc, so you might just be better with the title.  

I think VI Boba w/engine and Moralo Eval are probably the only viable candidates for the Autoblaster, and Kavil and Hera for the ABT.  

I like the thinking but it is just so hard to squeeze it into a list these days.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Imperial Firespray. It just seems to me if you wanna ace hunt, wouldn't you get better mileage out of a decimator with gunner and vader? Wouldn't even need to invest more into it. EU is great if you have the points, but not nessecary. I'm not ever going to dismiss the idea of an ace hunting autoblaster.. But even when my patrol leader misses his two attacks against soontir, he leaves soontir either dead or maimed. Maybe in scum the autoblaster slave is a better option? Or someone here can sell me on the idea.

Edited by BleakSquadron

Don't get me wrong, I love my Imperial Firespray. It just seems to me if you wanna ace hunt, wouldn't you get better mileage out of a decimator with gunner and vader? Wouldn't even need to invest more into it. EU is great if you have the points, but not nessecary. I'm not ever going to dismiss the idea of an ace hunting autoblaster.. But even when my patrol leader misses his two attacks against soontir, he leaves soontir either dead or maimed. Maybe in scum the autoblaster slave is a better option? Or someone here can sell me on the idea.

Well yeah, that's better, but if you just HAD to use an autoblaster...

Yeah. The kind of ship you want to shoot with Autoblaster is exactly the kind of ship you're least likely to get a shot at. A secondary problem is that if you want to use it effectively, you need something at PS10+ with boost and barrel roll, and once you stack Autoblaster on there, it's too expensive to work against anything that's *not* a hyper-elusive Ace.

If it was range 1-2 and 5  or even 6 squadron points it would be a good upgrade. But I think the devs got scared of uncancelable hits (much like range 5 weapons when the CR-90 out) giving it range 1 instead of 1-2 and originally allowing evade tokens and C-3PO to block it. Now we just got weapons that can't be arc-dodged and roll enough red dice to be almost uncancelable. 

Dash?

With so many imperial ace builds about isn't it time this card saw play?

Does anyone has a competitive list that uses it?

heres one im tinkering with...

Scum (99pts)

boba fett 39

tactician 2

vet instincts 1

engine upgrade 4

autoblaster 5

51pts

syndicate thug 18

TLT 6

24pts

syndicate thug 18

TLT 6

24pts

have also heard of brobots using autoblaster but havent seen an optimal list yet.

thoughts?

The main problem I see with this list is that focusing fire on Boba Fett is a no-brainer.  The Y-wings just don't pose enough of a threat by themselves, which means the likely outcome is that Boba Fett will die fairly quickly and then the remaining enemy ships will pick off the Y-wings one at a time.

I think the idea of Boba Fett with an Autoblaster and Tactician is a good one, but he probably needs to be flown with something that is a serious threat at range 3 so folks who try to focus on Fett get punished.  I just don't know what Scum has that threatens Autothruster aces at Range 3.

Maybe on Moralo Eval?

Still struggling with the range 1. If the outrider title didn't bring it to the table. I'm not exactly sure Moralo Eval would succeed.

To be fair, Autoblaster Outrider has no other weapon. Autoblaster Eval has the range 2 and 3 primary. I do think that the "range 1 anti-ace weapon" for scum is easily the Feedback Array, though.

Dash + Outrider + AutoBlaster + VI + Tactician is VERY good at sticking at range 1 of his target. I've played it fairly extensively (taking top 8 in a 2015 Store Championship with it) and the only time I've had my target escape and get away from me was wen I was up against Superdash- the boost + Barrel Roll was eventually enough for him to out-turn me and slip away. But AutoDash is surprisingly effective and most people don't know how to deal with it. It struggles against Fat PWTs, but now that we don't have many of those around I might need to bring him out of retirement.

With the current meta and a tendency towards PS 10+ Aces I think that I might switch up the upgrades to something like Dash + Outrider + AB + PtL + Intel Agent + Engine Upgrade (or maybe Ion Projector). Still gotta watch out for TLTs though.

I flew 2 B-Wing with Auto Blaster in a tourney after Wave 3. Too hard and expensive but the look on the opponent's face says it all. Terror weapon. Knowing your defense dice do not matter is demoralizing. "Nice die roll...all 3 evades. That is Three HITS and your ship is dead. Your agility is like..... 0.

I did well in that tournament, top 4. BUT way too hard to get to range 1.

Edited by rilesman

Tactician on Blaster Dash?

I don't think that works.

Try this. 

Dash, Title, Autoblasta, Decoy, EU. 

Jan, VI, plus whatever.

Now Dash is PS10 and rolling 4 dice with that Autoblasta.  Very scary, but you have to be good with Dash and know how to read a table.

Another option is this.

Dash, PTL, Title, Blasta, EU

Wingmen to flavour.

Now you can use all your actions to get into that tasty R1, though this leaves you with no dice mods and leaves you stranded at PS7.  Roark can help with that, but I'd avoid Swarm Tactics because of the R1 restriction. 

Of the two, I'd prefer having Dash fire at a higher PS, but VI doesn't help much since Blasta Dash is costly an init bid is harder.  You could put VI on another Ace and use Decoy again, but Jan's ability is hot **** on Blasta Dash.

I've also had great success with Rexler Brath, PTL and an Autoblaster, but that's more of a 50 point scramble build than an actual match build.