Sign in to follow this  
Firespray-32

The Many Faces of The Raging Tycho

With Tycho, can I call Rage as an action (receive 2 stress and assign a focus token), then PTL and call Focus as my next action for 2 focus tokens?

Tycho Celchu (26)

Push The Limit (3)
Rage (1)

Experimental Interface (3)

Proton Rockets (3)

36 points

I played this version last night and I loved doing Evade -> PTL -> boost -> EI ->Rage.  So much fun.  But if I could have called for another Focus in the times I didn't need to boost, that would have been helpful.  Anyone know the answer?  Thanks. -Ody

With Tycho, can I call Rage as an action (receive 2 stress and assign a focus token), then PTL and call Focus as my next action for 2 focus tokens?

Tycho Celchu (26)

Push The Limit (3)

Rage (1)

Proton Rockets (3)

36 points

I played this version last night and I loved doing Evade -> PTL -> boost -> EI ->Rage.  So much fun.  But if I could have called for another Focus in the times I didn't need to boost, that would have been helpful.  Anyone know the answer?  Thanks. -Ody

You can Action: Rage and Action: Focus on the same turn.  (key here is the word 'assign' in the rage text.  You have not taken the focus 'action' when you are 'assigned' a focus token [Also see: Whisper])

Sure, you can.

I'm not putting down the standard angry Tycho. It's just too amazing to have permanent rerolls, focus and evade. The only choice you need to make is boost or another focus. :)

I will keep these options in mind though. ^^

Im thinking of taking 

Budget U-Turn Tycho (36)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Rage (1)
Daredevil (3)

Proton Rockets (3)

Plus a 48 Points Corran Horn and a prototype Pilot with Refit to my first tournament.

Will give you feedback once it finishes

I like tycho with swarm leader and rage, with the right back up, he gets a 3-5 dice attack (range depending) with 3 re rolls on attack, plus focus with experimental interface he can boost or evade as required.

this list has done alright for me and even got close to beating a parattani list, causing more frustration as those a wings just would die, and those out of arc helping tycho push damage through.

All a wings (100)

Tycho Celchu (31) - A-Wing
Rage (1), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Experimental Interface (3), Swarm Leader (3)

Green Squadron Pilot (23) - A-Wing
Crack Shot (1), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Push The Limit (3)

Crack Shot (1), Chardaan Refit (-2), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Autothrusters (2), Push The Limit (3)

14 minutes ago, Aresxero said:

I like tycho with swarm leader and rage, with the right back up, he gets a 3-5 dice attack (range depending) with 3 re rolls on attack, plus focus with experimental interface he can boost or evade as required.

Something in there doesn't sound right.  I know how it is supposed to work but it requires you start with that Boost or Evade to trigger Experimental Interface which is only good for Rage.  Swarm Leader may have some uses but it is requiring you to burn Evades/Actions from those other ships.

On 2/24/2016 at 7:10 PM, Blue Five said:

Lhys9kI.jpg

Action Overkill Tycho (31)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Rage (1)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

And if you want to play it really dangerous (and still cheaper than the old Daredevil Tycho):

Full Offense Tycho (32)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Rage (1)
Expose (4)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

I'll try one of these two very soon, cool! I think he'd go nicely with my Rage'n Porkins! .....and maybe a B-Wing.

7 hours ago, StevenO said:

Something in there doesn't sound right.  I know how it is supposed to work but it requires you start with that Boost or Evade to trigger Experimental Interface which is only good for Rage.  Swarm Leader may have some uses but it is requiring you to burn Evades/Actions from those other ships.

Never found having to boost/evade 1st a problem, I rage pretty much every turn  I need the focus anyway, so still get the evade/boost plus focus that I would with push the limit. once the stress stack starts there is no getting rid of them all so just run with it.

since swarm leader is optional and you can choose who's tokens to burn you have seen the game state and know who needs the tokens for defence. Plus at PS3 the green squadron pilots can block well and usually get the actions they need, then burn an evade when shooting at any ship in arc with less or no shots against the blocker. After the initial engagement the formation breaks up and my opponents tend to chase one or 2 a wings while the others can get back around and get the evade for tycho to use.

it isn't the easiest list to use and requires a lot of thought in which manoeuvres to use but it's a lot of fun and swarm leader helps push through damage and is nice you can use it more than once vs using proton rockets

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, Blue Five said:

Lhys9kI.jpg

I'm fairly sure most of us looked at this card and thought Tycho, but a few days ago I realised the full potential of this card with the game's most carefree A-wing pilot.

The standard stress stacking Tycho build gives Tycho Celchu both PTL effects (bonus actions for stress), and the most obvious idea is to replace Tycho's second EPT.

Old Tycho Target Lock Free Edition (32)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Expert Handling (2)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Old Tycho U-Turn Edition (33)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Daredevil (3)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

This Tycho setup goes for maximum actions and uses one of the stress EPTs to give it another maneuver action. Here you'd substitute in Rage for one of the maneuver actions, reducing his maneuverability but improving his offense. Seen like this, it's just another option: give him some rerolls and trade away his maneuverability.

However, it's hard to see the true potential of Rage until you understand what it is. For Tycho, Rage is the Focus and Target Lock Action Bar actions reduced to a single EPT Action. It's even slightly more powerful than that because Rage's target lock is indiscriminate: it's effectively a target lock on every ship (albeit one you can't spend to fire ordnance). With Focus and Target Lock on all his dice, he's going to be getting both hits (or all three at Range 1) very frequently.

This makes Rage in of itself a third PTL effect: with Rage, Experimental Interface and PTL Tycho can effectively use his entire action bar (Focus, Evade, Boost and Target Lock) every turn. Four actions a turn.

Action Overkill Tycho (31)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Rage (1)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

While this is defensively and offensively stronger than the other two Tycho setups (and slightly cheaper than most Tycho builds) does Tycho need three bonus actions? Three actions is usually easily enough. While Quadruple Action Tycho is interesting there's a lot more variety (and maneuverability) to be found in the Triple Action Tycho. We can ditch a PTL effect quite happily and retain amazing action economy.

And it doesn't have to be Rage.

Ditching Both

Dropping both creates a Tycho that can PTL Focus and Target Lock or take a single action elsewhere. This also creates a very cheap Tycho.

Poor Man's Tycho (26)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Rage (1)
Crack Shot/Wired/Veteran Instincts/Calculation/Lightning Reflexes (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

For 26 points Tycho can take Rage and any other 1 point EPT. Wired is probably one of the stronger EPTs here, giving defensive rerolls on Focus results when stressed. Lightning Reflexes gives Tycho a single K-turn a game, but he can pick any one from his dial.

Ditching Experimental Interface
Dropping Experimental Interface frees up the Modification slot. This form of Tycho has the choice between three actions (Focus, Target Lock and either Evade or Boost) or two (Evade and Boost) each turn. This also frees up his Modification Slot.

This can be used as a straight up cost saving measure to cut Tycho to a mere 28 points. it can also be used to give Tycho the modification bonuses Jake Farell enjoys while retaining his triple action economy.

Action Overkill Tycho (30 - 31)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Rage (1)

Autothrusters/Hull Upgrade/Stealth Device (2 - 3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

This buffs Tycho defensively. Autothrusters keeps Tycho safe as he closes, then he can Rage and Boost into Range 1 of TLT Y-wings and attack at Range 1 with fully modified dice. With Rage, PTL and Stealth Device Tycho can reroll all his attack dice and have four agility dice, an Evade token and a Focus token for defence. If you put your faith in hull rather than dice, he can take a Hull Upgrade for StarViper or TIE/x1 level defensive statlines.

Super Procket Tycho (33)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Push The Limit (3)
Rage (1)

Guidance Chips (0)
Proton Rockets (3)

Alternatively, you can give Tycho one of the most potent ordnance strikes in the game by giving him a 0 point Guidance Chip and Proton Rockets. Rage gives three rerolls and a focus, meaning there's a very good chance for an Advanced Proton Torpedo level of damage (a full five hits). Better still, this has a similar cost to the old triple action Tycho builds as the savings from ditching Experimental Interface and taking the 1pt Rage in place of another EPT offsets the effectively five point cost of the rocket.

Rage and Proton Rockets is an powerful combination anyway and can go on any Rage Tycho build in here.

Ditching Push The Limit
Rage on Tycho is in many was a 1 point PTL. As Rage is an Action EPT rather than a bar action it can trigger off of Experimental Interface, which for the first time gives a triple action Tycho for just 28 points. While Jake Farell can pull this off for 25 Tycho has a higher pilot skill and can use his full green and white dial freely.

Furthermore, Tycho's EPT slot is freed up. This allows triple action Tycho to have the PS10 pilot skill granted by Veteran Instincts, the defensive buff of Wired, the extra damage of Crackshot, the reactive K-turn allowed by Lightning Reflexes or the crit dealing power of Calculation for a mere 1 point. 29 points is not a bad price for all that.

Slim Tycho (28 - 29)
Tycho Celchu (26)

Rage (1)
Optional 1 point EPT (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)

It also allows Tycho to use the classic Tycho choices of Daredevil and Expert Handling for the turns he needs to U-turn or get outta dodge for two points less than the PTL equivalent.

Budget U-Turn Tycho (31)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Rage (1)
Daredevil (3)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Plus, as Experimental Interface can trigger either Tycho gets more choices for actions: on turns he doesn't need Rage EI can trigger Daredevil or Expert Handling for a double reposition with Boost. The sacrifice over the PTL version is that Tycho can't double reposition and focus or evade, but all too often those two points are sorely needed elsewhere. However, with his full dial Tycho doesn't need to double reposition nearly as much as other aces.

And if you want to play it really dangerous (and still cheaper than the old Daredevil Tycho):

Full Offense Tycho (32)
Tycho Celchu (26)
Rage (1)
Expose (4)

Chardaan Refit (-2)

Yo Tycho, I’m really happy for you, Imma let you finish but Ahsoka has one of the best ships of all time…one of the best ships of all time!

13 hours ago, Aresxero said:
21 hours ago, StevenO said:

Something in there doesn't sound right.  I know how it is supposed to work but it requires you start with that Boost or Evade to trigger Experimental Interface which is only good for Rage.  ...

Never found having to boost/evade 1st a problem, I rage pretty much every turn  I need the focus anyway, so still get the evade/boost plus focus that I would with push the limit. once the stress stack starts there is no getting rid of them all so just run with it.

When the only reposition option in Boost and you aren't using anything else that is range dependent there isn't a problem with using the action bar action first and the using Rage via EI.   What didn't sound right was a slight indication that you could use Boost/Evade via EI; just a matter of semantics.