Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

Did Starkiller base jump from system to system or Shoot across the Galaxy?

Did Starkiller Base shoot other systems from across the Galaxy or jump from system to system?

Could it drain stars in other systems from across the Galaxy or did it have to be in the system of the star/sun it was draining?

Wouldn`t draining a system`s star be just as effective as shooting a bunch of planets in a system? And wouldn`t that make for a more unique and cool take on this old rewamped Death Star story?

I guess hyperspace and hyperdrives are imvolved someghow....

It moves.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/683418491802664960

And draining a sun/star and moving into place takes time. More than enough time for an assault to be led or for people to evacuate, not to mention everyone should be relatively fine if they just hop into their starships and get out of a planet's orbit before a sun is completely drained and then they could freely move to another system.

Edited by Lathrop

It moves.

And draining a sun/star and moving into place takes time. More than enough time for an assault to be led or for people to evacuate, not to mention everyone should be relatively fine if they just hop into their starships and get out of a planet's orbit before a sun is completely drained and then they could freely move to another system.

Yes, they would probably have to jump before the sun burns out. Just drain the sun for as much as it can take, then jump and leave it to die

I watched the movie with my father, and this was one of the most confusing parts of the movie for us

There definitely should have been a scene showing the first star being depleted. Then later another showing its relocation method or at least officers discussing which star to move to.

It moves.

Huh. Everything Star Wars has established about planets and their effects on Hyperspace would indicate that slapping a hyperdrive on a planet wouldn't work. Surely at that point you could make a better Death Star by just building some speed and flying your planet into the target. I would have thought the superlaser would require more effort and resources than the hyperdrive.

Also, this was absolutely not shown in the film, and rather looks like a big plot hole.

It moves.

Huh. Everything Star Wars has established about planets and their effects on Hyperspace would indicate that slapping a hyperdrive on a planet wouldn't work. Surely at that point you could make a better Death Star by just building some speed and flying your planet into the target. I would have thought the superlaser would require more effort and resources than the hyperdrive.

Also, this was absolutely not shown in the film, and rather looks like a big plot hole.

It wasn't in the novelization either. In the novel, it fires from the system it is in and the shot goes through hyperspace.

Maybe they deliberately made it a mystery... I know a lot of scenes explaining Leia's plan to get the New Republic to acknowledge the existence of the New Order in the unknown regions and sending the girl we see right before the planets are blow up, to negotiate. Maybe they deleted some scenes explaining the Base too..

Edited by RodianClone

Honestly it seems more to me like it was a plot hole nobody bothered to address when they were making the film, but since it's so obvious now Pablo Hidalgo is doing his job and providing an in-universe explanation. Star Wars has always been full of post facto explanations better thought out than the source material.

Not so much a plot hole as fans demanding an explanation for every thing. All we really need to know in a story and plot sense is that starkiller base drain suns and destroy star systems. But I get why fans want to know more! IT might make more sense to drain stars from close systems in the unknown regions, but If they officially say it was moving, I guess I'm ok with that too..

Huh. Everything Star Wars has established about planets and their effects on Hyperspace would indicate that slapping a hyperdrive on a planet wouldn't work.

Zonoma Sekot has a hyperdrive. Or had one, at least, before The Great Disney Canon Wipe.

Surely at that point you could make a better Death Star by just building some speed and flying your planet into the target. I would have thought the superlaser would require more effort and resources than the hyperdrive.

For relatively modern societies that can travel in hyperspace, large objects moving at high velocity in normal space are relatively easy to spot, and deal with years, decades, or centuries before they actually arrive.

Now, if you can show up suddenly without being discovered, and then start using large mass-drivers at close range, that’s much more terrifying.

For me, one of the biggest plot holes was how people could see the blasts moving through hyperspace, and how close all the planets were that were being blown up.

In the novelization the Starkiller weapon doesn't get it's power from stars but from "Dark Energy", like dark matter, that is basically unlimited but widely diffused. The darkening of the sky, as seen from the base, is because of the amount of dark energy gathered was blocking the starlight. I'm guessing JJ thought that was too sciencey and went for the cheap shot of draining stars rather than explain how it worked.

In the novelization the Starkiller weapon doesn't get it's power from stars but from "Dark Energy", like dark matter, that is basically unlimited but widely diffused. The darkening of the sky, as seen from the base, is because of the amount of dark energy gathered was blocking the starlight. I'm guessing JJ thought that was too sciencey and went for the cheap shot of draining stars rather than explain how it worked.

Or the script was written and filmed and the novelist added other details that weren't in the script at all.

Or the script was written and filmed and the novelist added other details that weren't in the script at all.

Alan Dean Foster worked from an earlier version of the script. It definitely wasn't the shooting script that Abrams used.

Alan Dean Foster worked from an earlier version of the script. It definitely wasn't the shooting script that Abrams used.

The dark energy created by draining a star then?