Sign in to follow this  
corellian spike

Playmat Storage

I just use the box it came in.  I did Duct Tape the bottom so that it doesn't come open after getting dinged here and there.  I have seen others who used Duct tape to add a "strap" to it as well so that it is easier to carry, but I have yet to do so myself.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you (or a similar store), you can use a plastic carry tube from the art department (used for carrying rolled up canvas or other large drawings).  It ran about $7 if I remember right and has a carry strap, and can even expand up or down to fit different sizes (although the playmat is near the top in size it can hold).  Lay it flat when it is stored and you won't have the problems some others have posted about excess weight on one end when it is stored upright, causing the mat to buckle and wrinkle.

Here is one of those tubes you get in art and drawing shops http://www.mhway.it/en/content/drawings-tube

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you (or a similar store), you can use a plastic carry tube from the art department (used for carrying rolled up canvas or other large drawings).  It ran about $7 if I remember right and has a carry strap, and can even expand up or down to fit different sizes (although the playmat is near the top in size it can hold).  Lay it flat when it is stored and you won't have the problems some others have posted about excess weight on one end when it is stored upright, causing the mat to buckle and wrinkle.

Perfect. This is what I was looking for. I find the box difficult to get the playmat back into without it scraping along the inner cardboard seam. Also, these tubes will be better for transporting the playmat. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have an old technical document / blueprint tube that I can store one vinyl GF9 and one neoprene HCD mat in. I just lay them one on the other and roll them all up. In the market for a larger one or some way to hold more than one.

I just got my first mat the other day, ffg death star 2.... It's possibly the greatest thing I've ever seen. Other than myself in the mirror once a year. (Only went with that for the rhyme...)

It's been flat on table, hasn't been put away. Prolly just use the box, altho mine shipped in somewhat beat condition.

Edited by deadeye333

There are very nice expandable transport tubes available on Amazon, they usually have a shoulder strap and look pretty slick.

Personally, I just got a $4 cardboard shipping tube from the Postal Annex, wrapped it in clear packing tape to mitigate any rain, and called it good.