Sign in to follow this  
Nitratas

Bossk - thoughts?

Bossk:

8 Points

10 HP | Speed 4 | White die defense | Red+Green attack

Innate: 1 block, +2 damage, +2 acuracy

Surge: Pierce 2

Special Action: In...... Fire: Choose a space within 3 spaces and in your line of sight. Then, roll 1 green die. Each figure on or adjacent to that space suffers damage equal to the damage results and strain equal to the surge results.

Regenerate: At the end of each round recover 2 dmg and discard all harmful conditions.

So, what do you think? Seems to me like one hell of a unit for 8 points

"Indescriminate fire" is the action.

I think he is amazing. With 10 health and the block, the regen should trigger several times, giving him effectively vader levels of durability. Flat bonus to damage on his attack AND he gets to toss a small grenade for auto damage to multiple figs. The strain will either translate as damage or VERY quickly empty the opponent' socom and deck.

He's 100% going in to my Merc squad.  This might be the best value you can get for 8 points since the Royal Gaurds pre-eratta.

But what the Marcs need now is cheap support units to help them move around and control the battlefield so they don't have to splash Gideon.  The Ugnaught might help here but I'm hoping for a bit more.  The new Wing Guards will also help by hopefully being better fodder than Hired Guns.

By the way, the new Wing Gaurds look comparable to the basic Rebel/Storm Trooper assuming they have 3 health and you get a squad of 3 for 6 points.

Wing Guard - 6 Points - 2 Reinforce - Guardian Trooper

Surge: +1 Damage
Surge: Recover 1 Damage

Keep the Peace: When a hostile figure declares an attack targeting a space adjacent to you {something} does not contain a friendly {something} you may suffer 1 Strain. If you do the attacker Suffers 1 Strain. Limit 1 Keep the Peace per attack.

swi24_ugnaught-tinkerer.png

Edited by nickv2002

Bossk is amazing. 

White dice for Dodges, innate block and regens. He'll be tough as nails. 

innate +2 damage and surge for pierce 2 - he lays down the hurt. 

On top of that he can attack 'twice' with the grenade ability. 

Right now he seems pretty comparable in power to Fett and is clearly better than IG and yet is 5 and 4 points cheaper! 

Bossk is right around where he needs to be for both campaign and skirmish.  He's competing against 4 storm troopers in points, and against swarms he's probably slightly better and against heavy hitters he's slightly worse.  In campaign he can do strain damage and remove conditions which will usually let him pull his weight even against 4 heavy hitting heroes.

Right now he seems pretty comparable in power to Fett and is clearly better than IG and yet is 5 and 4 points cheaper! 

Fett is overpointed, IG-88 is grossly overpointed.  Bossk is right where he should be.

I wonder if Dengar + Bossk could be a good basis for a well-rounded squad. Bossk is good alround and has crowd-control, Dengar is a little specialized by has single target control. So at 15 points you get both to begin your list. If you add Explosive Weapons to Dengar, he double-down as crowd control as well.

Fett is overpointed, IG-88 is grossly overpointed.  Bossk is right where he should be.

Ehh, I'd say Boba is right where he needs to be. He's the only double digit figure besides Vader that can make up his cost. 3 dice attack, Free block evade and he can choose to recover. Bossk will give him a run on durability, though. Probably a reason Bossk seems so awesome at only 8 points, trying to give Boba some competition.

Ehh, I'd say Boba is right where he needs to be. He's the only double digit figure besides Vader that can make up his cost. 3 dice attack, Free block evade and he can choose to recover. Bossk will give him a run on durability, though. Probably a reason Bossk seems so awesome at only 8 points, trying to give Boba some competition.

I'd rather have 2 eProbe Droids or 2 eOfficer and blow the 3 extra points on liquor and sabacc.  He's very durable, but his damage is minuscule compared to 2 squads of troopers which cost less.  Thanks to that durability he isn't as overpointed as IG-88 is, but he is still probably a couple points over where he should be.

I've had Fett's crazy speed and mobility allow me to score multiple VPs in Skirmish before my opponent could even reach the zone to contest.  That alone made his points well worth it, Plus he's accurate at distance and can easily keep his distance by moving in 3, shooting, and moving back 3, usually out of sight.  It may be the maps that most determine if he is worth the points but I've loved him.  

You don't think Luke is worth his value?

You've never used or played against the Royal Guard Champion then I take it? 

Boba is about 1 point too many. His speed and survivability is excellent but he just doesn't do enough damage without Mandalorian Tactics. The problem with Boba is that the Royal Guard Champion does more damage, is just as fast (but without mobile), has better surge abilities and has 2 defense dice. All for 2 more points. Different factions obviously, and the RGC benefits from some officer moves a lot more than Boba would, but still.... 

Dengar is a bit pricy, but he does add some great utility. Mercs don't have easy access to stuns and Punishing Strike is great with a nexu, though again over priced at 2 pts since it's only once per turn.

IG88 should be awesome with a built in block. Good damage, awesome recover and attacking twice.... but for some reason he just feels too soft. Maybe if he could shoot through models like the HKs, or if he had a 3 dice attack and was another 1 or 2 points more expensive... I think his biggest problem is that he needs to be close to do good damage... and when he's close, he dies. 

As for Bossk. I love him. unmitigated grenade damage, free automatic recover. great passive abilities, not reliant on surges.... 10 health might be a bit low on someone who has to be front and center, but he's priced well.

I think FFG has been getting the pricing spot on for the last few releases.  

I had IG-88 in campaign in ideal conditions and he still couldn't make up his points.

I had sharpshooter for +1 accuracy and he was standing beside Biv allowing me to use 2 red.  He had focus from last round because he was standing beside Sorin.  He had the agenda going that allowed him to use surge abilities twice.  He had the Strike Force attachment to allow a re-roll.  I had Single Minded to allow that reroll to be the side of my choosing.  I had Find Weakness for +1 pierce on all attacks.

Even getting a 10 pierce 1 shot in on one round, and then using his double surge twice next round to recover 6 wounds on one shot, he still ended up dying and not being worth the 12 points I wasted on him.

Maybe Storm Troopers are too cheap at 6, but whatever it is, 12 points for him is just ridiculous.

Anything in double digit cost needs to have at least one of 2 die defense or 3 die attack if not both, which IG lacks, on top of another defensive or offensive ability, which he does at least have with assault.

Edited by Union

I had IG-88 in campaign in ideal conditions and he still couldn't make up his points.

I had sharpshooter for +1 accuracy and he was standing beside Biv allowing me to use 2 red.  He had focus from last round because he was standing beside Sorin.  He had the agenda going that allowed him to use surge abilities twice.  He had the Strike Force attachment to allow a re-roll.  I had Single Minded to allow that reroll to be the side of my choosing.  I had Find Weakness for +1 pierce on all attacks.

Even getting a 10 pierce 1 shot in on one round, and then using his double surge twice next round to recover 6 wounds on one shot, he still ended up dying and not being worth the 12 points I wasted on him.

Maybe Storm Troopers are too cheap at 6, but whatever it is, 12 points for him is just ridiculous.

Anything in double digit cost needs to have at least one of 2 die defense or 3 die attack if not both, which IG lacks, on top of another defensive or offensive ability, which he does at least have with assault.

This is about skirmish not campaign. 

He's a completely different beast in skirmish. 

For starters the heroes aren't nearly as tooled up and hard to kill in skirmish as they are in campaign (especially later). 

Secondly, you don't get any of the special command cards in campaign. In skirmish, IG-88 can use Overdrive to shoot three times, then use his command card to activate again and shoot twice, then using something like To the Limit to attack one more time. With the right combo he can attack 6 times in one turn. Which makes his recover and strain dealing abilities heaps more relevant.

He's quite tricky to use and you kind of need to build the list around him, but he can be a beast. Also much harder to one shot him in skirmish which makes his 2 attacks with recover very dangerous. 

You can't compare the campaign play to skirmish play.  It's a completely different beast. 

I feel like I'm having a wildly different experience with Boba Fett than about half the people in here, maybe it's my play group, maybe my dice are better than I think, but for the most part he seems to be a well-oiled machine for me. Most often I play a list with RGC and a few sets of troopers, and really doesn't seem all that one-sided provided you don't run him in and try to duke it out, I mean the rest of my list carries their weight, but Boba tends to pick off the weak for me (troopers/officers), while the rest of my team tries to grind down the beefier ones so he can swoop in for the kill. I usually have an easier time with RGC than luke, though most of that is leia's fault any more I suppose

I feel like I'm having a wildly different experience with Boba Fett than about half the people in here, maybe it's my play group, maybe my dice are better than I think, but for the most part he seems to be a well-oiled machine for me. Most often I play a list with RGC and a few sets of troopers, and really doesn't seem all that one-sided provided you don't run him in and try to duke it out, I mean the rest of my list carries their weight, but Boba tends to pick off the weak for me (troopers/officers), while the rest of my team tries to grind down the beefier ones so he can swoop in for the kill. I usually have an easier time with RGC than luke, though most of that is leia's fault any more I suppose

He is wicked good with Leia/Gideon. The extra attack and focus cant be beat. This true with anyone, but the fact he can mobile move 6 spaces with 4 attack dice makes him a great machine.

~D

To get back to Bossk thoughts: See my comment about his great synergy with To The Limit (a zero point command card):

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/203235-weekly-skirmish-strategy-1/#entry2129459

I'm probably not the first to notice this but haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere so this seems like a good place to highlight:

To the Limit + Bossk (from the upcoming Bespin Gambit) is a great combo.  It allows you to move, shoot, and then Indiscriminate Fire all in one activation which is pretty good by itself, but then, because Bossk is awesome, he removes the Stun at the end of the round.  No downside!  It seems almost as powerful as a cards normally restricted to a single character.

On paper it looks solid, I won't lie looks like it has potential, but be careful you don’t get caught out the intricacies of the rules around the card.

To use the card you will need to Move (using all movement points, or you will lose the remaining ones) - Indiscriminate fire - Play to the limit - Attack - get stunned in that specific order. You can't attack then move or move then attack as your first 2 actions as neither trigger the ability to use to the limit.

Due to the wording of To the limit you have to play it directly after using a special ability so you have to use indiscriminate fire and then to the limit straight afterwards. If you choose the movement action you become stunned and can't use the movement points you just gained (unless of course you have rally as well but that seems quite inefficient usage of command cards).

Still very good if your happy to move into the fray, indiscriminate fire then shoot (becoming stunned) as long as you can take a beating from whatever it was you ran towards.

Edited by nickv2002

I'm disappointed that Bossk will be able to indiscriminate fire himself, just like Vadar can force lightning himself; yeah, you don't need to do it yourself but it's possible and just doesn't make any sense, especially so since you require LoS to the targeted space. Why can't you blast 3 guys standing on the space next to you without also shooting yourself in the foot?

Other than that one minor gripe with gameyness, I'm looking forward to trying out Bossk.  He seems pretty good for a unique figure and he provides some very useful abilities to the mercs; namely, a blast ability and the ability to recover.

I'm disappointed that Bossk will be able to indiscriminate fire himself, just like Vadar can force lightning himself; yeah, you don't need to do it yourself but it's possible and just doesn't make any sense, especially so since you require LoS to the targeted space. Why can't you blast 3 guys standing on the space next to you without also shooting yourself in the foot?

Other than that one minor gripe with gameyness, I'm looking forward to trying out Bossk.  He seems pretty good for a unique figure and he provides some very useful abilities to the mercs; namely, a blast ability and the ability to recover.

Well it is indiscriminate.... 

I don't know exactly what type of gun he has but I imagine it might have explosive shells or lots of pellets like a shotgun with a risk of ricochets etc... 

Balance.

Powerful abilities should often have a downside.  It keeps the cost reaspnable. Sometimes developers over estimate what makes a fair downside, limiting its play, but in this case, I think they hit the mark.  Seems more like an explosive, like the Grenadier Command Card, but I suppose not because its Indiscriminate Fire.  Seems pretty solid anyway, if you ask me.