Sign in to follow this  
MrDodger

UK players - can anyone recommend a decent laser level?

I see these used a lot on batrep videos for checking arcs etc but the ones I've seen either have terrible reviews or are very expensive. I've seen one suggested for US players that looks like a small pen.

Does anyone have a good experience with one they can recommend? I'm ideally looking to grab one from Amazon or eBay.

Cheers!

That's the one I've got. I think the Army Painter one is perfectly serviceable, though.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've actually be finding the Army Painter one too inaccurate to be useful, and has nearly caused a couple of bad calls. No idea if it's just that brand, though. Or even just our shaky hands. :P

That's the one I've got. I think the Army Painter one is perfectly serviceable, though.

As I mentioned in another thread, I've actually be finding the Army Painter one too inaccurate to be useful, and has nearly caused a couple of bad calls. No idea if it's just that brand, though. Or even just our shaky hands. :P

I think that's kind of the nature of the beast, to be honest. Getting a steady line without it wobbling enough to make a judgement call necessary is pretty difficult when you're doing it freehand. I only use the laser if there are too many obstructions on or around the line I'm trying to measure to use a physical range ruler. And to be honest, I think that's OK. X-Wing is inherently a bit imprecise, even without ships or obstacles getting accidentally nudged, so if things are close enough that a wobbly laser or a slightly misplaced measure could put something in or out of arc, I'm generally happy to dice for it.

This one is £20 but rock solid:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Line-lasermodule-650nm-15x68mm-class/dp/B00820Y4FW/ref=sr_1_18

...I always felt the Army Painter one to be a bit flimsy in comparison.

I also use this one it's a solid choice.

Me too.

I considered the Army Painter one but there seems to be a reasonable number of people saying that the line it outputs isn't perfectly straight. I decided that for the sake of another £10 it wasn't worth the risk...buy cheap and buy twice as they say.

I built one (you can adjust it perfectly) by going on eBay and looking up a "green laser pointer".  The one that comes with the lithium battery is the one.  Just need that and a 60 degree laser line lens.  MUCH brighter than the red ones, especially if you play imperial as much as I do :D  As a cool side note, you can experiment with the lens (rotate it off axis, off plane, etc) and you can see just how to "bend" a laser.  Its a pretty cool effect.

Get the laser, 60 degree lens, remove the front of the laser housing and you'll see a copper laser focusing housing.  Rotate the lens with the jagged parts facing out along the top of that housing until your line is perfect, then superglue it down.  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Laser-Pointer-Adjustable-KAUF-Focus-1mw-Pen-532nm-Burning-Beam-Light-Lazer-/351468704524?hash=item51d52ad30c:g:9cUAAOSwT6pVuzip

Edited by jonnyd

http://www.gardenmachinesltd.co.uk/bdecker-manual-leveling-laser-51463-p.asp?gclid=COOzysPii8sCFUSVGwod5iEPFg

I got one of these. It's a bit pricey compare to the army painter one but

1) the laser beam is true, no bend like is a problem in a lot of the cheaper ones (due to cheap lenses)

2) if, like me, your hand shakes like you have a neurological disease the standard 'pens' are useless as it's impossible to keep the laser directly over the arc line. With this, you can rest it on the table and line it up with the ships arc and avoid shaky hand syndrome all together. Of course if you prefer you can just use it like a normal own and hold it over the table.

As an added bonus the width of the laser is the exact width of the firing arc line on the ship chits. I've seen a few pen lasers where the line is 4 X the thickness of the firing arc line making it impossible to accurately check arcs anyway

Edited by Rauhughes