Sign in to follow this  
steambucky

Reskinning Imperial Assault? Using the rules for something else...

Has anyone looked into reusing the game system of imperial Assault for their own game? Changing genre?

I have enjoyed Imperial Assault. It has all the trappings I like in a board game. Good combat systems, character progression, finding stuff, buying stuff and a simple campaign.

Just curious if anyone has taken the time to try and make a "universal" system with it.

I haven't, and probably wouldn't, but I would love to see a Strek Trek version of this game.

I can imagine lots of potential in that universe. Great individual characters, interesting races and well suited to campaign game, too.

There you go FFG, another way to seperate sci-fi nerds from their money.

You mean like they did from Descent to make IA?

Really, though, the rules are tight enough to reskin it to other games, but it could easily grow out of hand.  Other games have taken similar approaches, as with X-wing being converted to Attack Wing (Star Trek and D&D).  Take care, though, with the small squad point pool of IA, it will be quite easy to create units that are a little over the top, IE pre-nerf Royal Guards.  Unless, of course, you just change the names of units that exist and create your own maps and missions.

I'm a pretty big infinity player and I love the terrain that infinity uses. What I think me and a buddy are going to do is take the imperial assault models and some of the mechanics and put it to infinity rules and 3d terrain.

We'll do things like 4 speed move means 4 inches. To shoot we'll have you measure how far then roll the dice to see if you get that many inches. Probably do something with cover where if you have it maybe either decrease the attacks accuracy or give you 1 surge cancellation on damage block something to that effect.

I'm a pretty big infinity player and I love the terrain that infinity uses. What I think me and a buddy are going to do is take the imperial assault models and some of the mechanics and put it to infinity rules and 3d terrain.

We'll do things like 4 speed move means 4 inches. To shoot we'll have you measure how far then roll the dice to see if you get that many inches. Probably do something with cover where if you have it maybe either decrease the attacks accuracy or give you 1 surge cancellation on damage block something to that effect.

Have you tried this out yet @redace? I was thinking about the same..

Have you tried this out yet @redace? I was thinking about the same..

If used with the Infinity rule set, it would probably be better to skin the figures to the existing Infinity rules. You should establish some arbitrary ranges instead of using the dice, and make weapon profiles for each weapon, based on the dice they roll, thus allowing for the longer ranged encounters Infinity supports.

Seems like Marvel heroes would be a good fit.

Super heroes with the IA rules... Hmm.

Sounds like it could work well, but I think in general characters would need considerably more surge abilities to represent a lot of the super powers.

Might be an interesting use for all those old hero clix models though.

Seems like Marvel heroes would be a good fit.

Super heroes with the IA rules... Hmm.

Sounds like it could work well, but I think in general characters would need considerably more surge abilities to represent a lot of the super powers.

Might be an interesting use for all those old hero clix models though.

There's already Marvel and DC miniatures games (with maps) out there.

Someone mentioned Harry Potter one time, I think that would fit very well into the IA/Descent game play. Heck the surge symbol looks like the lightning bolt on Harry's forehead!

~D

There's already Marvel and DC miniatures games (with maps) out there.

Are you talking about the Knight Models games? I thought those were more free form terrain like Warhammer, as well as more complex rules. (Gorgeous models though).

Someone mentioned Harry Potter one time, I think that would fit very well into the IA/Descent game play. Heck the surge symbol looks like the lightning bolt on Harry's forehead!~D

Slightly off topic, but the x-wing rules would work as a base for a miniatures quidditch game.

Well after more thought, I have decided to go ahead with using the IA rules but in different genres that we like to play. My first step was put all the stats for the cards into a spreadsheet and from that start to work out how they come up with the points costs for things. My friend and will want to make our own heros, villains, monsters etc so stats and abilities will need to be tweaked.

It would be far easier to just start with an open systems rather have to reverse engineer points costs. I just find IA so nice and simple to play, so I don't mind putting in the effort.

One think that makes it a slight challenge is there is no real vanilla basic unit in IA - everyone has abilities! I'm curious as to what I might find out. Very curious about the lower end of the scale. That imperial officer is 2 points. If he didn't have any special abilities would he be 0? ;)

Warhammer 40k!!!  Make the heroes be an Inquisitor's war band.  Each expansion can bring a new race into the fold.  I would buy this in a heartbeat.

It's a shame that it'll never happen.  FFG has a Warhammer 40k license, but GW isn't going to let them make a miniatures game!

Warhammer 40k!!! Make the heroes be an Inquisitor's war band. Each expansion can bring a new race into the fold. I would buy this in a heartbeat.

It's a shame that it'll never happen. FFG has a Warhammer 40k license, but GW isn't going to let them make a miniatures game!

Well yes! 40k is something are going to explore first. We both have a fair amount of 40k stuff and one our first planned skirmish setting for this was going to be rival mechanicus cults having secret battles and missions on a forgeworld as the Horus Hersey unfolds...

Edited by steambucky

I still think Harry Potter is a good theme/genre/story to use. Can easily create generic students at Hogwarts with the storylines corresponding with each book/movie. You can take the best of both worlds from Imperial Assault and Descent.

~D

I still think Harry Potter is a good theme/genre/story to use. Can easily create generic students at Hogwarts with the storylines corresponding with each book/movie. You can take the best of both worlds from Imperial Assault and Descent.

~D

Well I think you should do it! :) it's not my thing, but I KNOW my nephews play it.

Obviously if it's a reskinning into heavily copyrighted property ( like 40k or Harry Potter ;) , then it's best not post efforts here, but I will be making a few generic posts here asking opinions about the points costs of things that I create.