Sign in to follow this  
Raging Celt

What are the odds we'll see Lambdas, Gozantis and the like?

I don't know that it will happen, but I like the idea of new objectives being included with ships. Specifically cargo/transport ships, If your objective for that ship is you might get one or more of that ship at no cost but you have to keep them alive/exit them off a part of the map. The snag is how FFG would work another category into the bid/objective part of the game.   

This would also play into the Interdictor usage. An "escape" mission would require the Interdictor go down or be too far away to stop the jump. Simplistic thinking, but I'm overly tired just now. 

So I'd be a bit surprised if the GR75 and Gozanti aren't part of wave 3 (on the other hand, maybe that points to them definitely being in Armada, but NOT wave 3...IE., all production of those models could be going to Rebellion to get that out on schedule, and since Armada would need to see them painted on top of being finished...?)

Well, Rebellion has been on the boat, and will arrive at the end of the month, while Wave 3 has not even been announced yet. I can't imagine that the production of the former is prohibitive of the production of the latter.

FWIW, it would have been interesting to see something like that implemented in Armada, too.  IE., scenarios or rules for a battle in a system where one side is 'out of supply'...not having a chance to resupply in some time due to convoys not getting through.  Maybe some point difference to balance it, but effects could be things like 'maximum speed of ships is limited to 1/2 their normal maximum', or penalties to command or engineering values, etc.  In a campaign game, that could be a useful boost to a Rebel cell - perhaps the starting OOB has the Imperial fleet twice the size of the Rebel fleet or more, but the Rebels can do missions hitting convoys until the Imperial supply situation is weak enough that the major warships are suffering supply problems, and then those targets could be hit.

(Of course, then you get to the question of how to make those asymmetrical battles "fun".  Which was sort of another weakness of Armada.  Granted, I love the objectives as part of the game, but...in reality, practically every naval battle that has even been fought has had the two sides wildly unevenly matched, although with equally very different victory conditions.)

Well said, there were plenty of opportunites to make "asymmetrical battles "fun"" but until now they missed them. I too would habe liked to see campaigns and asymmetrical battles in the start set.

Right now it mostly feels a bit odd to play the Imperium against Rebels because you always think: "Why do I not wait for another or three more ISDs before I destroy this rebel fleet..."

"" but until now they missed them. I too would habe liked to see campaigns and asymmetrical battles in the start set.

Right now it mostly feels a bit odd to play the Imperium against Rebels because you always think: "Why do I not wait for another or three more ISDs before I destroy this rebel fleet..."

Mostly because you don't want that glory hound Tarkin to get the credit for your hard work tracking and trapping the rebel scum in this system

Exactly. This was something I touched on in another "canon" forum. The standard Imperial approach is to only engage with 3 to 1 odds in their own favor (as stated in a no longer canon source). The equal point value is a mild issue I've had with other games *coughcoughWarhammercough*

It's actually kind of ironic that the games are set to be evenly matched but set in a universe where we never once see an evenly matched engagement.  ;)

Still, I soothe the irritation by figuring that the Rebels only strike when they think they can win, and the Imps can't be everywhere at full force, so its essentially a situation of the forces on hand stumbling across them.

And, of course, that it's just a game.  :D

That said, I would love to see FFG come out with a series of missions in which the points are not even. Desperate, frantic battles for an objective against crazy odds where "losses don't matter, only the prize." 

An Interdictor that has to hold a superior rebel fleet in sector till a relief force arrives after a certain turn (still alive and working, auto win)?

A rebel fleet trying to hold off the Imperial forces till they can finish receiving a transmission of stolen data?

I'm hoping the CR90 and Raider are the smallest small base ships they make and that the GR-75 and Gozantis come in as support/objective squads.

I'm hoping the opposite. I really want to be able to upgrade those ships into differing roles instead of having them shoe-horned into 1 named card and 1 generic. Maybe FFG introduces a 'tiny' ship stand, but they are too big to be squadrons.

I'm hoping the CR90 and Raider are the smallest small base ships they make and that the GR-75 and Gozantis come in as support/objective squads.

I'm hoping the opposite. I really want to be able to upgrade those ships into differing roles instead of having them shoe-horned into 1 named card and 1 generic. Maybe FFG introduces a 'tiny' ship stand, but they are too big to be squadrons.

I'd be shocked if they made them squads. The possibilities for these two ships are just too vast to waste that way. Mine-sweepers. Mine-layers. Fire Control. ECM warfare. The Gozanti could even come with a unique TIE squad that is 4 instead of 3. That alone would change a lot. Plus, the fact that the Gozanti can deploy a third of a squadron by itself would stand contradictory to them being squadrons.

Honestly, I would rather the Gozanti & GR75 receive a completely new base. My preference would be to see them as a Tiny ship stand, rather than a larger fighter stand. Maybe with only 2 arcs, instead of 4.

If I had to choose between existing bases though, I would go with the Small ship base every time. FFG left alot of room to make very maneuverable ships smaller than the CR90.

I'd be surprised if we saw everything in X-Wing appear in Armada.  How much granularity do squadrons have that we can include every type of craft in X-Wing and have it be unique in Armada?  Not much, really.

"How much granularity do squadrons have that we can include every type of craft in X-Wing and still have it be unique in X-Wing?"  There, fixed that for you.   ;)

With respect, since the different squadrons are actually physically differentiated, they are unique even if they use the exact same stats as what's already there. While I agree that what they do matters to the game (and if you honestly think the varied fighters can't be made unique in those abilities, you shock me with what appears to be a very limited imagination),

FFG is in the business of making money.

I'll ignore the "every sculpt would be different, making them unique" statement, because that is, quite frankly, a weak supporting statement that makes it look like you have nothing better to use and need to reach.

In X-Wing, the craft are differentiated by five attributes, maneuver dials, special abilities in many cases, upgrade slots with varying types and quantities -- each upgrade type offering up its own range of options.  The amount of mathematical variety built into the system for fighters is tremendous.  With just a few tweaks a craft can be made to function differently, while maintaining game play appeal.  That's because they are the "main show".

In Armada, squadrons are differentiated by four attributes, special rules, and some with defense tokens.  There isn't nearly the same level of granularity between squadrons built into the system as this is a ship combat game -- abstraction and simplification of the fighters is intended.  The system give ships the level of variety that fighters get in X-Wing.  There isn't a lot that can be done with squadrons to offer much meaningful difference between them to make them interesting enough for customers to want to purchase a large number of different ones (just for the uniqueness of a sculpt).  Flooding the game with slightly different squadrons dilutes the focus of the game and also serves to lessen the doctrinal differences between sides.  Doctrinal differences resulting in two very different sides is one of the key strengths of this game.

If FFG is going to invest the time and money to introduce every fighter type from X-Wing into Armada then they are going to need to know that people will buy them. 

all one has to do is look at the passion in the posts calling for Imperial CR-90's and/or Neb B's. Because of how they look. Because of some canon from a video game. Or a pamphlet a decade ago.

Sure, the abilities come with the look, but it's the ship they want.

I think if you looked deeper you would find that most of those people don't want them because of how they look or because of some obscure reference to them being on the Imperial side, but because of the flexibility they would bring to the Imperial game play.  Writing "it was in X comic/game/whatever" is the justification, not the reason, for wanting to include them.

The far greater number of customers want variety for expanded game play options, not for the sake of aesthetic differences.  It's a little more than obvious that if a game has two identically capable ships for a side but different aesthetics, they are not going to both sell well.  In fact, there are plenty of examples on these forums of people who think that the VSD has been superseded by the ISD because they are so similar in capability.

Thanks for your reply and your pointless attempt at condescension.  I'm actually surprised that you think having an opinion entitles you to feel superior, especially when you fail to see the extreme difference in mathematical variety between the fighters in X-Wing and the fighters in Armada.

I'd be surprised if we saw everything in X-Wing appear in Armada.  How much granularity do squadrons have that we can include every type of craft in X-Wing and have it be unique in Armada?  Not much, really.

"How much granularity do squadrons have that we can include every type of craft in X-Wing and still have it be unique in X-Wing?"  There, fixed that for you.   ;)

With respect, since the different squadrons are actually physically differentiated, they are unique even if they use the exact same stats as what's already there. While I agree that what they do matters to the game (and if you honestly think the varied fighters can't be made unique in those abilities, you shock me with what appears to be a very limited imagination),

I'll ignore the "every sculpt would be different, making them unique" statement, because that is, quite frankly, a weak supporting statement that makes it look like you have nothing better to use and need to reach.

In X-Wing, the craft are differentiated by five attributes, maneuver dials, special abilities in many cases, upgrade slots with varying types and quantities -- each upgrade type offering up its own range of options.  The amount of mathematical variety built into the system for fighters is tremendous.  With just a few tweaks a craft can be made to function differently, while maintaining game play appeal.  That's because they are the "main show".

In Armada, squadrons are differentiated by four attributes, special rules, and some with defense tokens.  There isn't nearly the same level of granularity between squadrons built into the system as this is a ship combat game -- abstraction and simplification of the fighters is intended.  The system give ships the level of variety that fighters get in X-Wing.  There isn't a lot that can be done with squadrons to offer much meaningful difference between them to make them interesting enough for customers to want to purchase a large number of different ones (just for the uniqueness of a sculpt).  Flooding the game with slightly different squadrons dilutes the focus of the game and also serves to lessen the doctrinal differences between sides.  Doctrinal differences resulting in two very different sides is one of the key strengths of this game.

If FFG is going to invest the time and money to introduce every fighter type from X-Wing into Armada then they are going to need to know that people will buy them. 

all one has to do is look at the passion in the posts calling for Imperial CR-90's and/or Neb B's. Because of how they look. Because of some canon from a video game. Or a pamphlet a decade ago.

Sure, the abilities come with the look, but it's the ship they want.

I think if you looked deeper you would find that most of those people don't want them because of how they look or because of some obscure reference to them being on the Imperial side, but because of the flexibility they would bring to the Imperial game play.  Writing "it was in X comic/game/whatever" is the justification, not the reason, for wanting to include them.

The far greater number of customers want variety for expanded game play options, not for the sake of aesthetic differences.  It's a little more than obvious that if a game has two identically capable ships for a side but different aesthetics, they are not going to both sell well.  In fact, there are plenty of examples on these forums of people who think that the VSD has been superseded by the ISD because they are so similar in capability.

Thanks for your reply and your pointless attempt at condescension.  I'm actually surprised that you think having an opinion entitles you to feel superior, especially when you fail to see the extreme difference in mathematical variety between the fighters in X-Wing and the fighters in Armada.

Wow. Congratulations on being "that guy." Your reply is quite shocking in it's absolute dismissal, condescension, arrogance, etc.

You want it by the book, line by line? Fine. You got it.

"FFG is in the business of making money."  Point made. And the more products they provide that customers want, the more money they make. This outlook actually undermines your position that they won't offer a product that fair percentage of customers will more than likely buy just because it exists.

"I'll ignore the "every sculpt would be different, making them unique" statement, because that is, quite frankly, a weak supporting statement that makes it look like you have nothing better to use and need to reach."

Okay, this is called hue-mer. Say it with me now. Humor. (there, now see? that is condescension) It was a lighthearted point (intended to be a throw-away point, which I thought by my phrasing was pointedly obvious) that different sculpts are, by the very property of being different, not the same.  I followed this point with the more serious point that differentiation of sculpts with unique abilities is ridiculously easy. How about TIE Defenders get more movement range, making them deep strike fighters with shields? Hey, how about missile boats can be deployed from a reserve on a turn mid-game to represent their hyperdrive ability? Or maybe we could give the TIE Phantom the ability to give up its attack on a turn to be immune to attacks to represent its cloak?

I didn't spell these out because I foolishly (it seems) presumed anyone reading would be able to transfer what they do in X-Wing over to Armada. They don't stop being what they are, or doing what they do, just because the sculpt is smaller.

This? --> "There isn't a lot that can be done with squadrons to offer much meaningful difference between them to make them interesting enough for customers to want to purchase a large number of different ones (just for the uniqueness of a sculpt)."  This is just short sighted thinking.

You also seem to be either ignorant, or ignoring, the market on shapeways where people can, and do buy sculpts of these other fighters, that don't even have abilities in the game.

"It's a little more than obvious that if a game has two identically capable ships for a side but different aesthetics, they are not going to both sell well."  Uhm...this is why there are some people are calling for the Neb B to be Imperial, even if it's exactly as is. Because they want the ship. Not all, but some. And who said anything about identical abilities? I said the products from X-Wing. Sure, I said sculpts, but I followed it with the abilities statement. As to capital ships, they already use more than just a sculpt to fulfill roles, and I expect they'll continue to do so.

"Thanks for your reply and your pointless attempt at condescension.  I'm actually surprised that you think having an opinion entitles you to feel superior, especially when you fail to see the extreme difference in mathematical variety between the fighters in X-Wing and the fighters in Armada."

Where in the hell did I say anything about thinking I was superior? I teasingly altered what you said to show the obvious lack of thought in your comment that something that already has unique abilities couldn't be ported over with those abilities or a scaled variation there-of. If it's already not the same stuff with new sculpts (which you clearly don't consider it) then why does it fundamentally have to change to include it somewhere else?

I also see you presumed that I can't see the role of fighters in Armada, which is funny since I'm the one arguing there is room for their expanded roles. You talk about the themes of the factions, but seem to totally miss the boat that the Rebellion fought the vast majority of their battles with starfighters. Not capital ships. Starfighters. And the Empire developed starfighters to counter them. Technological arms race. That's been known to happen in war. 

N815e, I apologize if my light ribbing somehow shattered you and drove you into a blind rage of "I'm offended!!!" to the extent that you felt you needed to be such a complete tool in your reply. Anything that triggered you was, I assure you, taken wrong. But your reply? Wow. Honestly, I am still in shock at the pure, belittling vitriol you felt justified to vomit out. And in a public forum no less. Just...wow.

It may very well just be me but in my book, you sir, just earned the Dishonorific: "That Guy."

And I shall forever impose it before your name in the forums.

Edited by Arowmund

*munching popcorn*

If your popcorn isn't salty enough, there is some extra salt floating around this thread.

You're absolutely right. My apologies for rising to the bait. 

*munching popcorn*

If your popcorn isn't salty enough, there is some extra salt floating around this thread.

You're absolutely right. My apologies for rising to the bait. 

No problem man. We all forget to 'fly casual' every now and again.

N815e, I apologize if my light ribbing somehow shattered you and drove you into a blind rage of "I'm offended!!!" to the extent that you felt you needed to be such a complete tool in your reply. Anything that triggered you was, I assure you, taken wrong. But your reply? Wow. Honestly, I am still in shock at the pure, belittling vitriol you felt justified to vomit out. And in a public forum no less. Just...wow.

It may very well just be me but in my book, you sir, just earned the Dishonorific: "That Guy."

LOL,  You came off badly and when challenged on it you want to play the victim. 

Passive aggressive.  Love it.

If all you want to do is trade slights, insults, or cheap shots, while offering nothing to do with the thread, let's be respectful to the people who are here for the thread topic and take it to messaging?

I like the look of those Gozanti in Rebellion, and I agree they'd probably fit right in with Armada just fine. A new base might be coming, but I rather doubt if they'd do that. Possibly use a small ship base, but then use a tree style stem, similar to what the fighters use? Putting the Gozanti in the center, and a TIE to either side could help "fill out" the base. The mirror could be done with the GR-75, the freighter in the center with an X-Wing on either side? Give the primary ship a role and abilities (minelayer/minesweeper, fire control, ECM, etc), and if the fighters have escort, it might extend the ship's lifespan a tad.

I've heard some interesting ideas online regarding use of a shuttle. One such was that when a command ship is destroyed, a shuttle can be deployed, keeping personnel from that vessel in play, literally shuttling them to a new ship. Though I admit, interesting in theory, but likely not an effective measure in the game. If the command ship was toasted, I doubt a shuttle would last long enough to get them anywhere. I think this might end up being more of an annoyance than an actual functioning tactic?

In the end, I think what we see added depends on what directions they decide to go with the game (I know, I know, that goes without saying). The game as we see it is, after all, "first edition," so to speak. A single glance at other mini games such as Warhammer 40K provides instant ideas for new attacks or tactics that could be adapted to Armada (not should, could).  An easy example is Deep-strike. Simply adapted as reinforcements hypering in, mid-battle. The cloaking device on the TIE Phantom, the Emperor's personal shuttle, and referenced in the movies as being on larger ships (I don't get any more specific than "larger" since all we're told is the no ship the size of the Falcon has one) is another mechanic that could allow ships to move and position with impunity (though it feels a bit too Klingon for my tastes, to have it in Armada). 

I don't think there is any real limit to what abilities they can assign to new units (be they capital ships, fighters, or something else) except for whether or not they fit the universe theme they are building. And for those not familiar with my work, this is not a new stance for me. I stand by my thinking that I won't be surprised at all if we see everything in X-Wing brought into Armada (except maybe scum and villainy, even though some of them already have been added). But I also agree that Rebels (or even the artwork on cards and such) is a far more "reliable" place to look for coming attractions.  :)

I like the look of those Gozanti in Rebellion, and I agree they'd probably fit right in with Armada just fine. A new base might be coming, but I rather doubt if they'd do that. Possibly use a small ship base, but then use a tree style stem, similar to what the fighters use? Putting the Gozanti in the center, and a TIE to either side could help "fill out" the base. The mirror could be done with the GR-75, the freighter in the center with an X-Wing on either side? Give the primary ship a role and abilities (minelayer/minesweeper, fire control, ECM, etc), and if the fighters have escort, it might extend the ship's lifespan a tad.

I like this idea. Previously when people have mentioned using a "stem/tree base" I've had the image of three Gozantis on there, which I really dislike. But the idea of a Gozanti and two TIEs is actually really cool. I like that one, feels more thematic. I think

If all you want to do is trade slights, insults, or cheap shots, while offering nothing to do with the thread, let's be respectful to the people who are here for the thread topic and take it to messaging?

You may recall that it was you who began with the insults, slights and cheap shots.

I'm glad to see you realize that this is not the way to behave, that it is inconsiderate to others and we'll see less of that from you -- so we can actually discuss the game.

You may recall that it was you who began with the insults, slights and cheap shots.

I'm glad to see you realize that this is not the way to behave, that it is inconsiderate to others and we'll see less of that from you -- so we can actually discuss the game.

*Gets fresh bowl of popcorn*

*Gets fresh bowl of popcorn*

I didn't realize this was the Belligerent New Players thread.

Hey Mikael, can I have some of that popcorn?

If you're here for the thread, skip down to the end. If you're here for the drama, by all means read on.

:rolleyes: Really n8153? You still want to pursue this publicly? *sigh* Fine, let's take a quick look back for citations and see if your stance holds up?

The essentials of my first post:

"I think the odds of seeing shuttles, the Gozanti, and GR-75's are pretty close to absolute. In fact, I'd wager anything that is in X-Wing will be included in Armada, period. 

The only aspect of X-Wing I'm not certain we'll see in Armada is the third faction. Sure, we've seen some already, but as Imps or Rebels, not as their own faction. I expect that, if they continue to add S&V, it will continue to follow this trend.

And let's not forget, Armada runs the very real risk of over saturation. I used to play EQ years ago, and it got to the point that every x-pack was just the next empty zone. Too many models means we either stop using the ones we have, or the game starts getting bogged down with 2500 point fleets.   :P"

And your response: "I'd be surprised if we saw everything in X-Wing appear in Armada.  How much granularity do squadrons have that we can include every type of craft in X-Wing and have it be unique in Armada?  Not much, really."

Okay, civil so far...And my response: "'How much granularity do squadrons have that we can include every type of craft in X-Wing and still have it be unique in X-Wing?'  There, fixed that for you.    ;)

With respect, since the different squadrons are actually physically differentiated, they are unique even if they use the exact same stats as what's already there. While I agree that what they do matters to the game (and if you honestly think the varied fighters can't be made unique in those abilities, you shock me with what appears to be a very limited imagination), all one has to do is look at the passion in the posts calling for Imperial CR-90's and/or Neb B's. Because of how they look. Because of some canon from a video game. Or a pamphlet a decade ago.

Sure, the abilities come with the look, but it's the ship they want."

Okay so, here I did change your quote in what could be taken as a mocking fashion, but you'll notice that smiling wink? That generally means that what was said was said in good humor and not to be taken seriously?

In fact, the very next statement actually opens with the words "with respect" and is nothing more than a throwaway observation that comes from the later cited Shapeways market for fighters not in the game. No, I don't explain that specifically within this post, but I do agree with you that what they do matters. Then I make an aside that you could take offense to. Namely appearing to have a limited imagination if you don't see how ships that already have distinct abilities couldn't be ported over to Armada either keeping abilities (or variations thereof) that already make them unique, or be given new ones that fit the new arena. Not exactly a soul crushing zinger.

To which you reply:

"How much granularity do squadrons have that we can include every type of craft in X-Wing and still have it be unique in X-Wing?"  There, fixed that for you.    ;)

Sure, the abilities come with the look, but it's the ship they want.

Now the first part of your post, aside from completely missing the point that the unique sculpt was stated in humor, is good. You make valid points supporting your view. But your closing? 

"Thanks for your reply and your pointless attempt at condescension.  I'm actually surprised that you think having an opinion entitles you to feel superior, especially when you fail to see the extreme difference in mathematical variety between the fighters in X-Wing and the fighters in Armada."

Having said nothing that I see as demeaning or belittling to you, I'm lost where you get the "feel superior" outlook. The only thing I can imagine is that you grabbed onto that "...lack of imagination..." phrase and held on for dear life, ignoring everything that put it in context.  Your opening thanks for the reply is twisted from polite to rude when taken in context with the rest of your sentence, and you clearly state I was being condescending.

In fact, this closing sort of nullifies your efforts to respond to anything I said previous in a serious fashion, as you dismiss offhand my entire mental ability to understand the mechanics of the fighters between systems when all I said was they could adapt already existing mechanics to the new arena, leaving me slightly mystified why you felt the need to explain things to someone who clearly doesn't get it. Oh wait...unless you were schooling me with your superior intellect?

I think pretty much anyone would view this as insulting. First blood to you.

After this, in each post between us, I still addressed your points and discussed the thread topic. Something I noticed you omitted when you posted:

In this time, I read comments by others observing the salt in the thread, apologized, and then included a response to your last post asking you to keep insults in messaging if you weren't going to at least bother to discuss the thread topic in the post.

To which you reply:

"You may recall that it was you who began with the insults, slights and cheap shots.

I'm glad to see you realize that this is not the way to behave, that it is inconsiderate to others and we'll see less of that from you -- so we can actually discuss the game."

Again, cutting off everything in that post that was thread related to take a shot at me in a public forum while yet again contributing nothing whatsoever to the thread topic (and scolding me for inconsiderate behavior to others, good grief the comedy writes itself). 

The only thing I've learned from you, n815e, is that you are the kind of person that feels the need to have the last word on a subject, declaring yourself the victor. So go ahead, snip out of this post whatever you like and crown yourself king of the forums for another day. Well done keyboard soldier, you have dismissed a dissenting opinion.

No really, say literally anything you like. I'm done with this exchange.

Now, back to the thread.

I like the idea of a fighter escort on either side of the Gozanti or GR-75, but on second thought my idea of "escort" wasn't expressed clearly. The fighters would really be visual more than meat, with their hulls and abilities given to the unit over-all. 
With calls for the Interdictor and gravity wells, some people have mentioned the way they were used in the books, to position reinforcements. If (and that's a big if) the rebels were to get a few fighters with independent deployment abilities (to be clear, not need a capital ship), and they added a reinforcement aspect to the game, the GR-75 could not just match the Gozanti, but also be a mobile platform to call in new combat ships or fighters. Admittedly, clumsy. But then again, imagine a Liberty cruiser or flight of bombers dropping out at the back of your formation after a GR-75 slips past?
Now to be fair, there is really nothing to indicate that they'll incorporate a reinforcement aspect to the game. However, as I said in another post, I think we can look to other games (40K, WarMachine, etc.) for some possible ideas for mechanics they might bring in to keep the game evolving.
And, as fleets continue to get larger, it might eventually make sense to break up how many are on the table at the same time. Perhaps another "mode" of play eliminating the 6 turn rule and letting players engage in a more "campaign" style made up of waves? Though granted, this is a long way off, if ever.
Just my 2 wooden nickles worth.
Edited by Arowmund