Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

Did Starkiller base jump from system to system or Shoot across the Galaxy?

I don't appreciatr being told to "stfu" and I dislike being made out to be a "fanboy" just because I disagree with your opinion.

Thus I pressed the report button.

Is it that hard to stay civil when discussing something people like and not cursing/namecalling the people themselves?

Reporting is a priviledge we all have... it may even get the developers to log on, read our posts and actually get those splatbooks written earlier.

I've had the Fanboy tag thrown at me....and I am.... to extent. I use the term with tongue planted firmly in cheek,,, An offense was not the intention

Edited by ExpandingUniverse

Got to say while I am not a fan of Abrams, and have some issues with the Force Awakens, it stands like a collossos next to the prequels.

Mind you, and I'll probably get lynched for this, but I prefered Guardians of the galaxy to the force Awakens.

Why would uou ger lynched over that?

GotG was amazing.

well you know, this being a star wars board and all :) plus I was being a bit tongue in check.

Did I say you were uncivil or did I say you were uncivil to me?

So who here was I uncivil to?

I'll humor you and will show uou the courtesy of acting as if I believe you are indeed unaware of what I mean, eventhough your eloquence and general demeanour suggest otherwise.

You are purposefully being inflamatory about a generally well-liked movie on a message board of an RPG set in a franchise that said film was based on. You use words to talk about this movie that are quite objectionable, especially considering the general opinion on this site is not in agreement with you. Hell even outside of this site the general opinion is on the complete other side. Extremely so even.

You know this. I know you know this. You are not an idiot and you have been active here for a while now, so you must know this. Heck, even if you hadn't been active here you would have still known this.

Yet you choose to be mean spirited, inflamatory and downright rude in discussing something you know the vast majority here like. All the while acting as if your opinion is the be all and end all of it.

You make any discussion awckward for those of us that like the film and you are being uncivil, condescending and rude in your attitude. I don't think anyone here would hold it against you if you plainly dislike TFA. I wouldn't. No skin of my nose. But the way in which you carry yourself in expressing your dislike, now that is something I do not appreciate. At all.

Now, I hope my feelings serve me wrong and you actually wanted to know what I meant but I somehow doubt that you are interested in what I had to say.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

I'll humor you and will show uou the courtesy of acting as if I believe you are indeed unaware of what I mean, eventhough your eloquence and general demeanour suggest otherwise.

You are purposefully being inflamatory about a generally well-liked movie on a message board of an RPG set in a franchise that said film was based on. You use words to talk about this movie that are quite objectionable, especially considering the general opinion on this site is not in agreement with you. Hell even outside of this site the general opinion is on the complete other side. Extremely so even.

You know this. I know you know this. You are not an idiot and you have been active here for a while now, so you must know this. Heck, even if you hadn't been active here you would have still known this.

Yet you choose to be mean spirited, inflamatory and downright rude in discussing something you know the vast majority here like. All the while acting as if your opinion is the be all and end all of it.

You make any discussion awckward for those of us that like the film and you are being uncivil, condescending and rude in your attitude. I don't think anyone here would hold it against you if you plainly dislike TFA. I wouldn't. No skin of my nose. But the way in which you carry yourself in expressing your dislike, now that is something I do not appreciate. At all.

Now, I hope my feelings serve me wrong and you actually wanted to know what I meant but I somehow doubt that you are interested in what I had to say.

Frankly, I had no idea where you were going. 

A statement about a movie is not a statement about you, and I'm hardly the only person here who as expressed a partially or fully negative opinion of TFA.  I see no reason to be anything other than honest about just how monumentally disappointing TFA was, as a movie in general, as a work of "speculative fiction", as part of the Star Wars franchise, and as the evident new direction of the franchise.  Some of us were hoping for a new movie that would in spirit represent the best of the post-RotJ EU... and what we got instead was the movie equivalent of the Yuuzhan Vong saga. 

Again for everyone jumping on the JJ hate please find put who Kasdan is and what he means to Star Wars.

I know who Kasdan is. I’m sure he did a lot of good stuff on this movie, but he wasn’t able to save it completely. I do blame Abrams for some of the stupid silly crap that he did in Ep7, one way or the other — either stupid stuff was done by other people and he didn’t stop it, or he did stupid stuff himself.

Either way, that buck stops with him.

With just a few minor tweaks, just a little more story explaining how/why things are happening, the movie could have been so much better.

As it was, for me, it was kind of “Meh”.

It was still better than the prequels, where George let himself get distracted by all the shiny digital technology he was having invented to try to make his dreams come true, but not as good as the original trilogy. At least JJ was able to get some good acting on-screen, unlike what we saw from George in the prequels.

Now, if some of you guys want to insist on throwing around offensive terms and being excessively rude to each other, then I will report the offenders and we’re likely to have this thread locked.

However, if the people in question can manage to keep a civil tongue and discuss this subject like adults, then I’m happy to participate in that process.

The offenders know who they are.

Edited by bradknowles

Frankly, I had no idea where you were going. 

A statement about a movie is not a statement about you, and I'm hardly the only person here who as expressed a partially or fully negative opinion of TFA.  I see no reason to be anything other than honest about just how monumentally disappointing TFA was, as a movie in general, as a work of "speculative fiction", as part of the Star Wars franchise, and as the evident new direction of the franchise.  Some of us were hoping for a new movie that would in spirit represent the best of the post-RotJ EU... and what we got instead was the movie equivalent of the Yuuzhan Vong saga.

So after I, upon your disengeneous request, fully explain my issue with the way you carry yourself here, you decide to both act as if you are still oblivious and double down on your rudeness at the same time? Hiding behind "I am not aline in this" and speaking for "us"? Well, let me be blunt, you are alone in this. You are alone in being uncivil, rude and obnoxious. Take Brad's post for example. He writes about an opinion without being inflammatory and trollish. He shares your opinion yet is able to discuss it without alienating others.

I'm completely lost at this point -- how is a negative opinion of a movie an insult towards any person here?  :huh:

Never mind that while I'm talking about a movie, someone is accusing me of being a liar and a troll... and those are the only personal attacks I see. 

I'm beginning to suspect that I'm being trolled here...

Oh well.

Edited by MaxKilljoy

I am the troll now? The person who just said that it is not about you disliking a movie and whom you then asked how it was about you disliking a movie?

You keep saying that it's supposedly not about disliking the movie, but then when I ask you for an example of how I'm being insulting or rude to you or anyone else here, you keep coming back to what I've said about the movie as your only example of how I've supposedly been rude or insulting to someone.  If it's not my opinion of the movie, and you can't point out where I've said anything rude or insulting to any person here... then what?

:huh:

How about this... I put you back on ignore, and you put me on ignore, because we're obviously posting from different alternate realities, and never the twain shall meet.

Bye.

Edited by MaxKilljoy

You guys are funny. The only difference between the physics of starkiller base and the physics of everything in the original trilogy is that you grew up with and didn't question the physics of the original trilogy.

The physics in the Star Wars universe are just ridiculous and there are things that don't make sense in the plot of the original trilogy. Saying you can't take starkiller base but you can take everything else is like saying: I love everything about Harry Potter but that horcrux thing is just ridiculous because it's totally unrealistic.

Edited by jeffbrown

Look, the Starkiller Base was beyond stupid.  The conservative use of recognizable TIE Fighters, X-Wings, and stormtrooper armor was annoying in its absolute lack of creativity.  The fact Rey was AMAZING AT EVERYTHING got old fast.

That said...  TFA was still a fun, enjoyable Star Wars flick.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a good time.

I mean, I still consider TFA (and Rebels, which I absolutely dislike) to exist in an alternate Star Wars universe - a "new EU" - because of the consistency issues regarding what I believe are gross mischaracterizations of the protagonists from the OT as well as the "things we know from watching the previous six films."

Abrams, however, is indeed really, really good with character development, dialogue, and heart.  That's what saved this film.  Plus, for some of us, it was just great to see Han, Chewie, and the Falcon in action again.

But for some of you to get so wound up over inflammatory criticisms of TFA?  To the point of reporting others here because they disagree with your ABSOLUTE LOVE AND DEVOTION to ALL THINGS STAR WARS?  Well...  C'mon now.

If MaxKilljoy and others weren't going about trying to spell it out for everyone as to why they consider TFA a failure, then I might (might) get the frustration.  But once you're already laid out your bullet points for all to see, you should certainly feel free to switch to more generalized "it's just terrible" comments.

If the thread bothers you so, you can either debate the film's merits without resorting to "hey, Star Wars is space magic!  Who care about thinking?!?"  Or you can just leave it all alone and show you're a mature human being.

If that's what you took away from my posts then I guess you didn't read them or I could not get the point across. Either way I'll drop it since apparently I am holding on to a higher level of discourse than this topic apparently allows for.

Edited by DanteRotterdam

You guys are funny. The only difference between the physics of starkiller base and the physics of everything in the original trilogy is that you grew up with and didn't question the physics of the original trilogy.

The physics in the Star Wars universe are just ridiculous and there are things that don't make sense in the plot of the original trilogy. Saying you can't take starkiller base but you can take everything else is like saying: I love everything about Harry Potter but that horcrux thing is just ridiculous because it's totally unrealistic.

So once it's not hardcore reality-based physics, we're supposed to just shut off all thinking capacity and watch in brainless glee?  We're supposed to ignore poor characterization and sloppy storycraft and slapdash worldbuilding "because space magic"?  Once we don't question any one thing, we're then "hypocrits" for questioning anything else?   Once there's even one fantastic element, then internal coherence and consistency can go out the window? 

It's one thing to suspend your disbelief... it's another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead

Edited by MaxKilljoy

Rey's development was fine. I mean, the reason she had to develop so quickly was because she was in a do or die situation. Same that Luke was able to pull off a one of a kind trickshot in his do or die situation. The development and banter side of things, and the pace of the action was fantastic.It was familar, but I think thats largely because they needed a New, new hope to draw new crowds in hook and sinker.

Otherwise I agree with the general plot. The one thing that really bugged me was the overenthusiastic focus on Luke's importance, especially in the first part of the movie. I really don't think it could have hurt at all to have made the Starkiller base the orignal idea why Poe was dispatched, only then to also come across the other bit of information that they were searching for. That way a namedrop of a base would slowly be built up until it's firing, and probably would have made the entire experience flow a little better.

Overall I enjoyed it overall despite it not bringing anything new to the table. It was the kind of kick starter that was designed to measure interest.

Edited by Lordbiscuit

So after a couple of months to digest the new movie, I'm going to rate it a "meh". It wasn't bad, it was fun, but it doesn't stand up well once the honeymoon is over. Thinking about the rankings of the previous 6, I'm putting it ever so slightly above Phantom Menace, slightly below Clones and waaaaay below everything else.

We'll put it this way - I saw the movie twice in the theater, once opening day in the SuperDuper Marathon and once with my mother after I had gotten some sleep - and that's it. But after that? Every time I thought about going to see it again, I would go "naw, the theater is so far away" or "the show time is too late" or any number of excuses. The movie did not compel me to get off my ass a third time. I might get around to picking up the DVD if I find a good price for it come Black Friday.

For me to do that to a Star Wars movie back in the day would have been unthinkable for me. But here? I'm just not motivated.

Edited by Desslok

So once it's not hardcore reality-based physics, we're supposed to just shut off all thinking capacity and watch in brainless glee?  We're supposed to ignore poor characterization and sloppy storycraft and slapdash worldbuilding "because space magic"?  Once we don't question any one thing, we're then "hypocrits" for questioning anything else?   Once there's even one fantastic element, then internal coherence and consistency can go out the window? 

It's one thing to suspend your disbelief... it's another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead

I just think that if the original trilogy came out now, you'd be saying the same thing about that.  

I myself have to hang my disbelief by the neck until its dead for a lot of things in the star wars universe.  Whenever I see the space battles with all of the sound effects and maneuvers, lightsaber battles, laser guns.  There are a lot of plot holes (but then there is a lot of plot holes in a lot of movies I like).    I went to see the movie with a high school Physics teacher, he enjoyed it.  Suspension of disbelief in a major way is part of the universe. Starkiller base just seems like an arbitrary line in the sand to me when you are already so far down the rabbit hole. 

I'm okay with spending some time in an alternate universe in which the laws of physics behave far far differently as long as I enjoy my time while I'm there.  

If you didn't like the story or characters then that's really just a matter of opinion and I can respect that.  I myself enjoyed stepping back into the star wars universe where a lot of things don't really make sense.  

After all of the love-hate-meh, I wonder how many of us are already very aware of the DVD/Blu-ray release date coming up? :)

Me!!

It may not have been the best, but I'm willing to buy it and watch it, and then proceed to cosplay every character in it! 

Like I said earlier, the story may not have been the greatest, but I loved the character development.

I find it interesting how divisive the movie was. Everyone I know has firmly been in "I freakin' loved this movie" or "This movie was pretty meh". 

Here, how about something we can ALL get behind as awesome: a Darth Vader toothpick dispenser!

aliub6dnlmj4vpptt1xj.jpg

frpufmxz87yu0lw6trpg.jpg

uozsc61wyhqo7uon3bzt.jpgWh

Alright, Desslok. Spit it out. Where do you find these things?