Sign in to follow this  
Cmacaulay

Somebody sell me on The Inquisitor (or the TAP in general)

I disagree about PTL stiffing Rudor since he can trigger it off his free action. Use TL and free evade for his normal action and save PTL for his ability trigger giving him an action economy of 4 actions a turn. Also you can fly him a little ballsier as your opponent will be even more hesitant to shoot him. Or it just gIves him flexibility, maybe you really need to arc dodges that turn or get into a range 1 TLT bubble. He doesn't always need his pilot ability and I feel that PTL gives him a lot of flexibility.

Exactly!  I'm more likely to put PTL on Rudor than The Inquisitor because of this.  TLT shoots him?  Boost+barrel roll = no second shot.  High PS ace takes R3 shot at you?  Boost + Barrel Roll = R1/2 return shot.
I'm not completely convinced he will perform as I'm hoping but I definitely want to test him out as an ace hunter since he will always get the last reposition provided he gets shot at. He gets to barrel roll and boost even after PS11 vader! While ideally also having a target lock and evade. I want to try him with prockets as well for very similar reason. Barrel roll or boost to range 1 and then focus to throw a TL'd procket into an Ace! All theory for now but I'll get to test it out some tonight :D is it weird that I'm more excited for Rudor then I am the Inquisitor?

I disagree about PTL stiffing Rudor since he can trigger it off his free action. Use TL and free evade for his normal action and save PTL for his ability trigger giving him an action economy of 4 actions a turn. Also you can fly him a little ballsier as your opponent will be even more hesitant to shoot him. Or it just gIves him flexibility, maybe you really need to arc dodges that turn or get into a range 1 TLT bubble. He doesn't always need his pilot ability and I feel that PTL gives him a lot of flexibility.

Exactly!  I'm more likely to put PTL on Rudor than The Inquisitor because of this.  TLT shoots him?  Boost+barrel roll = no second shot.  High PS ace takes R3 shot at you?  Boost + Barrel Roll = R1/2 return shot.
I'm not completely convinced he will perform as I'm hoping but I definitely want to test him out as an ace hunter since he will always get the last reposition provided he gets shot at. He gets to barrel roll and boost even after PS11 vader! While ideally also having a target lock and evade. I want to try him with prockets as well for very similar reason. Barrel roll or boost to range 1 and then focus to throw a TL'd procket into an Ace! All theory for now but I'll get to test it out some tonight :D is it weird that I'm more excited for Rudor then I am the Inquisitor?

Not at all.  I'm excited for all four pilots!  I have ideas for all of them and I become the most excited over which ever one I'm currently theory listing.

That should certainly sell anyone on the inquisitor's ACE hunting ability.  I just can't decide if I want Juke or VI more!

I love the fact that PTL is a distant third choice at best.

I'm not sold on Rudor outside of TLT shut down shenanigans.  TLT's are everywhere but is taking ALL his actions good enough against the rest?  His action doesn't interrupt regular attacks and he only has 4HP so a lot of the time he's dead before he gets all those extra actions. 

Yeah, I'd really love for the folks that were so adamant about the ruling on this card to come back and see how silly they were.

And then maybe learn to fly a little more casually RE: unreleased products.

Except that those people were, y'know, spot on.

FFG had to errata a card, add an entirely new section to the rules, and put an entry in The Inquisitor's FAQ to make him turn off Autothrusters.

The people who argued against it were quite correctly interpreting the rules as they stood at the time. That FFG changed them isn't their fault.

Arguing that the company that made the game is wrong...don't know what to tell you... you're still wrong.

Arguing that your argument was was right against proof it's not... don't know what to tell you...you're still wrong.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result and all that.

That should certainly sell anyone on the inquisitor's ACE hunting ability.  I just can't decide if I want Juke or VI more!

I love the fact that PTL is a distant third choice at best.

I'm not sold on Rudor outside of TLT shut down shenanigans.  TLT's are everywhere but is taking ALL his actions good enough against the rest?  His action doesn't interrupt regular attacks and he only has 4HP so a lot of the time he's dead before he gets all those extra actions. 

The thing with the Inquisitor is that he doesn't NEED PTL thanks to his ability.  His only limitation is a lack of a 1 forward.  He'll want to stay at R3 of his ace pray.  That way when they shoot first, The Inquisitor will enjoy his AT and an extra defense dice, but the ace will not get the same advantage.  It's very easy to keep a ship in arc at this range.  PTL will make it even easier, but I'm leaning toward Juke at the moment.

Can't wait to finally table this ship!

8183abff1ee15a31aa92d8e821fe274a.jpg

It actually means "to work with" in Britain, whereas in America its "To put off to another meeting".

So, crossing the Atlantic basically reverses the meaning of the word.

I thought that in X-Wing terms, to table was to completely wipe out all of their ships while losing none of your own. Right? Edited by tortugatron

Can't wait to finally table this ship!

8183abff1ee15a31aa92d8e821fe274a.jpg
It actually means "to work with" in Britain, whereas in America its "To put off to another meeting".

So, crossing the Atlantic basically reverses the meaning of the word.

I thought that in X-Wing terms, to table was to completely wipe out all of their ships while losing none of your own. Right?

To table your opponent means you achieved a one-sided victory.  Correct.

Rudor also messes with ships using gunner and the brobot equivalent pretty fiercely. Particularly with HLC IGs, they take a range two shot on him and he dodges then boosts and/or barrel rolls into range one preventing the second shot and setting himself up to return fire with an extra dice.

Here's a question: can you re-target lock something you already have a target on? Or do I have to target lock something else to clear a lock?

Basically, can I get my free evade even if chasing a ship I already have locked, by re-locking?

Edit: for clarification, I don't mean multiple locks on the same ship.

Edited by Goseki1

Yes, you can reacquire the target lock on the same ship every single turn if you want.

Sorry just to double check:

I target lock a ship, get my evade token, roll my dice and don't use the target lock to reroll as I got good dice.

Next round he moves then I move and am still behind him.

I can declare him as the target of a target lock, and get my evade token, even though he has an existing target lock from me on him?

Edit:I guess the rules say you can spend a target lock and roll 0 Dice so is maybe a moot point anyway...

Edited by Goseki1

Yes you can target lock something which you already have target locked. 

A ship can acquire a new target lock on a ship that it already has locked; the old target lock is removed.

Which means you get your evade every turn as long as something is within range 3 when it's time for your actions and you take that TL action again.

I must confess that I have tried the best I could to convince everyone that the list on my sig is crazy fun and might work occasionally...but then the Triple U-Boat and their torpedoes sank my TAP ideas so nevermind.

Nothing to see here, move along. :ph34r:

I'm not implying that Triple Contracted Scouts are OP. At least I haven't flown with or against them yet to make any judgement.

Edited by Grivoire

I must confess that I have tried the best I could to convince everyone that the list on my sig is crazy fun and might work occasionally...but then the Triple U-Boat and their torpedoes sank my TAP ideas so nevermind.

I'm not implying that Triple Contracted Scouts are OP. At least I haven't flown with or against them yet to make any judgement.

The bigger issue of your 5 Sienar Test Pilots is that Proton Rockets require a focus and not a target lock to shoot.

Yes, you can reacquire the target lock on the same ship every single turn if you want.

I target lock a ship, get my evade token, roll my dice and don't use the target lock to reroll as I got good dice.

I can declare him as the target of a target lock, and get my evade token, even though he has an existing target lock from me on him?

Edit:I guess the rules say you can spend a target lock and roll 0 Dice so is maybe a moot point anyway...

Yes, you can relock a ship you've already locked.

Not being able to was an utterly unnecessary Dutch and Kagi nerf and I have no idea what daft reasoning was behind the original ruling.

Speaking of Scouts; isn't a Baron of the Empire a pretty decent foil? 22 points with Autothrusters and the title, with EPT to taste. At PS4 it can boost/roll out of their arcs, and with three greens, thrusters and maybe an evade it doesn't care all that much about a 2-dice turret. Sure, it'll take it a while to bring one down, but I don't really see how they can shake a small ship with all those green 1s.

A Carnor Jax/Omega Leader/Dark Curse/Baron of the Empire list should give a triple Scout list fits.

Edited by Okapi

The bigger issue of your 5 Sienar Test Pilots is that Proton Rockets require a focus and not a target lock to shoot.

Yeah. The plan is to target lock at range 3 and then close in to focus. Wishful thinking, I know, I know. 

Speaking of Scouts; isn't a Baron of the Empire a pretty decent foil? 22 points with Autothrusters and the title, with EPT to taste. At PS4 it can boost/roll out of their arcs, and with three greens, thrusters and maybe an evade it doesn't care all that much about a 2-dice turret. Sure, it'll take it a while to bring one down, but I don't really see how they can shake a small ship with all those green 1s.

A Carnor Jax/Omega Leader/Dark Curse/Baron of the Empire list should give a triple Scout list fits.

Yes they're good. In fact, I'm still of the opinion that a TAP and its pilots are very good! I just reduced the number of my order from 5 to 4  :P. IMO the generics are superior to A-wing's for exactly the same costs before chardaan.

His ability does seem to cancel AT.

Autothrusters doesn't care what the range of the attack is. What matters is the distance of the attacker from the defender. The Inquisitor's ability only affects the range of his attack.

I do not believe you are correct.  The attack is at R1.  The range is 1 no matter where the models are.

Yes, you can relock a ship you've already locked.

Not being able to was an utterly unnecessary Dutch and Kagi nerf and I have no idea what daft reasoning was behind the original ruling.

I'm just thinking.....you can do the same action of TLing a ship you already have a TL on to get the free Evade, but....why don't you just do an Evade action and keep the TL?

I'm just thinking.....you can do the same action of TLing a ship you already have a TL on to get the free Evade, but....why don't you just do an Evade action and keep the TL?

The TAP does not have the evade action in its action bar.

The TAP does not have the evade action in its action bar.

Shazbot!  I'm blind....

Target lock as soon as you can to get the lock in, and your evade. Next turn, zoom into position, take a focus. Fire ALL THE THINGS at your target with TL, Focus, and Chips. Endure a lot of cursing from your opponent.

I'm running the 5 TAP procket list against some Ghost lists later this week, as well as a 3 TAP procket list alongside Vessery. We'll see just how often that plan works out soon enough (in theory, that's an OTK against the Ghost...).

Edited by NakedDex