Sign in to follow this  
Nitratas

Bossk - thoughts?

I don't play at the top tables, but I dare say he is very good. However, he is 1) slow and 2) doesn't have much range. I think you need to pack a bit of range bonus to field him. I definitely think Prey On The Weak (+1 Acc and P1) would benefit him alot. I used him with Primary Target recently, and that rocked. Same with the +2 Range card.

He is amazing if used at the right time.  If you play like he's indestructable, he will let you down, if he gets stunned before he activates, he can be useless, if you activate him too soon, he can be wiped off the mat.  I think he is actually pretty good and balanced.  He's a lotta good when used well, but he is only one bounty hunter, so troops can take him down, light sabers can take him down.  White dice can block his gun and he can roll blanks and die. The Eternal Wheel keeps on spinning.

If you're playing Bossk, then dude...dude...I just have one word: thePartingBlowcommandcard.  ^_^

My son used him in a tournament last weekend.  Bossk activated and attacked.  Then an adjacent enemy tried to move away, and Bossk used Parting Blow.  Gains a stun.  End of round, discards the Stun via Regeneration.  "...'Cause that's how I roll..."  he said!  :ph34r:  He's such a dude!  (My son, that is!)

I think Bossk is definitely worth his 8 points.  He hits like a truck with his RG attack dice and automatic +2 dmg, and his virtual Grenade ability.  He forces your opponent to change the way that he plays his squad, because IndFire can happen at any time.  

The difficulty is that it's currently pretty hard to build a squad around Bossk.  Under Duress with Trandos or other strain-squads provide great synergy, but the strain mechanic isn't quite powerful enough yet (opponents will often just take the Strain as damage, especially if the target is likely to die in the attack anyway), and Trandos are a bit too fragile for their cost (which is odd when you consider that they're Trandos!).  Elite Wing Guards, Bossk, Under Duress...that's 19 points with good strain application (IndFire and Keep the Peace), so then it's a matter of what else to use in the squad, and sometimes it can be hard to get everything you need.  Gideon/3P0?  eNexu?  Perhaps the new Jabba will help?  I think Bossk will really start to shine once he gets more synergistic squad-building options to work with.  I'd love to see an Attachment that gives a boost to Trandoshans, because I'd love for an all-Trando squad to be competitive...but right now it's just too slow and too fragile.

The other thing with Bossk, which is also true for the Inquisitor and will be true for Jedi Luke too: You can't just leave him out there all round to get hammered on.  Use him near the end of the round, to move up and hit something hard or use Indiscriminate Fire, and perhaps he'll take some damage back (which he can Regenerate), then use him first thing next round and move him away.  Don't just throw him in there to start the round and expect him to live until the end of the round so that he can Regenerate...a smart opponent will just focus all his firepower on Bossk, and there's virtually no way he'll survive.  Likewise, if a smart opponent has just a couple of attacks left to make in a round, he'll likely ignore Bossk, knowing that it will be sub-optimal to attack Bossk that round unless he can drop him for sure (or perhaps follow up with a finishing blow the next round with Initiative).  So if you think of his Regenerate ability as more of a deterrent than an insurance policy, I think you'll probably get more value out of him.  

One last thing: As for any White die piece right now, it's often dangerous to even hope for a Dodge, since the ~: Deadly ability and the HK's reroll ability nerf it pretty hard.  I played rHKs and the Inquisitor at GenCon, and I didn't fear the White die all day.  Granted, there was one time in my Top 8 game with Brian V when my HK attacked his Infiltrator, who rolled a Dodge, and then on the reroll got another Dodge.  That changed the game, but it was also an extremely unlikely occurrence, and you can bet that Brian wasn't banking on it.

Edited by thereisnotry