Sign in to follow this  
petewyse

Standalone expansion idea

So here's an idea I had for a standalone expansion, that also doubles up as a way to teach new players and ease them into the main game.

A sideboard for say Arkham, with a small selection of item / condition / spell cards, all the rules needed to play without the main game, a dozen or so locations and relevant location cards, monsters etc. etc. In short, Eldritch Horror on a smaller scale. This can be used to hook new players, teach them the basics, with the win condition being something small... closing 3 gates for example. You could even use the adventure cards to add randomness.

The standalone game can also be added to the full game, much the same as Mountains of Madness or Under The Pyramids, using the adventure cards to draw characters there in much the same way (when not using a relevant Great Old One). There could even be a bunch of these in the same vein; Dunwich, Innsmouth, Kingsport etc.

What this would do is a) ease new players into the full rules, b) provide a small scale (and cheaper) version of the game, and c) add new expansions for the main game. Creating just one of the sideboard expansions with standalone rules would be a great way to get more people into the game, especially those who're intimidated by the sheer amount of stuff you get in EH. I personally don't find the game difficult to play, but some gamers see all those tokens and the large board and think "wow that looks complex".

Just an idea :)

I think it would be very cool for a standalone game but not so for an expansion. 

1. Standalone: 

Easier than EH

Introduction into the main game (if the player would like to purchase it after he exhausts all other options of this smaller game)

Mythos lore

Less time consuming than EH. I would see it as a game that would be completed in 40-60 minutes. That would be a major advantage over the main game and will be more frequently on the table than EH.

Cheaper than EH so it can be marketed to younger players with little income.

2. As an expansion though, I, personally,  wouldn't like to pay 30-50$ in order to play an expansion that is like a tutorial and you are conditioned to use just some cards on the sideboard(if I understood correctly) and all of them on the mainboard or do just some actions on the sideboard and everything on the mainboard. It would seem too much of a hassle. 

As a standalone though i would pay for that in order to play something "eldritchian" every evening when I get home from work. Eldritch I only play on the weekends and only 1 run / day so 2 playthroughs per weekend which is not enough for my boardgame needs but with age comes  great responsibility (too bad i'm not spiderman) :)

I smaller version would be nice, but at what point does market confusion enter the picture? Eldritch is already almost an expansion of Arkham Horror so making an Arkham version of Eldritch means we'll have two card-driven, encounter-based Arkham games at the same time. I'd expect a new simplified version of Arkham Horror is in the works. 

2. As an expansion though, I, personally,  wouldn't like to pay 30-50$ in order to play an expansion that is like a tutorial and you are conditioned to use just some cards on the sideboard(if I understood correctly) and all of them on the mainboard or do just some actions on the sideboard and everything on the mainboard. It would seem too much of a hassle.

I was more thinking along the lines of components being the same, so you could play the simpler version standalone, but if you already own EH (or purchase it afterwards) all of the components simply get shuffled into the rest of it, much like the two existing big-box expansions.

I smaller version would be nice, but at what point does market confusion enter the picture? Eldritch is already almost an expansion of Arkham Horror so making an Arkham version of Eldritch means we'll have two card-driven, encounter-based Arkham games at the same time. I'd expect a new simplified version of Arkham Horror is in the works. 

Arkham was my first thought because I've seen people asking for it (and it makes sense, being the more popular location). Any of the other cities could also work, saving confusion.