Sign in to follow this  
Chief Hugh

When does Whisper get the free focus?

I recently played Whisper and my opponent questioned if I was playing Whisper right. Having never played Whisper I had no idea. He said I only get the focus if I actually hit his ship. Meaning Whisper gets four hits and targeted Y-wing gets one evade losing shields. I said Whisper gets a focus as long as she gets a least one hit result and that the card doesn't say she gets the focus only after doing damage. We played it his way.

So when does Whisper get the focus?

"After you perform an attack that hits, you may assign 1 focus token to your ship."

After

perform an attack that hits

It does not say if you roll at least one hit result. You determine if an attack hits when comparing results.

RTFC, lol

Edited by Vulf

I recently played Whisper and my opponent questioned if I was playing Whisper right. Having never played Whisper I had no idea. He said I only get the focus if I actually hit his ship. Meaning Whisper gets four hits and targeted Y-wing gets one evade losing shields. I said Whisper gets a focus as long as she gets a least one hit result and that the card doesn't say she gets the focus only after doing damage. We played it his way.

So when does Whisper get the focus?

Your friend was wrong, as well as you. After you roll and modify your attack dice, and the defender rolls and modifies his defense dice, if there are any uncanceled hit or crit results, the attack has 'hit'. Deal any damage as normal. The attack is now finished with and Whisper receives a focus token. Note that this is now too late to be used to modify anything in this attack, but it can be used for defense later in the round.

Even if the target's shields took some damage and the hull didn't, Whisper still triggers. You only need the attack to 'hit' for that to happen. It doesn't have to wait until you're dealing damage cards to trigger.

Cool thanks for the replies.

What does RTFC mean?

It means Vulf is being obnoxious which isn't something that's welcomed here.

Also, this is another topic where the OP has apparently read the card and it didn't quite click, thus they have a question about it. We don't belittle or insult people when they ask a question here. This certainly isn't the first time that the rules surrounding "after at attack hits" has come up, and I'm pretty certain it won't be the last.

So fly casual folks, and if helping answer what appear to some of us as basic questions from folks learning the game irritate you, maybe this isn't the subforum for you.

To clear up some confusion:

The symbols on the attack dice are NOT "hits". They are never referred to as "hits" or "crits" in the rule book. They are always referred to by symbols, which I call <boom> and <kaboom>.

An attack is defined to "hit" when there are more <boom> and <kaboom> symbols on the attack dice than <squiggly> symbols on the evade dice.

Cool thanks for the replies.

What does RTFC mean?

It means Vulf is being obnoxious which isn't something that's welcomed here.

Also, this is another topic where the OP has apparently read the card and it didn't quite click, thus they have a question about it. We don't belittle or insult people when they ask a question here. This certainly isn't the first time that the rules surrounding "after at attack hits" has come up, and I'm pretty certain it won't be the last.

So fly casual folks, and if helping answer what appear to some of us as basic questions from folks learning the game irritate you, maybe this isn't the subforum for you.

Chillax Darth Etiquette! I guess we only belittle and insult people when they disagree with us! Good thinking.

I guess we only belittle and insult people when they disagree with us!

No we only do it when people respond with something like RTFC. If you belittle people for asking a simple and reasonable question then you'll get called on it.

If you can't offer help without being insulting when someone asks what you think is a silly question then don't bother reading the question.

No we only do it when people respond with something like RTFC. If you belittle people for asking a simple and reasonable question then you'll get called on it.

If you can't offer help without being insulting when someone asks what you think is a silly question then don't bother reading the question.

That's impossible, how will I know if I think it is a silly question without reading it?

Some sensitive people are offended by nearly anything and fly off the handle at the slightest perceived provocation. If four innocuous letters is all it takes for you to lose your ****, maybe you shouldn't read groups of four letters.

"After you perform an attack that hits, you may assign 1 focus token to your ship."

After

perform an attack that hits

It does not say if you roll at least one hit result. You determine if an attack hits when comparing results.

RTFC, lol

It was a simple question that the OP asked. Your initial reply provided no help or assistance, other than to use a thinly veiled insult with the acronym.

That's impossible, how will I know if I think it is a silly question without reading it?

Some sensitive people are offended by nearly anything and fly off the handle at the slightest perceived provocation. If four innocuous letters is all it takes for you to lose your ****, maybe you shouldn't read groups of four letters.

If you're that sensitive, so that you fly off the handle at the slightest perceived provocation and are all offended now, maybe you shouldn't keep reading this thread.

From the topic. I mean it's pretty clear what the question was going to be just from that.

If four innocuous letters

Are you honestly going to try and pretend like we don't know what those four letters mean? Please that's more insulting than what you said in your first post.

Some of us work very hard to keep this a place where newbies can come and ask newbie questions without being belittled and insulted over it. If you can't do that then don't bother posting here, because if you continue we we will keep reporting you until you're banned from the form.

To be honest, I'd wonder what those four letters mean as I can't recall seeing that used around here very often.  Telling someone to "Read the Card" may be helpful but that assumes they actually get all the nuances of the card.  People confusing what a "hit" is are extremely common and just reading the card doesn't help solve that issue.

Telling someone to "Read the Card" may be helpful but that assumes they actually get all the nuances of the card.

I'd say that 99 times out of 100 they have read the card, but they either missed something, don't understand an underlying concept, or are adding something to it that's not there.

For whatever reason the concept of a Hit in X-Wing is something a lot of people seem to struggle with, repeating what the card says doesn't help at all when the real issue is not understanding that key concept in the first place.