Sign in to follow this  
Ken at Sunrise

Strange Remnants - Get it or not

I know this is one of those games where there will be endless expansions.  Thank you but no....

All I'm really looking for is enough variety for a fun game and a bit  re-playability.  I'm not buying everything that comes out.  So far I purchased the Core plus Foresaken Lore and that is just fine.

But Strange Remnants does not have a side board so I was thinking about it.  Does is add a lot of new rules and complexity to the game?  Or does it simple push the core a little like Foresaken Lore.  Really the core needed a few more cards and Foresaken Lore helped.

What are you're thoughts.

Strange Remnants adds the Focus mechanic. Basically, you can get a Focus token as an action and use it for a single reroll. It was also in the Mountains of Madness expansion so it isn't totally "new". 

There's no sideboard but there is a Mystic Ruins deck which works exactly like the expedition deck. Add a token to whatever space is shown on the top card and represents such places as Stonehenge and Easter Island. Like the other expansion, this deck is only used with the included GOO or with an Adventure. 

The GOO is The Cosmic Syzygy which I like but I've never beaten it so I don't know exactly how it works. One of the things about this bad guy is that you'll always flip the card over. It flips when you have done two mysteries. The Doom track going to zero means defeat for the good guys. 

The rest of the expansion is just extra regular cards. 

Overall, I wouldn't say that it adds any complexity. Just a bit with the Focus and the Unique Assets* which you wouldn't have if you only had Forsaken Lore.

* If you didn't know, Unique Assets are two-sided items plus a bunch of named characters.

Edited by Hedgehobbit

Great thanks.  I think I'm good with keeping Foresaken lore and the core.

I totally understand. However, I doubt FFG will release another Forsaken Lore type of expansion that only adds stuff to the base game. They seem to have settled on adding a new GOO plus an adventure to include the extra stuff when not using that particular GOO.

So far none of the expansions have increased complexity, in my opinion. The big box expansions add a sideboard, but only one can be used, and only if you draw a specific prologue card / use a specific GOO. Otherwise, they add a couple of new features, such as the aforementioned Focus tokens, Unique Assets and Adventures, but nothing that adds to the complexity. If you've already got a handle on the core game, it is well worth your time picking up any and all of the expansions. They add a lot of diversity :)

SR adds the Focus mechanic. It's a mechanic the game definitely needed  as it gives an option when you're stuck in Svalbard having just fluffed a clue encounter. However you can get this in MoM and I'd recommend that over SR.

SR also adds Mystic Locations such as Chichen Itza and the Great Wall of China. They work in the same way that expeditions do. i.e. you can only investigate one at a time and you move a token to show where the next ML would be. If you understand the Expedition mechanic, you understand the ML mechanic.

You're only meant to use these locations with the new Ancient One or if you use the Preview. Personally I'd say stuff that for a game of soldiers and chuck them in every game. Time is short and if players want to waste their time having an encounter at Stonehenge instead of London, so be it.

So far none of the expansions have increased complexity, in my opinion. The big box expansions add a sideboard, but only one can be used, and only if you draw a specific prologue card / use a specific GOO. Otherwise, they add a couple of new features, such as the aforementioned Focus tokens, Unique Assets and Adventures, but nothing that adds to the complexity. If you've already got a handle on the core game, it is well worth your time picking up any and all of the expansions. They add a lot of diversity :)

Good synopsis of the expansion. I also believe Syzygy is a good intermediate to start with. Not too hard, not too difficult. To date, it's the only AO that I've beaten without removing all or some the difficult Mythos cards. Saying that, my games sometimes last a few days and I lose the plotline. Due to a heavy work shedule.