Sign in to follow this  
The Silver King

Help Choosing Which Scum Large Ship To Buy?

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble figuring out what large Scum ship to add to my next large online purchase, and I was hoping you guys could help me. The two goals that I want to achieve with this purchase are: Increase the variety and strength of my Scum Faction collection and Widen my current pool of upgrade cards for all three of my factions.

I am the only supplier of X-Wing with my two gaming groups, so basically what is in my signature is what I currently have to play with, in case you guys wanted to know what I owned and how this purchase would fit into the rest of my collection. Anyways, here are the options below:

-Punishing One

-Hound's Tooth

-Slave I

I would have to go with the Slave I out of those. Boba Fett is iconic and very strong for the Scum. Better yet, he's originally for the Empire so you can use him (and Kath) for both factions. Certainly the best when it comes to adding variety.  

That being said, I do love Hound's tooth. It's horrendously ugly, but that's what makes it so fun to fly! I'm sure the Punishing One will also do very well once it's out as it gives the Scum its first naturally turreted ship and is coming with all sorts of goodies in the way of upgrades.

Hope that helps.  :)

All excellent choices. I personally like the hounds tooth best as the other factions have nothing like it. plus it comes with excellent upgrades such as engine upgrade and lone wolf. The Bossk crew card is useful (and currently under-utilised) too.

The punishing one interests me less as a ship but has a lot of excellent unique scum upgrades.

Punishing One gives you really good upgrades, but so does the Hounds Tooth. The Firespray as a whole is rather underwhelming, although Boba is a good PS10 option for both Imperials and Scum. Since you already own Engine Upgrade from the Falcon you are probably best of with the Punishing One. That one has the added benefit of being viable in several configurations, one of which is focused on using Torpedoes, which is really exciting!

I'd go with the Punishing One. It's fairly self contained in terms of including most of the cards you'd want to run a JumpMaster 5000 effectively right out of the box, while also including a number of very strong upgrade cards that will be staples for Scum moving forward. It's also a ship that functions well over a wide points level - you can run a stripped down version for 25 points and it's worth it. You can also run it fully loaded at ~60 points and still get your points' worth. So you'll be able to run a large variety of lists that it can slot into.

The Hound's Tooth is about to get much better, but the expansion pack itself doesn't contain all of the cards you'd want to run it at its best - you're going to want the crew from Punishing One and Mist Hunter to get the most out of it.

The Slave I has some key cards that you don't have (HLC, Gunner, Stealth Device) but 1) you can get those elsewhere and 2) the ship itself is a bit tricky to fly.  

Since you are building up variety then I would get the Firespray for the dual playability in both Scum and Empire and it's an iconic ahip everyone knows and may want to play. As previously mentioned it has some great upgrade cards, gunner, hlc, shield upgrade, stealth device. This alone makes it a beťter choice over the other two and fulfills your requirement of fleet building.

The YV 666 is a good ship being used in a lot of well placed tournament lists now. It has some good scum related crew and illicit upgrades. It's more scummy than the Firespray. It would be my second choice.

Firespray does give iconic ship to the game and to both sides.  It does have that.

Jumpmaster gives Dengar, Guidance Chip, Rage, and the Dengar crew.  Those are all good, but if it's just you guys, why not just proxy cards, anyways?  

I'd go with Dengar, but I just like him for some reason.  No real bad choice.

Assuming your scum Ys and Z95s came from the Most Wanted expansion, I'd go for Slave 1 first as you'll already have the scum pilots. Like others have said, it's a cross-faction ship and will give you more variety across your whole collection.

After that, I'd personally go for the Punishing One (when it's finally available...) and then the Hounds Tooth.

Given your circumstances, I'd go for the Punishing One, followed by a Firespray, followed by the Hound's Tooth.

My reasoning for this: Punishing One adds the most useful cards to the Scum faction. Dengar, Boba, Gonk, Manaroo, and Mind-Link are all game-changing upgrades for the faction that work great both with the ship in the box and with other Scum ships. Your Firespray and Hound's Tooth will be much better if you already have access to those cards in your collection. I would argue that it's the second most-important Scum expansion, behind Most Wanted and slightly ahead of the Aggressor. It just changes the game so much for them.

Edited by PhantomFO