Sign in to follow this  
Conandoodle

If you could only buy one epic ship...

Friends,

I sold some crap and I have enough to buy a single epic ship. I won't be purchasing another for quite some time .. possibly ever.

So I'd like to draw on your experience and knowledge as gamers who have these beautiful models and ask .. If you could only buy 1 epic ship, which would you buy and why?

I have one of each, my missus plays Rebs and I'm an Imp, but bias aside I'd have to say that the Raider is your man!

We've played out the campaign missions with each one (almost) and used them in standard Epic play and the Raider has been the most fun ship to use, at least with what we've done with it so far!

And as the others have said, it offers great benefits for standard play also

For Rebs: It's an even toss-up between the GR-75 and the Corvette. While at first I thought I'd dislike the Medium Transport, in actual play it's a menace - either it runs over ships to destroy them outright or uses the Jammer setup to severely mess with a lot of pilots - sticking extra Stress on a Vader, or reaching out to damage a Soontir with Slicer Tools, is downright NASTY. Plus, it's so cheap you can mass a major force of Rebel ships. The Corvette I haven't seen (yet), but it does have a good solid reach and a lot of punch.

For the Imps... Yes, the Raider is a better overall choice, but the Gozanti also has strong points - it's cheap, can still equip a single Hard Point, actually comes with Huge ship Modifications, and also comes with Wampa and Youngster. I'd still say, single-ship get the Raider, but the Gozanti is just... tempting me. Tempting me HARD.

If you can buy only one, then you really should look at the 100pt legal cards as well.

The Raider:

1 TIE Advanced model, with 4 unique pilots and the TIE Advanced fix.

Emperor Palpatine

The Corvette

C-3P0

R2-D2 (crew)

Han Solo

Leia Organa (crew)

The Transport

1 X-Wing, with 4 unique pilots

4 Astromechs, including R5-P9 and R3-A2

Gozanti

2 TIE Fighters with 4 unique pilots

Agent Kallus

Depending on the faction you play, I think your best bet would be the GR-75 Transport, which is also in and of itself a good Epic ship full of nasty support tricks.

depends on what you play the most.....

if you play rebs then the transporter has lots of astromachs and the cr 90 comes with must have crew

if you play mostly imps then the raider has palp and the gonzanti has kallus

the transporter and gonzanti are a lot cheaper then the raider and cr90 so maybe you could squeeze it to get both of them 

p.s. and get c-3po in a store championship 

Edited by shotbyscott

If I could only buy one, I`d probaly weep :)

Rebel Transport,

Possibly my allround favourite. It is cheap and an excellent support ship and works well at almost any point level. Haven`t tried it at 100, as that would probably be too cramped for a ship that can`t attack, but from 150/200 point games and up it works really well. It is, admittedly, not much to look at though,and not much of a shelf piece. and it`s charms are more subtle than making things go boom. Could do with more crew cards, as the ones included are generally expensive and not always that useful. Comes with an X Wing with new pilots that are fun, if not necessarily always hugely competetive, though Wes Janson is definetly in the running for most annoying pilot. And of course R3-A2, the infamous stressbot.

Gozanti.

Havent had much opportunity to play this yet, but I am really liking it so far. Looks mean, the deployment mechanic is fun, and depending on how you equip it, can be somewhere between a slow Decimator and the Rebel Transport. Comes with 2 TIE fighters and a set of good TIE pilots. Also has some much needed modification upgrades for huge ships.

Rebel Corvette CR-90

The first and in my opinion, still the best looking if you want something to put on the shelf.

Originally struggling a lot with energy, but tweaks to the rules and new ugrades included with the Gozanti helps a lot.

Also comes with the never used and completly useless comedic tin-can duo of C-3PO and R2-D2 as crew cards :)

Imperial Raider 

Also looks great on the table, and is a great counterpiece to the CR-90. Comes with a TIE-Advanced, some good pilots, and the much needed fix for said ship. And of course the Emperor himself.

If I absolutely had to pick only one, I think I might go for the Raider as a bunch of plucky rebels in their beat up fighters going against the might of the empire is probaly as thematic as it gets. It also comes with a neat campign. (though so does all the Huge ships)

That said, a Rebel Transport + Gozanti isn`t that much more expensive than a single Raider and really adds a lot to the game for both sides and also works well at 200 points if ypu want a shorter game.

Edited by Jiwestone

The Raider

It is pretty much essential for playing one of the META-Lists right now due to having Palpatine as a Crew-card.

Also it brings the Tie Advanced back on the table with the neccessary upgrade cards (Tie/x1-title & Adv. Targeting Computer) and a very good collection of additional pilots (Juno Eclipse and Ltn. Colzet as the most played ones of this set).

You can increase the points limit of a standard game to 150 and field an Assault Carrier or Rebel Transport, and you also get a standard play ship & useful cards with both.  They're also both quite cheap.

The Corvette is only really usable in full-scale Epic.  The Raider is also only usable in Epic, but comes with Palp, a repainted TIE Advanced and the TIE Advanced fixes.  They're also both quite expensive.

If you're just "dipping your toe" into Epic play, I'd suggest either the Assault Carrier or the Transport (whichever faction you use most), as they're priced so you can use them in smaller scale games, and you also get the benefit of standard play upgrades and ships as well.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Didn't we just do a thread on this?

No matter which you do, at least proxy the cards from the Gozanti that make Epic better.

I would say Rebels are better equipped to fight against Epic, so I might lean towards an Imperial. Also, the CR-90 is harder to fly right as it wants to stay away and fire. It would be more frustrating to learn to play and might make you quit sooner.

No matter which you buy, try all the scenarios. Try them a few times with different players. Give all a chance to learn the epic rules. Also, Cinematic games are those that you just make up. Do some of those. Just play whatever points you want and have 1 person make the lists for both sides. This can be less about list building and more about having fun.

The problem is they are not all priced the same.  I was just placing my order for other items and the Transport was less than $30.  I wouldn't say that is in the same ballpark as other Epic ships.  And considering you get a Transport and an alternate paint X-Wing, that's only $15 per ship... which is a great price.  Hard to compare that to the Raider, which is still selling for over $60.  And if I can even find ships locally, you can add $30 to each of those.  Heck, even the Gozanti is under $45 and it's the new one.  I just don't see how it can be "only one"... leave that for the Highlander (and don't have a Part II)

Edited by Grayfax

but the Gozanti is just... tempting me. Tempting me HARD.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/203292-gozanti-a-deadly-behemoth/#entry2064851

Just ordered my second Gozanti this week.  Do I need two?  No.  But hey look so sweet...

No you need three. Otherwise some of the squadron will have to be left behind. You dont want that do you? :P

Raider is a great option if you don't actually want to play Epic.

if you DO want to play epic... I'd suggest the Gozanti because it's probably the best epic ship ever

I think one way to put it is that the Raider is fun and cinematic, but the Gozanti has more competitive options and tactics. I feel like after my day with it, I'll be taking the Gozanti when I'm serious (epic/team epic league, competition) and the Raider when I just wanna shoot at things.