Sign in to follow this  
VaynMaanen

Can We Expect an Errata on TLT For Post Store Championship Season?

This is not a complain thread and/or a nerf idea thread.

Last year the Phantom was thought to be overpowered and it became relevant from World's results. It was then nerfed with the changes going into effect at the start of Regional season.

This year World's - Post Worlds, tournament results have demonstrated evidence that TLT has caused some power creep, and I'm sure FFG is well aware of it.

Just wondering if those that play other competitive games have seen this before and if it's relatively easy to predict when an errata/nerf is coming.

Thoughts?

If you do this, the entire meta will be engulfed by fat turrets. TLT must remain a borderline OP card for it to be relevant or else literally the only Rebel squads we'll see will be Poe and Han/Dash.

Yeah, there's been power creep in this game alright. Phantom, Corran, Wave 5, Poe, etc. Not TLT, which calms some of that **** down.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

This is not a complain thread and/or a nerf idea thread.

Last year the Phantom was thought to be overpowered and it became relevant from World's results. It was then nerfed with the changes going into effect at the start of Regional season.

This year World's - Post Worlds, tournament results have demonstrated evidence that TLT has caused some power creep, and I'm sure FFG is well aware of it.

Just wondering if those that play other competitive games have seen this before and if it's relatively easy to predict when an errata/nerf is coming.

Thoughts?

I highly doubt it. They seem content to let turrets be as powerful as they want them to be.

Not sure how they're going to errata TLT. It does one thing and one thing only and there's no way of changing it without effectively ruining it.

I can only think of rewording the title to the limitations set by the Defender title and add a max cost to the turret you may use, thereby nerfing the stresshog by reducing its range band.

Doubt it.

New wave 8 swarms like Rage-ties and concussions bandits are capable of stomping 2-4 TLT's extremely hard.

I think you could bring non-TLT generics up a bit by making turret upgrades susceptible to range 3 defensive bonuses, but I don't think the situation is nearly dire enough to bother.

Not sure how they're going to errata TLT. It does one thing and one thing only and there's no way of changing it without effectively ruining it.

I can only think of rewording the title to the limitations set by the Defender title and add a max cost to the turret you may use, thereby nerfing the stresshog by reducing its range band.

I think the stress hog least of all needs a nerf. Every squad you'll face currently has 1 or 2 indestructible, hyper action economy Acewing ships in it and the stress hog is something that can actually deal with those. Please no.

I think the stress hog least of all needs a nerf. Every squad you'll face currently has 1 or 2 indestructible, hyper action economy Acewing ships in it and the stress hog is something that can actually deal with those. Please no.

The Grandmaster himself told that a stresshog would be an auto-include in his lists. We want to avoid auto-includes.

It would be better if the stressbot would be 'Once per round...' only.

So I guess general consensus is TLT isn't necessarily competitively overpowered like the Phantom was, just more effective than other options, so doesn't necessarily require a nerf more so than the other generic filler ships need a buff?

Edited by VaynMaanen

It's powerful but nowhere near as bad/ boring as phantom or fat turret. The games I've seen have been veried in build so I'm OK with where we're at at the moment.

Plus without TLT the jumpmaster is gunna be a pain.

So I guess general consensus is TLT isn't necessarily competitively overpowered like the Phantom, just more effective than other options, so doesn't necessarily require a nerf more so than the other generic filler ships need a buff?

As I recall, the consensus regarding the TIE Phantom was not very different.

thereby nerfing the stresshog by reducing its range band.

I do think the issue with the TLT is much the same issue with the Fat Han. It's not any one upgrade that's an issue it's a combo that is perhaps greater than it's parts.

just more effective than other options

I don't know, a big part of what makes the TLT attractive is the Fat PWT ships that are still popular. Fat PWT with low agility are the natural prey of the TLT, and if they stop being plentiful you'll see room in the ecosystem for other things.

It's also not like a TLT is an autowin or anything. You can't just stick one on a Y-Wing and destroy all comers. In the Store Champ I played there weren't many of them and the people I played managed to limit the effectiveness of mine.

The biggest losers in a TLT-heavy meta are agility 2 ships that are unable to equip Autothrusters. The old X-Wings for example.

Granting defenders the range 3 bonus when attacked outside of the attackers firing arc would be the best way to tone down the TLT.

So I guess general consensus is TLT isn't necessarily competitively overpowered like the Phantom, just more effective than other options, so doesn't necessarily require a nerf more so than the other generic filler ships need a buff?

apart from Ties who got that sexy crackshot

playing non-TLT generics is an exercise in dice-related frustration, most of the time. We're about to get a whole lot of exceptions with the incoming ordnance buffs ala scanners and chips

Here's the thing, TLT's are good but not great. Mass TLT's (3 and 4 ship variants) have won some GSC's. Far more often a mass TLT list will either not make the cut or make the cut but then fizzle out before the finals.

TLT's have weaknesses that can be exploited. In my own personal opinion much of the concern over TLT swarms comes out of local meta's that aren't developed as much as others. In some of those arenas where not enough people have figured out how to beat them it gives a false impression that they are overpowered.

Again, that's not to say TLT's aren't good. They are good. And for 6 points a pop they should be. It's a far cry from the Phantom issue that was developing and would have gotten worse. The nice thing about the Phantom errata was that it left the ship in a good place. Still extremely powerful but with a little more vulnerability. And many people would also tell you that the Phantom rule change also helped out the low pilot skill versions of that ship as well.

TLT isn't going to get out of hand. If anything Worlds and the GSC's have simply confirmed they are not overpowered.

The biggest losers in a TLT-heavy meta are agility 2 ships that are unable to equip Autothrusters. The old X-Wings for example.

Granting defenders the range 3 bonus when attacked outside of the attackers firing arc would be the best way to tone down the TLT.

This is the current leading contender in my head for a fix.  It's slight, but just enough that it's not an automatic damage.

I think that would make the ships that are already strong against TLT almost too strong.

Most ships that do well against the TLT tend to do so because of being able to close to Range 1.  Green dice only offer so much protection.

Edited by rabid1903

I think that would make the ships that are already strong against TLT almost too strong.

The benefits for the game would be much greater then the downsides.

Which one would you make 'too strong'? The only one that comes to my mind is Soontir. And Soontir is very unforgiving once he got blocked or double stressed.